Need Urgent Help On Force Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate in greatly if some of the more experienced herp keepers could give me some advice on force feeding my Central Netted Dragon.

He was very ill and skinny as well as lethargic, he has picked up now and i want to try force feeding him.
How do i go about doing this?
What do i feed him?
What size syringe do i need?

He is around 22-25cm, and has not eaten for over a week. My mum and I have been bathing him and trying to keep him cool and hydrated, i have minimised the heat and maximised the air flow in his enclosure.

What else can i do, to try and help him to feel better?

Thank you

Also u should be keeping him warm not cool
Put him back to normal temps and if doesn't improve take him to a vet asap as force feeding should only be done under vet advice unless ur an experienced keeper

Ive looked at that, in order to get a persription what do i do? Ive heard baby food, or something is also good? He is still warm, but what i meant to say is that he isnt over heating

Ok ive also heard that you can get them feeding on crickets by opening their mouths, as you indicated on your thread and placing a cricket inside? Will they chew by them selves, should i try this before i try the prescription food?

Dont use baby food
If ur going to force feed see ur vet first and they will advise u on whats appropriate
People will tell u all types of different things on here, 90% of them will be wrong or ill advised on a sick lizard
The only person u should take solid advice from is your vet

Okay thanks for your help, ive just called a vet and i will hopefully be getting there on Monday as none of their Reptile/Exotic Vets are in Tommorow.
As far as tempretures go basking spot is around 42 to 45, hot end around 32 to 38 and the cool end is sitting at 22 to 25.

Okay i can do that no problem.
Thanks for your advice, good luck with your netteds as well. Seem's we are in a bit of strife.

Yeah thanks and good luck
I hope urs is alot better looking than mine
What has happened to mine is the result of someone dicking around when they should just taken them to the vet in the first place

You should be going to a Vet first before attempting to force feed.
If you are after instructions on how to force feed, I will have a punt & suggest that your experience level is not great enough to identify health issues, especially underlying ones.
I'm not having a cheap shot at you, lack of experience is not an issue, except when attempting something that you don't fully understand. There is a possibility that you can do more harm than good.

Okay thanks for your help, ive just called a vet and i will hopefully be getting there on Monday as none of their Reptile/Exotic Vets are in Tommorow.
As far as tempretures go basking spot is around 42 to 45, hot end around 32 to 38 and the cool end is sitting at 22 to 25.

those temps are good

Thanks Gary. Hopefully when i see the vet tommorow everything will be sorted out for better or worse.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Update:

Samson has been checked in to the North Shore Veterainery clinic for observation for a few days. They will try and force feed him and give him anti biotics, good news is that there is no obvious signs of Parasites. I will just have to wait it out for a few days to see how he does, doctors say that if his condition doesnt improve in the next few days there isnt any thing much anyone can do....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back