New enclosure. From this...to this...to this!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MC-Boks

Reaction score
Just finished making a new display enclosure and thought I'd share some pics....

Back in July I got hold of a black tubular steel shop fitting, just the frame really. It was over 2m tall but only 80cm x 50cm floor. Still it had potential, good for a jungle or coastal.

Beginning copy.jpg

So after preparing the frame and fitting a new floor, I got some glass fitted, thanks to Glass Now at Nerang.

Next I visited a friend who lives in the bush to try and find an interesting branch of a suitable size. After an hours hike up and down the side of a mountain I finally found one just 100m from the house. Murphy strikes again.

Branch-full length 001.jpg

Quite a bit of character to that branch.

Next a trip to Bunnings to pick up some supplies.

car 02.jpg car 03.jpg car 01.jpg

It was fun trying to fit this into the car, thats for sure.

The size of the frame meant that I could utilise interior doors as the back and sides of the enclosure. The sides are now full length doors and provide great access. Hanging them was interesting as I've never tried anything like that before.

So after a couple of weeks it was pretty much done.

Without shelves.jpg Phoenix Enclosure copy.jpgEnclosure 002.JPG
Added some shelves, the branch and some jungle vines. Not bad. Certainly functional but hardly inspirational. It needed something more.
So after reading lots of posts here and elsewhere, I thought I'd try my hand at making a fake rock wall backdrop.

So time for some more salvaged material from work. This time lots of poly styrene. The major pieces come from the bbq's we sell. The garage was soon full of poly styrene and I was....well, lets just say I wasn't flavour of the month for a week......or five!!! LOL. I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Starting pieces.jpg Full 001.jpg
Who would have thought that carving the poly would be sooo much fun. And not as messy as I would have thought.

As I'm not particularly artistic I thought something sort of natural rather than trying to replicate an actual place or theme as others have done. So I scoured the net for pics of rock walls etc and finally came across this...
Weathered Block.jpg
As the styrene pieces had shelf like bits moulded into it already it lent itself to this design.

looking good mate, im glad im not the only that really over loads there car hehe

Thats awesome very inspirational. What paint r u using on the foam.

The next thing was to install some tubing to hide the thermostat and temp probes. The idea was to conceal them within some foam without really covering them up and then disguise them with the render.
Lower probe tube.jpgTop probe tube.jpg

Not have tried this before I didn't know just how much impact all that insulation would have on the temperature readings, but as you can see in this pic there is only 0.1 degree difference which is actually the normal variance for this individual unit, so I guess that counts as working. (This pic was taken after the rendering but I was checking the readings at each stage.)
Temp check.jpg

Then the rendering. I used Boscote, an acrylic render, and mixed in extra PVA for strength. 5 coats of render with a day or two inbetween each.
render 1st.jpgrender 3rd.jpgAnother test fitting.jpg
Another fitting to make sure. Then it was time to paint.

First coat was a 3 in 1 acrylic sealer, primer, undercoat. Followed by two coats of the base colour. The paint is Dulux 101 super acrylic wash and wear.

Base coat.jpg

After that I added additional paint to break up the solid block look, a bit like camoflage I guess.
Secondary paint.jpg
Then I got some plastic aquarium plants to attach.
Plants.jpg
This in fact turned out to be the hardest part and gave me the most grief.

comeing along very very nicely what did you think of the expanding foam i didnt like useing it at all im makeing my 1st background aswell

Lower panel with plants.jpgTop panel with plants.jpg
Initially I attached the plants with silicone, but it wouldn't adhere to the plastic. Liquid nails wouldn't stick to either the plastic or the paint. I even tried hot glue. No success. worse, I was getting globby bits of residue everywhere. The problem was the plastic plants. Most glues don't work with polyethelene. Finally I came across selleys Plastic Glue, which comes with a primer pen to condition the plastic and enable the glue to adhere to it. Finally.

The expanda foam was a bit of a pain in the... I ended up using 4 cans to get the effect I wanted. I found that the Bostic version was better and easier to use (apply) than the Selleys version.
How are you enjoying the experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back