Netted Dragons 'vs' Bearded Dragons?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M-Van86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what the differences in care needs and such are between Central Netted Dragons and Bearded Dragons?

I've seen both species in a local store, am gonna buy a lizard in the future (and only have enough room for one) and I like them both a lot so just wanted to know more.

sorry i cant help you on this, but im pretty sure its mostly the same

but may i ask which store it was ?

Nick

Well... I know if you're after something you can handle I'd go with the bearded - they're generally great lizards and very hardy.

Netteds are an active lizard with alot of personality, beardies are usually so docile you can flick them in the face and they wouldn't care (not that i would lol), they will usually sit in the same spot unless its feeding time.
If you want a lizard thats fun to watch get a Netted (if your only getting one then get a male) and try to get a pair as they are really fun to watch interacting.
If you want a lizard thats really hardy and will sit on your head get a beardie
Netteds dont require as much space either, you can keep a pair in a 3 footer, beardies you should provide need at least 4 foot for a pair

re:Geckoman, its true, my beardie regularly crawls up and perches himself on my head while i watch tv!

beardies are really quite 'boring' in the sense that they dont do much most of the day, but they are really easy to keep, and they are cool little fellas. very relaxed, and very forgiving. excellent pets, if you dont want something that will run around all day (or at all).

Thanks for the replies so far guys :)

Since it's being pointed out as a factor I should consider:

I want a fairly active Lizard that I can enjoy looking at and watching move around in daylight, as my Spotted Python (cool as he is) usually hides under his newspaper all day. But I would also like to be able to handle the Lizard.

Which species does that best describe?

Oh and also beardies stink to high hell, you havent smelt a rank dropping until you have had a beardie that ate 50 Silkworms the day before, they also make alot more mess.
Netteds dropping are alot smaller and easier to manage, they also hardly smell at all.

You can handle netteds but they dont like it, besides you will soon grow bored of handling them anyway.
Beardies are really the only lizard i can think of that dont mind regular handling, but as already said they dont do much apart from eat and bask.

I think Blue tongues can be handled but i haven't kept them so im sure someone else will let you know if thats an option for you

Also, buy from a private breeder. Between here, herptrader, gumtree, petlink and petpages you will find something far cheaper and in better health than what you'd find at totally reptiles. I go in there occasionally as it's my local reptile store to get emergency crickets. Their bearded dragons look terribly unhealthy as do most of their animals. Tiny enclosures and insufficient lighting for most of them.

You seem to be describing an Ackie monitor, btw. I don't own one, but soon will. Apparently very active, but can be relatively handle-able with some effort. Beardies are crazy easy to handle, but not very entertaining to watch. I have a hunch that there isn't too much going on upstairs with them....

Also, buy from a private breeder. Between here, herptrader, gumtree, petlink and petpages you will find something far cheaper and in better health than what you'd find at totally reptiles. I go in there occasionally as it's my local reptile store to get emergency crickets. Their bearded dragons look terribly unhealthy as do most of their animals. Tiny enclosures and insufficient lighting for most of them.
Hhmm, I've always found the Reps at Totally Reptiles to be looking healthy and active with enough room - as opposed to an Aquarium I know that sells Reps and Fish, now those animals look absolutely miserable and pathetic.

Eh, they are ok. I've seen worse, but I've seen a lot better. Recently the beardies i've seen in there (about 3-4 weeks ago) seemed to be looking underweight and lethargic. They are also charging insane prices for certain things. If you can be bothered, it's seriously worth it to just go to a breeder directly.

Eh, they are ok. I've seen worse, but I've seen a lot better. Recently the beardies i've seen in there (about 3-4 weeks ago) seemed to be looking underweight and lethargic. They are also charging insane prices for certain things. If you can be bothered, it's seriously worth it to just go to a breeder directly.
Haven't seen many reptile stores around (maybe I live in the wrong part of the state) so don't have too much to judge by but I've always thought they look fairly good. The Aquarium I mentioned, they don't have enough staff and so the animals don't look too good - nor do the enclosures (mess, lots of condensation on the windows).

