New Blacklight, New Camera, New Photos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Male Urodacus elongatus

Blacklight_001.jpg

Blacklight_011.jpg

Blacklight_008.jpg

Blacklight_007.jpg

Blacklight_005.jpg

Blacklight_004.jpg

Blacklight_002.jpg

Female Urodacus elongatus

Blacklight_010.jpg

Blacklight_009.jpg

Blacklight_006.jpg

Great pics!

Does anyone know what the evolutionary advatage to glowing under a black light is? In other words why do they glow?

possibly to attract insects, i know with crab spiders they glow under uv on flowers and that attracts insects because they see the spectrum of the light we do not.

My only guesses would be attraction to insects or attraction to one and other.

Cheers hornet. That does make alot of sense, the things nature does is just amazing sometimes.

Actually I am reminded of a desert cactus flower that also reflects the moon's UV spectrum to attract one moth in particular. The flowers will only open on a clear night when there's enough moonlight - generally on a full moon.

love the pics Phil, neat how they glow. now if only they weren't so creepy looking....

They really are beautiful under the UV.

Lovely pictrures thank you.

What is the new camera you got?

Here's a photo of one of our scorps. He was nice enough to stay still while I changed lighting to UV.

0b17f855.jpg

scorpion2.jpg

Last edited:
The camera is a Olympus Mju820

The male and female look the most different in this species, as the male has a much longer tail (to sting her with). Often there is only slight differences between males and females.

Glad you like the photos. Expansa - yours are lovely. Weird how it is blotched under the UV..

Love your photo's Phil. Is yours a different species to mine? Sorry for posting the pics twice, I was having computer and Photobucket problems. Have you bred yours?

Cheers,

Craig

phil has urodacus elongatus in those pics, yours craig is Liocheles waigensis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back