Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamGrace

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes and dudetts :p

i haven't made any steps towards it yet, including saving lol, but I want to one day soon become a breeder, but aside from an incubator, I have no idea what I need to have or do. Any first timer tips?

sam.

Naturally research is key. Being fully set up before you put your snakes together is also number one. Anticipate a maximum clutch so your not left trying to find space should this occur. For me this was three 8ft shelves each grooved to recess a double length of heat cord (about 2-3cm apart) to accommodate up to 40 snakes with an actual yield of just over half this. Need some boxes to keep them in, people tend to use the 7 litre sistima clip boxes or click clacks if you can get them. Incubators can be brought or made from an old fridge. A bar fridge works well, lined with heat cord or a 60 watt ceramic (I used a ceramic but need to be connected/wired up). When you pull all the fridge mechanics out you are left with a big esky and can use the holes that all the cooling pipes and wires went through for your own cables. Need pulse thermostat and thermometer (I find digital easiest). Need to have incubator temperatures set and confirmed to maintain constant temps well before eggs go in as thermostat settings are not reliable. And find a good source of pinkies either your own or elsewhere. Depending how you do it you will use up a lot of pinkies compared to those that actually get eaten. Failing all this you could just let the snake incubate them. Breeding is good but its hard work even when everything goes according to plan, takes up a fair amount of time, but rewarding all the same. And you may even cover your costs lol. Just be aware also that some are easier to breed and/or start feeding than others. I have never bred bhp's but hear they don't start feeding as easily because in the wild they normally eat other reptiles. On the other hand, they don't produce huge clutches and therefor require less space I guess. Sorry it is a big long paragraph but my computer wont let me use the enter key (windows 8 flaw maybe?!).

i take it your pretty new to the hobby ? take it slow if you are , dont rush it buy yourself a pair of hatchies and raise them to breeding size , if you put in the time then you will have a fair idea on what to do when the time does come

apart from that there are plenty of great articles out the on breeding numerous species of snakes , try the southern cross reptiles site , they have a great one on breeding/keeping womas , haven't really looked at any of the other ones though

I have a 3 year old bredli, I was just thinking of getting a second one around the same age / size and going from there...

hey Daniel, what did you mean by yield? That bit confused me a little lol.

Yeah very new to the hobby, I've had 2 snakes for a year now and am really keen on the idea of breeding.

Why do u want to breed would be my first question. If its for profit then don't bother as profit is negligible unless u have heaps or rare. If it is for experience then wait a few more years as inexperience in reptile keeping shows up and gets exacerbated when u start breeding. Good luck if u do try and for best chances buy the book complete carpet python

I'd recommend Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan.

This book has pretty much EVERYTHING you need to know about the whole breeding process as well as maintaining a healthy collection. It is a fantatic book and is one of my personal favorites. Everyone should own a copy :)

The Complete Carpet Python (as mentioned) is also fantastic. I also own this one, it is very informative and has a large ammount of information on bredlis too. Although this one does not soley focus on captive management, so it may not be exactly what you are looking for? Still an awesome book with great info on breeding, but not as much as Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons.

Good luck! You have a lot of research ahead of you :D

Thanks guys! Really helpful! Just for conversation sake, I am breeding for both reasons. I am obsessed with snakes. All enigmas really, reptiles more so, but snakes are the main focus. I can't stop reading and learning and teaching what I know... Not that there's a whole lot aside from basic care but still :p

I want to breed part as a challenge, part a hobby, and obviously because I can make some money out of it too. I'm probably gonna have to start breeding my own rats and mice too huh? :/

In addition to the books mentioned above, I found the 'Ask Doc Rock' articles on the Southern Cross website very helpful. Simon Stone goes through husbandry, anatomy and the whole breeding process. The description and photos of ovulation were especially helpful for me.

If there is a herp society near you, join up. This gives you a chance to talk to other people who are passionate about the animals and have a wealth of knowledge that is best shared in person.

