Need advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Well ive already started my collection of reptiles (not so big) but I really want to start breeding a pair of reptiles. I was thinking towards geckos but i was really wanting to know what everyone started out with and the EASIEST to breed. Anything would be apprectiated and say dimmensions of breeding enclosures and what is required to begin a project :D

thick tail geckos are very easy to breed ive heard, most geckos are easy to breed you just need the fundamentals, a male, a female, a lay box, a box with vermiculture to go into the incubator, and after incubation small tubs for your little bubs, make sure the tubs have a good section with a heatmat.!

i was thinking of getting thick tailed geckos but they are too expensive . i can only find them at $150 and above ...

Even in melbourne. $100ea. Nearly got some from a bloke in melbourne 2yrs ago. Didnt cause it cost too much to freight.

Thanks for all the replies i was also thinking about thick tails But i just havnt seen many around my area ;P the main things ive seen are Knob tails and im not sure about them

Knob tails are alright. Alot like a thick tail just need it kept hotter. 2ft cage, sandy substrate, heat mat under one end, 28-30C warm end and room temperature at the cool end.

So i really want to start a breeding program of sorts BUT can anyone recommend a type of gecko that is easy to care for easy to breed and dont need a SHIZ load of space.. All that and pictures and dimmensions would be awesome but any thing would help :p

Bynoes Geckos are easy to breed and they need little space. get the parthenegens. they dont need a male to produce fertile eggs and there all females.

Hmmm So what are you talking by 'little space' and so i would just get 1 female or 2 females

Yeah pretty much. A 7 litre ive heard does the job but i'd probably go at least 10-15 litre storage container with pleanty of air holes in the lid.

long, they dont really climb but i give everything the chance so i put a branch in their enclosure and they actually use it. Not all the time but they do. Still dont get a tall enclosure. 45cm long exoterra would be fine.

Dont waste money on an exo terra, they are really expensive just get a few nice tubs keep one gecko in each then when they are ready to breed put them into a slightly bigger tub. So if you wanted a pair of knob tails then get three tubs (one for each and one for breeding) you can build a small rack system to store the tubs in if you want as well.

I do agree with reptilefan, exo terras are a waist for ground dwelling geckos like bynoes. 15 litre storage container would do fine.

or you could build a tank out of wood my marbled gecko tank is made of wood. only $10 we needed if i was to buy it , it would of costed $120

Well i know Exo Terra is a waste of money but i would like to see the geckos ;P And i would like to make it into a nice 'centrepiece' almost but not too crazy
I know the more i put in the less ill see them so i have taken that into account but i also like to have a nice little setup .. BUT saying that it would be a costly setup at that as ive seen a medium exo terra go for 250 atleast.
You talking like the click clack tubs that you can buy from like coles or something ? because ive never used it but i know if i was to breed them i would have to start.

Im thinking more into Bynoes or Spiny tails or something along those lines although all these geckos appeal to me ;P its just i want something that is fairly easy to breed and isnt afraid to be picked up. Like i would think that the climbing geckos would give some gried but im thinking if ive got something that will have a heart attack (yes yes i know it is an exaggeration) BUT i want soemthing that will be fairly calm so it can be moved for cleaning or taking out to show (not to hold like my beardy) so yeah if anything along those lines help.

I understand the end choice is what i like and prefer but i LOVE feedback from people who are not there just to sell the critter but to help my choice ;D

Cheers Zac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back