New 10xx5m outdoor pit.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imalizard

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
New 10mx5m outdoor pit.

Well the pond is pretty much complete! It's been running for nearly 6 months now and haven't had a healthier pond. It's just amazing what a large volume of water can do (10,000ltrs) compared to my old small pond(2,000ltrs). The large bog filter has kept the water crystal clear and the water very fresh.

I used to have a lot of problems with disease in my old pond, shell rot in particular. I now put that down to small water volume and although my old bog filter was good, I was lacking in flow due to blockages somewhere in the pipes.

Only maintenance I do with this pond now is top the pond up and remove the string algae from the mesh inlet before it goes into the blue barrel.

I took the opportunity to go swimming in this pond during the summer. I felt like I was in a creek, turtles were swimming gracefully around the pond while schools of rainbow fish darted past my goggles. I witnessed a gudgeon eat a small fish and the large amount of shrimp on the logs looking for food through the algae. Even got my toe nipped by a nice blue yabby which I put in as a baby.

The only thing I have to do now is add more plants to the pond and I should be done. I think I have hit the right levels of biodiversity on the head which makes this pond so healthy.

Currently holds one beardy, a shingleback, one blue tongue and 6 turtles :)

Any way enough talk and onto the pictures!DSCF8241.jpgDSCF8247.jpgDSCF8239.jpg

Cheers Daniel
Big%20Smile.gif

Last edited:
very cool enclosure!! awesome pond! whish i had the space for that and a backyard lol
did you say you swam in that pond??:shock:
you must be hella small or im trippin...

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
Well it wasn't a full stroke swim, more of a paddle under water with googles and snorkle :)

Nice pond i would put a shade sale in to cover part of the water and part of the land just to give a better thermal gradient.

Yes we have two shade sails which go over a bit of the land and a bit of the water during the summer, as it's been cooler weather they were removed to allow more heat/light in :)

Great work Daniel. With regards to the fencing, how deep did u dig the trench and how far into the ground is the fencing. I'm thinking along the lines of possible escapees or predators trying to gain access.

With the fence we dug a trench of about 10-15cm deep, we then back filled with white gravel dust and compacted it down. Surprisingly none have even attempted to dig under, I guess with that much space they don't feel as confined :)
I was going to put some mesh down to stop foxes digging under but we have emus and alpacas on both sides and they do a great job of keeping everything away :)

thats awesome!!

just wondering how the shingle or bluey would get out if it fell in the pond bit? or are they smart enough not to?

thats awesome!!

just wondering how the shingle or bluey would get out if it fell in the pond bit? or are they smart enough not to?

I assume they would climb the logs hanging in the water.

Shingles and blueys can swim ;)

Alond with every other species of reptile

I can see that little piece of heaven changing and growing over the next 5 years or so. :)
A couple of huge hollow logs would look unreal, and I love your use of native grass as well.
The changing seasons will prove what is going to live or die plant-wise, what a wonderful project!!!
Love it. :)

Thanks everyone!
The lizards had a few fall ins at the start because they weren't used to what was going on but all of them have learnt now and don't jump in anymore. There is little bathing holes in the creek if any of them want to bathe safely.

Toadcountry, yes in a few years time when everything has grown it should be great! The first good lot of rain has started so need to plant it out some more :)

Having 100 acres you can do a lot ;)
Cheers, Daniel

WOW....I wish i lived on a property where I could build a giant outdoor enclosure for my snakes.

You should make another one and put a Lacie or similiar in there, it would be amazing

Thanks for the link Daniel... :)

Brilliant job,looks absolutely amazing... all that effort with research making your own filtration system & now this... top effort!

How many CBD's would i get in that ???? LOL....

If you need any help with ideas for a frost safe hide for Goliath just give me a buzz.... again kudos Mate,bloody brilliant !!!!

Thanks guys, once everything gets established and the large rocks come it should look good :)

This is the setup you should get R.M.R ;) probably take up most of your backyard though :p Goliath owns all this by himself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back