If you start breeding rats and mice, as well as snakes, you will have a tough time taking holidays! I prefer to buy my rodents from a breeder and pay him for dealing with the smelly little animals. It is cheaper to grow your own, but there are plenty of pitfalls, too. My dogs would go mental, so no live rodents in my house.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself, either. When I had a pair that was mating, I looked for an old fridge to use as an incubator (free at curb side cleanup). After she laid eggs, I got a bookshelf, heat mat and Sistema tubs as a hatchling rack. I don't breed too many, so that is adequate. If you have multiple clutches, you will need a hatchling rack. As for getting them eating, well, some are no problem, but some will drive you nuts!

Enjoy all of the steps along the way. If you manage to get some breeding and recover your expenses, you are way ahead of most pet owners. If you make a genuine profit, consider yourself very lucky.

here's a good pricing guide so you have an idea what's best to breed for profit, but the more expensive to prettier IMO. what you keep is your choice but getting your hands on keeping and breeding Australian pythons book its about $50 but its is the breeders and keepers bible. loads of pictures and loads of breeding charts for every species. Breeding itself is all about trail and error also not always does things go right so you also need patients. best to build your breeders up learn everything you can, get some good incubators, hatch racks, yearling cages (cause if your like most of us you'll end up keeping 2-3 babies) per clutch, breeders cages etc etc etc. work out if you want to create a new line or morph or if you want to do just classics or jags etc and build your knowledge, and breeding room work out how many you could manage to feed etc and go from there. may take you a year or two before you are fully set up and ready in yourself to start. Good luck with what ever way you decide to go. :)

Reptiles Down Under – Pythons

Hi Sam, I am in the same position, also a first-time wanna-be breeder. I have read through all the answers and don't understand a few things. Could the previous posters please answer these questions:

- @daniel1234: You wrote in your very good contribution, "I have never bred bhp's but hear they don't start feeding as easily because in the wild they normally eat other reptiles. On the other hand, they don't produce huge clutches". (1) What are "bhp's"? I have seen this abbreviation several times, but it was never explained. (2) If some python babies naturally feed on other reptiles only - is there a reasonable way how to breed this preferred food?

- @pythonmum: You wrote, "When I had a pair that was mating, I looked for an old fridge to use as an incubator". (1) How do you recognise when snakes are mating? I have two 6-8 year old pairs of pythons (a Bredli pair and a Murray Darling pair, in addition to some juveniles who are too young for breeding). I often allow the adult pairs to meet each other and then, they most often coil together in front of a heat lamp, or they lie stretched out side-by-side. They most obviously like each other and enjoy body contact. However, I never seen any penis-vulva connection. To tell the whole truth, I have never seen a snake's penis yet! Am I blind or what? (2) Why is everyone looking for incubators when they want to breed? Is it absolutely hopeless to trust in nature and let mama snake sit on her eggs until they hatch?

- Someone also wrote that you need far more "pinkies" than are actually eaten by the baby snakes. Why that? I have set up a flourishing mice and rat breedery in anticipation of our first snake babies and I am trying to calculate the numbers of rodent offspring we may need. Can anyone give me advice on that? I currently have about 70 baby rats under 6 weeks old, and they eat a lot of food and the cleaning of their cages also takes up half of my weekend. If I do one more generation, my mouse and rat numbers will go into the hundreds and then into the thousands! I don't want to overdo it with my rodent breeding, as my local pet shops won't buy any excess off me. Has anyone actual statistical numbers of how many pinkies are actually needed to raise a clutch of snake babies? By now, I have been starting out from the rule that, outside of the winter brumation season, every python needs to eat a third of its body weight every month.

Last edited:
Hi Sam, I am in the same position, also a first-time wanna-be breeder. I have read through all the answers and don't understand a few things. Could the previous posters please answer these questions:

- @daniel1234: You wrote in your very good contribution, "I have never bred bhp's but hear they don't start feeding as easily because in the wild they normally eat other reptiles. On the other hand, they don't produce huge clutches". (1) What are "bhp's"? I have seen this abbreviation several times, but it was never explained. BHP stands for Black Headed Python. (2) If some python babies naturally feed on other reptiles only - is there a reasonable way how to breed this preferred food? No not really, as far as I know anyway.

