Nephrurus Stellatus gecko care

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chondro_Crazy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Soon I am hopefully getting a pair of nephrurus Stellatus geckos and I want to know their requirements and for heating I am thinking of using heat cord from herp shop can this be used without a thermostat ?.;)

Heat cords are generally used to heat them as they can be housed in tubs. They are sand loving excavator extraordinares that spend about 90% of their lives away from view in their burrows. Keep the soil moist at the cool end, give a thermal and depth gradient and provide hides at each end of the tub. Keep them individually and feed them crickets and this seems to work for me. Definitely use a thermostat to monitor and control the temperature.

However, they appear to be quite fragile and unforgiving and if they don't like the way they're kept, deteriorate and die quickly so I suggest getting some experience with other Nephrurus (such as the levis subspecies) before going for N.stellatus.

The Nephrurus levis species is comprised of three subspecies: N.l.levis (the most widespread, central ranges), N.l.occidentalis (the most westerly) and N.l.pilbarensis (Pilbara restricted). Some texts suggest they are geographically isolated and some state they follow through, mixing with one another. They can interbreed and lost genetic integrity by doing so, so most breeders will not house different subspecies together.

These geckos are much more 'beginner friendly' than N.stellatus and are extremely undemanding captives that feed well and breed readily in a captive setting. They are also significantly less costly than N.stellatus.

Indeed. I keep my N.l.levis breeding pairs together year round. Some people opt to separate them though. It's completely up to you.

Do you feed them less in the peak of Winter, just before the breeding season as mine don't really eat much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back