Needing Advice -New carpet python owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan_tice

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
So I am 18 and just bought my first snake, I bought a 6 year old Carpet python that is already good at handling. I have owned the snake for 2 weeks, the first 4 days I took him out everyday for around 30 minutes to an hour, the snake seemed to enjoy this. I have been very busy with uni the last week and haven’t taken him out in 5 days, I went to handle him yesterday and he struck, but after I was holding him properly he settled down but seemed to want to go back into his enclosure. Then today I went to handle him again and he didn’t seem to want to come out and when I did go hook him out he just slid back into his enclosure.
I am unsure as to if he is sick, doesn’t want to be handled or hungry?
The last owner said he is due for his good on the 12th of April.
Could I please get some advice,
Thanks

Hey Guys,
So I am 18 and just bought my first snake, I bought a 6 year old Carpet python that is already good at handling. I have owned the snake for 2 weeks, the first 4 days I took him out everyday for around 30 minutes to an hour, the snake seemed to enjoy this. I have been very busy with uni the last week and haven’t taken him out in 5 days, I went to handle him yesterday and he struck, but after I was holding him properly he settled down but seemed to want to go back into his enclosure. Then today I went to handle him again and he didn’t seem to want to come out and when I did go hook him out he just slid back into his enclosure.
I am unsure as to if he is sick, doesn’t want to be handled or hungry?
The last owner said he is due for his good on the 12th of April.
Could I please get some advice,
Thanks
Hey mate, im quite new to the reptile game also.. the only thing i can say is dont think into it to much, as much as id love to take my snake out everyday and handle her, sometimes you have to just try read there body language as they may just not want to be touched and left alone ya get me.. doesn't mean hes sick or anything, well i hope not.. i took mine out before for about 15 min to clean out her enclosure, then wanted to keep handling her, but somtimes you just have to think of the snake over yourself, cause 100% its no benefit for the snake being handled its for your amusement not there's.. hope that helped, good luck with everyrhing.

Send us a pic anyways brother, would love to see him

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mate, here is a pic of him.
He also Breathes really loud, like I can hear him breathe, is this normal or could he have respiratory issues? It sounds just like if you breathe in through your nose and out moderately hard. I’m unsure if I should be worried or take him to a vet. What do you think?

23EE53E2-4492-438F-A282-C5C39B28A4DC.jpeg
[doublepost=1585435797,1585388874][/doublepost]
He also Breathes really loud, like I can hear him breathe, is this normal or could he have respiratory issues? It sounds just like if you breathe in through your nose and out moderately hard. I’m unsure if I should be worried or take him to a vet. What do you think?

23EE53E2-4492-438F-A282-C5C39B28A4DC.jpeg
Hey mate, im quite new to the reptile game also.. the only thing i can say is dont think into it to much, as much as id love to take my snake out everyday and handle her, sometimes you have to just try read there body language as they may just not want to be touched and left alone ya get me.. doesn't mean hes sick or anything, well i hope not.. i took mine out before for about 15 min to clean out her enclosure, then wanted to keep handling her, but somtimes you just have to think of the snake over yourself, cause 100% its no benefit for the snake being handled its for your amusement not there's.. hope that helped, good luck with everyrhing.

Send us a pic anyways brother, would love to see him

^

View attachment 328829
[doublepost=1585435797,1585388874][/doublepost]

^
I think hes fine man. Ive as long as the breathing isn't like a sort of crackling sound he will be sweet

Back