Need the Ultimate Beardie Feeding Guide (Meal Plan?)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hectikk

Reaction score
Hi there, I will be picking up a brand new baby beardie in about 2 weeks. I've done a ton of research on them and got lots and lots of varied opinions on how to care for them. I am all set up and ready to go besides one thing, feeding.

So I was wondering if someone could write me up the ultimate feeding guide which includes:
- What to feed them from baby-adult
- How much to feed them
- Best time of the day to feed
- How often you feed them (per day, per week)
- Where to feed them if you have certain substrates
- Hand feeding

I need to know everything about crickets/other live critters (buying in bulk)
- How many should I buy at a time from baby-adult (500, 1000, 2000)
for example, if I buy 1000 3 day old crickets for a baby would they be to big for it a week later? so would buying the smaller packs from petstores be a better choice until theyre older?
- How to keep bulk crickets
- What to feed
- Where to buy (Im from Melb, found this website: ARCade - The frogs.org.au Store thoughts?)

Everything about calcium, vitamins etc etc.

Before I bring home the lizard what should I have?

So yeah just basically EVERYTHING, maybe you could set this out as your own personal day-by-day meal plan as that would help put things into perspective. Obviously specific quantities will vary from lizard to lizard, but if you have cared for more than one averages will do.

I do know a little bit about a few things above and of course the breeder will tell me about some of this but I would like to be prepared. Also I have cared for a blue-tongue before so I do know a little bit, but this is a completely different lizard and these guys seem to need that little bit extra care as after a lot of research i've noticed people are very picky about what they feed their beardies. However, no one gives specifics.

So if someone could provide me with the FULL run down on everything I need to know about feeding a Bearded Dragon that'd be awesome and im sure it will help a ton of other people as well, not just me.

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:
this has been posted in here before so i hope its ok for me to post it again, its not australian but has all the information that your asking for

Beautiful Dragons

it should answer all your questions, as for the crickets i would just buy the small containers for now until its eating the biggest ones then you can breed them, crickets are fussy as they need heat but woodies are easier

hopefully there will be a few sellers of bulk crickets/woodies who will see this and come in and offer you advice on how to breed them

if your going to have sand etc (though when young its best to use just paper on the floor) in the cage then feeding them in a larger container is the best way to do live foods, however vegies can be placed in a bowl inside the enclosure, feeding can be varied from morning to early afternoon you just have to remember to give them plenty of time to get under their basking light to disgest the food before turning it off for the night, usually an hour after the light goes on and an hour before it goes off at night

this is a link to a site owned by a member here, just found it when i was searching for something of his and as its previously been posted i cant see why it cant be posted here

Brettix Reptiles

Last edited:
What Jeannine said. All the information you need to know can be found there. Diet wise....woodies/crix as staples with the odd mealworms as a treat. Vegies - if u click on that link u will find a plethora of information and can't go wrong.

Make sure u keep up the calcium and multivitamins (phosphate free) but with beta carotene.

For lighting I used the Megaray 100w self ballasted Mercury Vapour Bulb. You can pick up one of these at Amazing Amazon. Use an ES fitting and don't be surprised but this more likely will provide both your UVA/UVB and heating requirements.

Make sure veges are finely chopped.

With regards to feeding - never feed within an hour of lights going on the morning or within an hour of lights going off at night. Beardies need UV to aid in digestion of food otherwise food can rot in their stomachs = not a nice situation.

Cheers and good luck with it.

oops forgot to mention and this is something i didnt know at first either never leave uneaten crickets in the enclosure as they will attack the BD and can cause them injuries another reason i feed outside of crickets enclosure in a separate container

View attachment food_list.pdf well, l spent 20 minutes writting a guide for you.. i was almost to the point of posting it and my pc had a seniors moment and shut down for no apparent reason.
ANyway, i have decided that l am not goingt o re point what l had written bnecause quite frankly researching is the only way to learn..
research, read, read and research some more. Most of the answers to your questions are right here, in post.. just take a wonder back thru a couple of threads and use the search button.
I will however post the food guide i use.

Thanks all, and sorry to hear that ajandj. However, I will put that food list to good use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back