- @pythonmum: You wrote, "When I had a pair that was mating, I looked for an old fridge to use as an incubator". (1) How do you recognise when snakes are mating? I have two 6-8 year old pairs of pythons (a Bredli pair and a Murray Darling pair, in addition to some juveniles who are too young for breeding). I often allow the adult pairs to meet each other and then, they most often coil together in front of a heat lamp, or they lie stretched out side-by-side. They most obviously like each other and enjoy body contact. However, I never see any penis-vulva connection. To tell the whole truth, I have never seen a snake's penis yet! Am I blind or what? Maybe because they're different species? Or it's the wrong time of year. You'll know it when you see it, in fact I think there's a thread about snakes mating on here already! (2) Why is everyone looking for incubators when they want to breed? Is it absolutely hopeless to trust in nature and let mama snake sit on her eggs until they hatch? I'm not too sure about this one, but I think it's something to do with removing any possibility of error. Just to make sure nothing goes wrong and you can keep the temps a constant in an incubator.

Attempted answers in red.

Thanks. I found something funny on the topic of "snake penis images" (my search entry in Google) which I want to share, just for fun:

"It is a sac like structure that has to be turned inside out to be inserted into the female . Kinda hard to describe . It is called a hemipenis."

"I do not consider animal or reptile anatomy adult content .There is nothing wrong with asking this question . If you are seeing something protruding from your snake he may need medical attention."

:D

Incubators are for those wishing to breed each year as maternal incubation can take a bit outta the mums however I believe maternal incubation is better and I have a near 100% success rate with maternal, I only breed for fun anyway and most snakes are given away so I don't care if they breed every five years

- @daniel1234: You wrote in your very good contribution, "I have never bred bhp's but hear they don't start feeding as easily because in the wild they normally eat other reptiles. On the other hand, they don't produce huge clutches". (1) What are "bhp's"? I have seen this abbreviation several times, but it was never explained. (2) If some python babies naturally feed on other reptiles only - is there a reasonable way how to breed this preferred food?there are many options you can try when trying to get bubs to feed, there is the option of pinkie mice/rat, braining, scenting with chicken or quail, making a paste and syringing it down there throat, assist feeding, force feeding. very hard to get feeding but ask a lot of breeders what they do and try them all. eventually they'll feed on there own if they don't have any other issues. on another note I have found that breeding Black Headed Pythons the eggs are much more hardy to anything else, they can withstand any condition and a long road trip, but wont eliminate bad hatching results best to breed if you know your not moving during the middle of incubation period.

- @pythonmum: You wrote, "When I had a pair that was mating, I looked for an old fridge to use as an incubator". (1) How do you recognise when snakes are mating? some are very secretive and you will never catch them no matter how hard you try, and others don't care and you'll see there tails wrapped around each other as they lay perfectly still for anywhere from 6-34hours each session. you don't actually see there penis unless you pop them for sexing. or is a male has an infection down there at a young age. I have two 6-8 year old pairs of pythons (a Bredli pair and a Murray Darling pair, in addition to some juveniles who are too young for breeding). I often allow the adult pairs to meet each other and then, they most often coil together in front of a heat lamp, or they lie stretched out side-by-side. They most obviously like each other and enjoy body contact. However, I never seen any penis-vulva connection. To tell the whole truth, I have never seen a snake's penis yet! Am I blind or what?are you cooling them at the right time of the year for the right amount of time? and are you pairing only in breeding season? and do you know for certain you have a pair? I would not go off sellers word alone I always get a second opinion when it comes to sexing animals, I take to the vet and get them probed. especially after previous years of buying pairs and once breeding age came along I found out I had 2 males or 2 females has happened a couple times for me, sucks and you have to start from scratch again. I don't just presume the breeder or previous owner knows best I go straight to vet after purchase and also get them a general check up for my piece of mind. if you haven't yet go get your hands on keeping and breeding Australian pythons book it will run you through what months you need to cool the species you have, when to pair and how long for, and general info on your species etc etc. very good and very relevant info. (2) Why is everyone looking for incubators when they want to breed? Is it absolutely hopeless to trust in nature and let mama snake sit on her eggs until they hatch? There are a very few breeders choosing to go with maternal incubation but this is only because they feel there female is in good condition after laying the eggs and they feel she will be fine through the process of incubation, there also fully set up to supply female with everything she may need and feel comfortable they know what there doing. In this hobby we have a choice others prefer to artificially incubate them as they feel its better for the female to start eating asap after egg laying in order to get her back up to condition before the next years breeding season. some females health is very poor from not eating during the hole breeding season and carrying eggs and laying them take its toll on the poor girls. Not always will you get a 100% hatch rate with both methods, and it all depends on if you have done everything right from day 1 which ever method you chose. just remember if you choose for maternal incubation you need to give the girls a year off the next year, unless she gets enough body weight on again before the next cooling period.

