New Caledonian Crested Gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you know that animal cruelty will fetch a bigger fine then keeping the actual exotic. As with neglect. If it is to be euthanised it needs to be done by a vet (or similar professional)

Fair enough new way to deal with exotic scum get a very large hammer the biggest you can find hit gecko over head, not cruel, nice and quick then hit yourself over head for having ILLEGAL( and dangerous to native fauna) reptile. And if you look up coggers book on how to euthanise reptiles for study he suggests deep freeze as they go to sleep then die, apparently not cruel.

Lot of tall horse riders in this thread.

who needs a horse when you can ride a moto.

I must admit though if a chick can ride a horse or a moto shes a keeper just saying.

Fair enough, but how many native Australian, bird, mammal's and reptiles do wild and domesticated dogs and cats kill a year? And for how long have these cats and dogs been around doing so?

Those cats and dogs have done more damage then the little gecko.

lol so do two wrongs make a right?

Lot of tall horse riders in this thread.

Im only 5'6 but all 30 of my polo ponies are 15-16 hands does that count

Fair enough, but how many native Australian, bird, mammal's and reptiles do wild and domesticated dogs and cats kill a year? And for how long have these cats and dogs been around doing so?

Those cats and dogs have done more damage then the little gecko.
From a herpetologists point of veiw what has been more destructive those pests or introduced amphibians here and burmese pythons etc in florida. i dont think we can stop all of the other pests but we can control what reptiles come in, If you know someone who has illegals then dob them, in you would dob them in if they were selling drugs to kids and both are just as illegal

Last edited:
Not true. Vets treat animals whether they are legal or not - it is not the animals fault it is being owned illegally and so why should it suffer? Vets have a duty of care to the animal - and will provide that car. If you dob on owners for bringing their animals to you net time the animal will just stay home and die instead of getting medical attention.

The same goes for ambulance drivers called to overdoses. Do you think they call the police to dob the people in for using heroin? No. Otherwise nobody would call the ambos anymore and people would die.
Vets provide cars? Since when?

I don't think one Gecko brought to this Country, however it got here, is that big of a deal... Illegal or not. The OP is just after some helpful advice. Not to be flamed.
Stupider things have been brought in here, illegal or not, or by chance, and wiped out far more than one little Gecko ever would. Don't be so judgemental.
Would any of you walk by if you saw a struggling or dying reptile and not take it in? (even if it happened to be illegal to keep it until it was healthy again).
I know I'd take it in. The law isn't always right. That's my 2c for what's it's worth.

As for how to help it I'm not really sure. I've taken a few Aussie Geckos in that haven't looked in the best shape (no tails, struggling to shed) and misted their enclosure 50 wet/50 dry once or twice a day depending on the weather. Fed them Crickets and Woodies every day. And soaked the ones who were struggling to shed in some warm water for 30 - 45mins a day until the excess skin could be peeled off gently. But yeah I'd try what others have already suggested and also see a vet.

And if you look up coggers book on how to euthanise reptiles for study he suggests deep freeze as they go to sleep then die, apparently not cruel.

I agree with this article more.
Freezing Reptiles

I also think many here are bigots.
All will cry if someone kills a native snake (out of ignorance) with a shovel, but then they applaud and encourage the cruel killing of exotic reptiles and amphibians.

No I think you all need to re-think what you are saying before you say it. And no one has mentioned yet where most of the GTP's here come from.

Quite a few people offering legitmate help and suggestions. Who knew we had so many experienced keepers of Rhacodactylus ciliatus right chere on the forum? Colour me impressed.

I agree with this article more.
Freezing Reptiles

I also think many here are bigots.
All will cry if someone kills a native snake (out of ignorance) with a shovel, but then they applaud and encourage the cruel killing of exotic reptiles and amphibians.

No I think you all need to re-think what you are saying before you say it. And no one has mentioned yet where most of the GTP's here come from.

Thankyou for link as i have never frozen reptile i had not read up on it. i just refer to twenty year old book
Is it illegal to keep gtp that does not originate here or is it to hard to tell so its not worried about, ive never owned or wanted one so no little about them except i dont think your avatar would be native would it.

I don't think one Gecko brought to this Country, however it got here, is that big of a deal... Illegal or not.

Yeah you say that then what happens when the next bloke say's oh it ok it's only one then the next bloke then the next bloke, then one of them brings a nice new disease for our natives....

Vets provide cars? Since when?

The disrespect young people show towards their experienced elders disgusts me, Philk is a vet, do you realise how lucky we are to have someone with his expertise contributing to this forum?

I am going to refrain for saying any more because of your age

Last edited:
they should have an amnesty all illegals to be handed in after 2 weeks bring in ridiculous penalties for any idiot still keeping them

What they need to do is make it easier for people to keep natives legally and improve border control

That's a very good point. I don't get why for native animals, we need licenses, but I can get exotic birds, fish and other species from a pet store. Some native animals can be kept without a license, but you know what I mean.

Im only 5'6 but all 30 of my polo ponies are 15-16 hands does that count

From a herpetologists point of veiw what has been more destructive those pests or introduced amphibians here and burmese pythons etc in florida. i dont think we can stop all of the other pests but we can control what reptiles come in, If you know someone who has illegals then dob them, in you would dob them in if they were selling drugs to kids and both are just as illegal

I don't support exotic keepers at all, nor do I know of any, but it's definitely something I dislike and will report. It was just the hate I saw against what the gecko can do with diseases, but they didn't see that dogs and cats have done much worse.

Last edited:
That's a very good point. I don't get why for native animals, we need licenses, but I can get exotic birds, fish and other species from a pet store. Some native animals can be kept without a license, but you know what I mean.

Anything non venomous you shouldnt need licence but i agree with licence for venomous whether they are considered deadly or not

Thankyou for link as i have never frozen reptile i had not read up on it. i just refer to twenty year old book
Is it illegal to keep gtp that does not originate here or is it to hard to tell so its not worried about, ive never owned or wanted one so no little about them except i dont think your avatar would be native would it.

Funny enough, you can keep exotic GTP's here... but no one really declares them as such. But how many times do you see "biak" or "sorong"? Infact, anything that doesn't have proper records I would easily say are from exotic lines.

But I don't wan't to argue about this any more, it's hard to explain. I have seen exotics in overseas collections and contrary to popular belief, they aren't the diseased filled monsters that people make them out to be, and there are some amazing species with colours and behaviours that are extraordinary.

I wouldn't keep exotics, but I wouldn't go on a witch hunt over someone who does.

The disrespect young people show towards their experienced elders disgusts me, Philk is a vet, do you realise how lucky we are to have someone with his expertise contribute to this forum?

I am going to refrain for saying any more because of your age

Then I take my hat off to Philk.
If however he rightly knows the implications that an exotic may harbour to our wildlife and turns a blind eye to one reptiles wellbeing to our possible countless native reptiles wellbeing then..............
The Need of the many outweighs the need of a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back