Some of the price things are true enough though.

One of the issues I've had with this place is, I have often walked in to fine 3-4 staff members standing around, chatting to someone else in the store, presumably a delivery guy they know well. Whilst this is happening there is usually atleast 2, sometimes much more, uncleaned poos in the lizard enclosures.

Basically by 'seen better', I mean I've seen better in peoples homes.... I imagine it is very hard to run a viable shop whilst still keeping the animals in the kind of condition we enthusiasts like to keep them.

One of the issues I've had with this place is, I have often walked in to fine 3-4 staff members standing around, chatting to someone else in the store, presumably a delivery guy they know well. Whilst this is happening there is usually atleast 2, sometimes much more, uncleaned poos in the lizard enclosures.

Basically by 'seen better', I mean I've seen better in peoples homes.... I imagine it is very hard to run a viable shop whilst still keeping the animals in the kind of condition we enthusiasts like to keep them.
Yeah, I've noticed they do get side tracked talking a lot - and when it's to someone who tends to hang around one does wonder why they can't go around doing things while they're talking. That said the Aquarium I'm referring to only ever has 1-2 people on call, so unless it's a quiet day they've too busy dealing with customers to do anything.

I still remember the last time I went in, there were a group of blue-tongues together in an enclosure that had condensation on the glass, I think there were some insects in there as well, and they just looked so miserable (if I go back and see it like that again I'll be tempted to call the Department)... And a lot of the others tended to just stay put or more really slowly.

By comparison the animals at Totally always seem fairly upbeat (I've certainly never seen one that made me think it was miserable), active, usually well fed and comfy.

Definitely is an area that having a business in would be difficult, cause you have to try to find a balancing act between the business stuff and the animals needs.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I'd definitely like to be able to handle whatever I get and see it moving around - seems like a bit of a pickle from what I'm hearing; Beardies don't mind being handled but are a little lazy, Netteds don't like being handled but are active and interesting.

Just to clear it up, I reckon totally reptiles is one of the better stores around, at least in melbourne. That's not saying much though.

I liked my beardie a lot, but I got rid of him because, despite how good he was to handle, I just don't find them to be hugely engaging animals. Monitors are my favourite, but I'm very glad I did the time with a good beginner reptile like a beardie because I learned a lot with an animal that is quite forgiving.

Just to clear it up, I reckon totally reptiles is one of the better stores around, at least in melbourne. That's not saying much though.

I liked my beardie a lot, but I got rid of him because, despite how good he was to handle, I just don't find them to be hugely engaging animals. Monitors are my favourite, but I'm very glad I did the time with a good beginner reptile like a beardie because I learned a lot with an animal that is quite forgiving.
Ah okay. I must confess there have been times their habit of talking to someone rather than giving me service or checking their animals has got on my nerves so I can understand where you're coming from. Still I've had good advice and help from them so it's a balancing thing.

Yeah it's certainly sad, especially considering how many cool reptiles we have in Australia, that there aren't a lot of Reptile stores. Hhhmm, yeah I can understand that - the fact my Spotted Python hides under his newspaper during the day makes him a little less engaging (although I find it's made up for a little when he's moving about at night and when I handle him).

Got to say I'm not sure I want something that'll look good in a viv but won't take kindly to me handling it (not that I'll be picking it up every minute of every day that I can; it's a living animal not a toy).

Agreed jbowers, Totally Reptiles is one of the better ones in Metro Melbourne, i have found Menton and Coburg Aquariums are reasonably good too, however the selection of reptiles is not quite as large

I have 4 young beardies around the 8month age, all totally different. They are set up beside my computer so i can watch them all the time. They all have different personalities, One is just lazy just chills all day till Feeding but doesnt like being handled to much, one just loves climbing and just falls asleep on you when handle her. One is just crazy all the time just loves to 'hunt' When i handle her she just tries to get higher by climbing my shirt (my Favourite child).

I dont know much about Netted Dragons so i cant say anything nice.With beardies just be sure to stay ontop of thier droppings like gecko said cause they get alittle smelly if your not careful.

But If you were considering Sand monitors i hear good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back