Need help on choosing my first lizard..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exotic_Doc

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would greatly appreciate it if you guy could tell me about some cool med-large lizards/or monitors i can get on my class 1 lisence. Appreciate it...and if you could post piccies that would be awesome !!

What do you consider medium-large? When I think of bigger lizards generally monitors come to mind. You can only get Sand or Black-tailed monitors on class 1 though

Could be wrong but think that gekoes and bearded dragons are class 1 they would make ideal first lizard.My first lizard was a lace monitor but good to start small work your way up me I like being different.

You can only get Sand or Black-tailed monitors on class 1 though
I think it changed recently, the species list I got about a month ago has four Class 1 monitors, Ridge-tailed (V. acanthurus), Pygmy Mulga (V. gilleni), sand (V. gouldii) and Black-tailed (V. tristis).
I have Ackies (V. acanthurus) and they are great, very entertaining to watch. When it comes to handling monitors in general (there are always exceptions) aren't as good when compared to something like a beardy. Mine don't mind it too much, but they are always on the move and have pretty sharp claws.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I am really keen on a monitor. Any of the ones mention dont grow too big? My enclosure is 120x45x45. I think i will need to settle with something smaller though. Beardies are beautiful but so common.can you guys most some pics pleaaase :):)

Last edited:
The only R1 monitors that would be suitable for an enclosure that size are pygmy mulga monitors and ridge tail monitors (ackies). Like Robo1 said monitors generally aren't great handlers so if handling your pet is important to you then you should look at a bearded dragon or blue tongue, both would be fine in your enclosure.

Beardies actually get quite big (centrals reach 45cm+ in total length) and become quite tame so that my be a good choice. They are a lot cheaper than monitors too.

Last edited:
Yeah like has been said accies and pygmy mulgas are probably the only thing you could (should) put in an enclosure that size

I think it changed recently, the species list I got about a month ago has four Class 1 monitors, Ridge-tailed (V. acanthurus), Pygmy Mulga (V. gilleni), sand (V. gouldii) and Black-tailed (V. tristis).
I have Ackies (V. acanthurus) and they are great, very entertaining to watch. When it comes to handling monitors in general (there are always exceptions) aren't as good when compared to something like a beardy. Mine don't mind it too much, but they are always on the move and have pretty sharp claws.

Sorry yeah I meant those two are the only "medium-large" monitors on class 1.

I'm waiting for my class 2 to arrive so I can get a lacie later in the year. I can't wait :)

personally unless you've had experience in keeping lizards/monitors before and you want to be able to handle your animal consistantly, i would recommend a beardie due to how docile they are. they are active but from what i've learnt from my boy they feel you emotion ie when your sad they comfort you, when your mad they give you 'that look', good to go for a walk with, watch tv (yoda's fave movie is the exorcism of emily rose) talk to when no-one else will listen. just as a starter, or am i just being a girl and to emotional for you fellas.

If you think beardies are beautiful shouldn't it be irrelevant that they are common? Beardies make fantastic pets.

Beardies are common for a reason, they make great pets. Would it be fair to say it's comparable to dogs and cats...? Beardies like to sit with you and keep you company, but monitors just want to do their own thing. As said, for a 120x45x45, you could keep ackies and pygmy mulgas in there, but with monitors the more room you give them the more entertaining they are.

Sorry Lambert, way too emotional for me! ;)

I think beardies are good old people pets because like has been said they will happily just sit with you. They are too boring for my liking though. Maybe that's what Exotic Doc meant.

no worries Robo1...must just be a beardie and me thing.

Thank you so much guys i appreciate it....I guess ill be going for a beardie then !! Ive dealt with snakes but this is going to be my first lizard. Love this site everyone is soo helpfull !!cheers
PS: I was just after something abit unique thats all, but hey from your opinions and it really does seem they are awesome ive decided to go for one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back