Need some advice with enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundy07

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe I put this in the wrong location last time so will try again
I am currently building a new enclosure for my stimson python and have a few questions,
currently he is homed in a roughly 500 x 500 x 600 with a heat lamp on top which is controlled via thermostat to keep
hot end at correct temp at all times and has been more than happy for a few years, the new enclosure will be 700x500x500
and as it is taller a bit unsure as how to setup, I would like to go a more natural setup as in 14 hrs daylight and turn of heat lamp
for 10 hrs at night and only run a black light or blue light for viewing and create moonlight effect, both lights controlled on a timer
but still use the thermostat to control heat.
As per picture I am making a fake rock wall with heat lamp roughly 25cm above ledge on lefthand side which I may make lower and have
another light in centre for viewing and moonlight, I will have his hide down the bottom with water bowl with which I am considering making
that part of the rock wall then sand substrate for rest of enclosure, vents will be top and bottom and left to right do you think this
will be ok for him, and being as he is used to having heat lamp come on and off during the night will he be fine adjusting to no heat lamp at night,
Im assuming the enclosure will get some heat at night with viewing light.
Hopefully all that made sense, any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 87
Here you go: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/new-mac-enclosure-tv-cabinet-197746/

I have a 1.2m Mac and she loves this enclosure. You don't need the heat light on the whole time. If you want light hours run an LED strip for general lighting that is supplimented by a heat light on a timer or thermo. If you want to give your snake ready access to warmth run a heat tile. Give your snake some hides and let it go as in nature night time temps drop and so long as they can curl up in something they will be fine as they do retain heat. My enclosure drops in winter down to around 9 or 10* and gets to an ambient temp at the warm end of 18-22* in summer the warm end is mid to high twenties.

Last edited:
Awesome build mate I have thought about heat cords but just dont know where I would put it now as I dont really want to start over with the rock wall, the setup I have had for the past 6 yrs has just been a light on one end of the enclosure with a thermostat set bout 30 odd degrees constant with a smooth rock under neath and a hide in cool side and never had any problems always been healthy snake, Im assuming it will be pretty much the same as what I have now only the hot end will be up top and cooler end down below, thats the plan anyway. I may just run the same setup only put a timer on it so it keeps it hot during the day but cools down thru the night and maybe have a blue light which I can turn on for viewing at night . thoughts?

Put a heat tile on the bottom off your enclosure and just run it in through the base of your rock wall. Also your rock wall isn't that advanced yet that you couldn't cut in and adapt it to accept a heat shelf of some design. This is the problem with asking for advice after you have already made a significant start. I just thought you could get some ideas from the build I did.

My main point is that your heat light does not need to run for the full time you are thinking about and if it did you would probably get temps that are far too high anyway.

Put a heat tile on the bottom off your enclosure and just run it in through the base of your rock wall. Also your rock wall isn't that advanced yet that you couldn't cut in and adapt it to accept a heat shelf of some design. This is the problem with asking for advice after you have already made a significant start. I just thought you could get some ideas from the build I did.

I know, asked this question before I started the build and never got one reply with 80 views, and couldnt wait to start, the light isnt always on it turns on and off to regulate the heat in one end just thinking of changing it for this enclosure to only during the day as it could be slighty stressfull at night, will consider heat cord down bottom just not sure where to put it.I want to have a floor piece similar to the rock wall with a water bowl built into that for a more natural look (thats the plan haha) and red sand substrate to fill up the left hand side.

Just a little confused now as i have had just a light and thermostat to regulate heat and not let it get t0o hot for 6 years and without any heat mat or cord and my snake has been fine but now I am second guessing myself thinking that maybe I havn't been taking that great a care for him.

The point is you don't want or need the heat light coming on at night. Have it come on and off during the day. If you switch it to being on constantly during the day it will make the enclosure too hot by the end of the day. Even without getting the replies to your earlier thread I think a bit more homework in the archive of DIY threads you may have found your answers and some design ideas that incorporate the features you want.

Either way it is up to you to make of it what you do, I drop in from time to time and try to help where I can but I'm not here to be the voice of God who says there is only one way to setup an enclosure.

Besides what's so terrible about starting over it's just styrofoam and if you go to places like Harvey Norman you can get more than you can use for free.

ok I dont think I have explained myself properly, The light was never goin to be on constantly during the day it was always going to be on and off with a thermostat was just thinking bout have a night light aswell and I did look at the diy threads and as there was nothing specific to my enclosure size and species I have I thought it better to just ask the question I like to hear other peoples opinions and ideas and take them onboard as I have with you, And I actually used more expand foam than styrofoam which is messy and am quite happy with it so far. Anysway I think i will have a blue light just for viewing purposes only and so I dont disturb him so much at night and let it cool down naturally

Oh ok, yeah I miss understood in that case. I found that my Mac during winter woud often go at night and curl up on the heat tile so it is something you may want to think more about. Otherwise the blue light sounds fine. I just turn on the LED strip and she doesn't seem bothered but then again I'm not up all that late. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back