New blue tounge help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jts-bluetounge

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this but need a hand!

So I have a thermo setup temps great over his basking spot wich is also his nightly hide underneath.

Now it's getting a little cold at night so I've turner the temp of the heat lamp and the thermo right down to like 17 just so it stays dim... But I have a heat mat on but not thermo do these little guys need pure darkness or should I just leave the heat lamp on and don't worry if it's not dark? So confused.

17 degC ?

17 degC is chilly and while the skink will cope (especially if it's an adult), it will definitely benefit (IMHO) from a boost to 21 - 24 degC overnight , will help it digest it's food and help it's immune system.

If it's getting very chilly at night , or the basking globe is not keeping the warm and cool zones and warm enough during the day , this is what I'd do :

viv-circuitry-generalised-schematic.png

Fortunately my BTs , water skinks and beardies live in a climate controlled home and never experience really chilly night time conditions so I can get away with a 7W heatpad controlled by a switching thermostat for each of them.

I'd get rid of the light emitting IR globe ( red or blue coloured thing ) the light will disturb the skink's sleep. A mushroom shaped CERAMIC HEAT EMITTER is what you need + an inline rheostat type dimmer or a proper dimming thermostat ( these are the bees' knees , set and forget , run it 24/7 , and you wont need quite as much wattage in the basking globe as the CHE will either supplement the heat input if needed or will be shut off automatically by the thermostat ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back