New Addition the the family. NAME SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theduclos

Reaction score
New Addition to the family. NAME SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

Hey all. Bought ourselves our second pup in 6 months. We already have one black/brindle male staffy "ZEKE" He is a bloody great dog, now around 20kg at 6 months old. We had plans to breed him from day one and just bought him a little bitch (lol) She is around 1.5-2kilo blows up like a ballon when she eats and is 6 weeks old. We are seriously struggling for names over here. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• pupnzeke.JPG
    pupnzeke.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Not sure if u like wine or not u guys but we have taken it upon ourselves to name most of our pets after wines. so far we have Merlot - Greyhound, Shiraz - Rabbit, Bearded Dragon - Lexie (short for Lexia - fruity), our Guinea Pigs are Cab, Sav and Cab Junior and our Siamese Fighter is Pinot.

Cheers.

I don't know why, but Jessie instantly came to mind when I saw her. What a gorgeous girl! :)

What is her registered name? Perhaps you could get some inspiration from that.

theduclos thats funny i posted here last night looking for a name for our new little girl a 6 week old malamute and had some great replys

I think Jazmina [pr Jaz-meena.] She is a cutie. The original rollie-pollie puppy!

yeah i saw the thread about 10 seconds after i posted. funny you say jessie mrmikk. thats the name of my missus lol. i kinda like lexie, asked my sister and its the name of a cousins dog. what do you mean by registered name missb? she is an english staffordshire bull terrier. same as the other dog in the pics.

i think missb means does she have papers they will have a show name my boy jack has a show name of chinzana dancing feather
and abbi was chinzaza eagle feather

Is she pedigreed? I would assume so, if you plan to breed her. I thought maybe the registered name on her papers might provide some inspiration. My partner's Husky is called Brisvoskies Katan, so his kennel name is Kataan (yes, the different spelling is just there to confuse everyone! No really, there is a good explanation but it's a long story....)

(On a side note - if she is not pedigreed, I would advise against using her for breeding - knowing nothing of her bloodlines, any genetic faults she may carry, whether she is a sound example of her breed, et cetera).

nah, my other dog came from two staffy without papers. so i didnt see the point of getting a bitch with papers, as the puppies wouldnt be eligible for them anyway. i realise that it would be better off getting dogs with papers but i dont particularly care enough. nor could we afford the extra cost the papers make the dogs worth. both dogs cost $600 each. which is a common price around melbourne. even if she has a small litter of 5 and they 'only' sell for $500 each we still will make enough money to make it worth while, aswell as having two great dogs.

i would have to agree with missb on the breeding without papers i know it sound alot but have you also thought about the cost of breeding vet bills for the female and all the pups and feeding and selling them cheap to cover cost how do you know where they are going how they will be treated. will you have all the pups microchipped and have their needles done to thats about 150.00 per puppy

No offence intended, but if you are going to breed your dogs purely for the purpose of making a bit of pocket money, then I would suggest doing some research into dog breeding first. Breeding two un-papered dogs is a pretty irresponsible thing to do and there are already plenty of backyard breeders as it is. If you are breeding dogs you should be doing it for the sole purpose of improving the breed. This means breeding from good quality pedigreed dogs, with no health or genetic faults, that are of good type and adhere to the breed standard. Health testing is an expensive exercise, as is raising puppies, having them vaccinated, vet treatment for the bitch (and if she has complications requiring an emergency c-section, for example, your vet bills could run into the thousands). There is not a lot of money to be made in breeding dogs, at least not if you go about it the correct way.

very cute dog my sister has a blue staffy he is so cute but always tripping over his own feet he is inly 16 weeks

Its funny how APS members trust others to name their puppies and reptiles, but we never get consulted when a new baby is born.
Name it widdle
And yes i would have suggested that name even if it was a human baby

i have thought long and hard about it. i'm not gonna be some shifty backyard breeder who will breed the dog at 8 months. get two litters out of her by the time she is 2 years old, and give her away to start again. a dog is a dog for life. 14 years or however long an individual lives for. the plan is to breed her at closer to 2 years of age. or once a vet believes she is right for breeding. but i definately wont be breeding her during her first heat.

yes bloodlines are important. but the whole point of pedigree papers is so that the bloodlines arent being watered down. these dogs could never get papers so as a whole it doesnt affect the breed negatively.

i believe if my dog is healthy and fine to breed then i am going to breed her. if she isnt then i wont. its as simple as that. not everybody can afford nigh on $1000 for a papered dog. nor does everybody see the need for a piece of paper. so long as the dogs in question have a great nature, are well built and healthy (which my male is) then i dont see the point in not breeding them.

Its funny how APS members trust others to name their puppies and reptiles, but we never get consulted when a new baby is born.
Name it widdle
And yes i would have suggested that name even if it was a human baby

its not a matter of trust you get stuck for ideas and just need some help they are only suggestions

No offence Miss B but I disagree. Papers don't make a animal good. I used to breed "pedigree" cattle with papers, show ribbons etc BUT I also had a couple of ordinary dairy cows [ of the same breed but no papers or background records] I herd tested EVERY month without fail and the 9 un-pedigree cows were ALWAYS in the top 20. There are a lot of top animals out there without papers and an equal number of sub-standard pedigrees. Judge an animal on it's OWN merit. Have it tested for genetic defects,[ do Staffies have any? Not familiar with them]. Papers are just that, IMO, paper!!! Only thing it does do is prevent [??] the in-breeding.

the main staffy defect is hip dysplacia. and some individuals suffer from cataracs. i checked out both of zekes parents eyes. aswell as watching them walk and they were fine. the new pups mum was a beautiful healthy girl and her dad which is the only one i didnt get to see was a papered dog. im with you kakariki. any animal should be tested on it's own merit.

Well, I guess this is one of those 'agree to disagree moments then'.

Although I do have a question. If your dog is not pedigreed, you can't show it. If you can't show your dog, how do you know it is a sound representative of it's breed? That it has good conformation, and adheres to the breed standard? "Watching it walk" doesn't cut it, I'm afraid.

And no ethical breeder would pair two dogs without first having them health-tested. Do you plan on having your dogs health-tested? That alone can cost up to $1,000 per animal. That's potentially $2,000 out of your 'profits' for each litter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back