New GTP enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 29560

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I posted up a while back while collecting information and deciding whether to upgrade my GTP's tank this winter or wait for her to get larger before upsizing. I ended up doing the upgrade and am glad I finally did it because now I have a nicely tricked out system. I figured I'd post up photos here because I love looking at people's herp setups. This new setup is a thermostat driven and has an automated misting system to provide daily spray without me having to remember. ;)

This is the full new stack of PVC enclosures I ordered.

6717718397_fae15262d9_b.jpg

The units are roughly ~60cm x ~60cm area (2ft - the company uses imperial measures). The GTP unit on top is 2ft tall. Each unit below is 1ft tall and there's a 2ft storage pedestal below. The storage area contains a MistKing water misting system which has two spray nozzles wired up inside the GTP enclosure with a precision timer. Every morning, she receives 40-60 seconds of mist (still fine-tuning with humidity readings) and then it dries off through the day.

Here's the GTP unit up close.

You can see her old home immediately to the right of the stack.

6717278573_efabd014d3_b.jpg

The spray nozzles are mounted up top on the back wall of the tank. Heating and lighting in all tanks are managed with a Herpstat 4 thermostat.

Thanks for looking.

Awsome!
I am only new to the reptile world and love the GTP
one day if im lucky

Thanks guys. Yeah even since before I started keeping reptiles, the GTP was always the most iconic animal to me and the one I desired to try to keep more than any other but I took quite a few years to decide I was ready for it. The high demands for humidity and so forth had me hesitant, but now that I've got it all automated and I've had her for a while, I've got things pretty well tuned. She's probably less work than my ball python because she literally has never refused a meal. =)

Looks really good. Those PVC cages are the way to go and something I am looking into building myself.

Looks really good. Those PVC cages are the way to go and something I am looking into building myself.

Dude, these pvc units are just unreal. I failed to rave about that point because this is actually my second PVC stack. I have a 4' wide stack already for my other snakes and geckos that I've posted about here. The PVC cages are just perfect for every possible criteria and one of the huge overlooked benefits is the weight. That whole stack pictured above can be easily moved around alone by just sliding it around on the carpet for short distances. When it comes to moving into a house in the future, the move from glass to PVC, considering we have 7 geckos and 4 snakes, is going to pay dividends.

There is a pretty high cost to get into such a system because you need the heat tape (or panels for arboreals) and high grade thermostats to run it all.

For interest, this is my other stack.

6lEUD.jpg

Did you get the cages from PVC cages online.

Cheers Brenton

I purchased them from a dealer in another province (I live in Canada) who I got in touch with through my regional reptile forum. Because I own some australian snakes, I also use this forum now and again because there's a wealth of GTP and Bredli information to be found here, which are the two species I keep from your region. I have a ball python and a black corn snake also. In the next few months I'll be finishing off the collection with some species of dwarf boa, probably Hogg Island (I planned out the enclosure systems so that there's one free unit for the last snake still). ;)

Once I change over to PVC cages there is no way I will go back to timber.
Dont forget photo's of the Hogg Island Boas when you get them, they are the best.

Once I change over to PVC cages there is no way I will go back to timber.
Dont forget photo's of the Hogg Island Boas when you get them, they are the best.

Boa who did you get yours from I can only find ones here from slitherin and I'm not to keen on the colour.

Cheers Brenton

Very nice enclosures.. its a real shame that freight is so expensive to ship from the USA to Australia... rules out PVC cages and Pro-line etc. Unless someone brought in a containers worth... (group buy anyone? ;))

I'm sourcing black HDPE sheet to build my own GTP stack over here...

Very nice enclosures.. its a real shame that freight is so expensive to ship from the USA to Australia... rules out PVC cages and Pro-line etc. Unless someone brought in a containers worth... (group buy anyone? ;))

I'm sourcing black HDPE sheet to build my own GTP stack over here...

Let me know how you go Dan in a plastic welder from way back and can use plastic rods and a heat gun lol.

Cheers Brenton

You know what the best stuff is Brenton..no welding needed.;)

View attachment 235752 I am changing my gtp cages from timber ones to fibreglass i made these ones myself they are 1200x600x600 to make them smaller i will put a wall so i can have two separate they are working well. I made an inside an outside mould so there is shiney gelcoat finish inside an out.

Unfortunately the photo isn't visible, I would be very interested to see them though.

View attachment 235752 I am changing my gtp cages from timber ones to fibreglass i made these ones myself they are 1200x600x600 to make them smaller i will put a wall so i can have two separate they are working well. I made an inside an outside mould so there is shiney gelcoat finish inside an out.

Sorry Brenton I didn't see this post. I am making my own from polypropylene sheet. Once they are made you literally never have to touch them, no warping or expanding with moisture or discolouring.

Boa who did you get yours from I can only find ones here from slitherin and I'm not to keen on the colour.

Cheers Brenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back