- Someone also wrote that you need far more "pinkies" than are actually eaten by the baby snakes. Why that? its because your young wont eat every time and once you though out a rat you cant put it back in the freezer. I've waisted more pinkies then I've fed them successfully. that's why buying in bulk is a must.I have set up a flourishing mice and rat breedery in anticipation of our first snake babies and I am trying to calculate the numbers of rodent offspring we may need. Can anyone give me advice on that? get yourself into mice as new babies will only be able to eat pinkie mice for a wile before there big enough to eat a pinkie rat. I currently have about 70 baby rats under 6 weeks old, and they eat a lot of food and the cleaning of their cages also takes up half of my weekend. If I do one more generation, my mouse and rat numbers will go into the hundreds and then into the thousands! I don't want to overdo it with my rodent breeding, as my local pet shops won't buy any excess off me. Has anyone actual statistical numbers of how many pinkies are actually needed to raise a clutch of snake babies? By now, I have been starting out from the rule that, outside of the winter brumation season, every python needs to eat a third of its body weight every month.
replied in purple

Rodent breeding is the first major step, I think once you master the time and effort involved with this than you can take the next step.

Build supplies up! Work out what you need than double it than add a bit more, always safe then sorry!
Breed each stage to meet the demand, kill them (Humanely), freeze them
I do this each winter/spring.
The time you spend cleaning and looking after them will become the time you spend cleaning and looking after your babies.
Once summer comes I scale down my operation to near 1/5 of what i was. (The heat will normally do it if your not careful, this way I wont loose any because I can use them for feed), This gets rid of my breeding females that are no longer producing as high as they once were.

Refer to some good books as mentioned above, this is vital to ensure successful breeding.

Build a hatchy rack (Not sure how the new laws effect these)
Spend the time and money and invest it wisely! Ensure that you have heating solutions to avoid loosing clutches!
When wiring up im paranoid and like to wire the shelf up not in series, this is incase something goes wrong not all shelves are failed.

Id advise trying to find someone local and spend time with them learning how to feed the little hatchies.
The minute your out of this stage your set!

But the most important thing,
Dont just breed! BREED!
Make your snake something that stands out from the rest, whether its parents have nicer colors or patterns or whatever it is.
Spend the money, buy nice snakes!
Its hard to sell snakes so this step helps in your favor.

Never be afraid to ask a question, but remember you have to put the effort in to make it work.

as stated b4, breeding is a full time job. if you only have a couple of pairs, my advice is don't breed your own rats or mice, theyre the part of breeding that's constant work. and not worth it for just a few snakes. 20+ then you have no choice really. hatchies take time to get feeding and is full on in the beginning. Some species easier than others if youre keen on breeding your brredli then you shouldn't have too much trouble with feeding bubs. Read everything you can first and don't do it for the money,youll be disappointed, do it for your love of reptiles, then the reward will be just that. be prepared to have the hatchies up to a year or so. selling hatchies is inconsistent. every year is the same. some weeks you could sell 5 or more babies then not get a call for a month or more. be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back