Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We recieved it today.May cop some flack over this but just some honest feed back.
The cover looks great,a couple of good articles,photography is great,but with about 20% of the mag wasted with non Herp Photographs and advertising i don't see how it is worth the cover price or even the reduced subscription price,once again looks great but not the dedicated herp magazine that was expected.

Waterrat,we just did and we were diappointed.
abnrmal,as i said the photo's were great,but for such an expensive magazine we would have expected it to be full of Herp pics,looks more like National Geo rather than a Herp Journal.

I received mine today and I'm with 'Dougs' looks great with some great pics but am alittle disappointed :(

Honestly If I wanted a magazine like an American Magazine I would buy one!

I agree. Having now read it I'm disappointed. Being relatively new to Herpetology I haven't read any other reptile magazines except Scales & Tails & I guess I was expecting a "classier" version of that (not that there's anything "unclassy" with Scales & Tails). I wasn't expecting photos of lions & american frogs... more Australian (or even Australasian only) content would have been good as that's what I'm interested in, not American or any other material. Anyway, as has been said you can't please everyone, thanks but I'll stick to Scales & Tails.

You're right Chris, not everyone will be pleased because they may not find in it what they're looking for. Why did you expect this mag to be a "classiest" version of anything, is beyond me. Each of those herp magazines is of different quality and different contents, each designed for different readership - why to compare them against each other?
Do you think herpers in overseas countries would buy that mag if it had only Australian herp contents? I don't thing so. We often criticize the Americans for being too inward - lets not be the same.

Why did you expect this mag to be a "classiest" version of anything, is beyond me. Each of those herp magazines is of different quality and different contents, each designed for different readership - why to compare them against each other?

Mate I'm not an idiot, what I expected something to be & your interpretation of that is irrelevant. I simply stated my opinion as is my right to do given I purchased the magazine... why is it that as soon as someone has voiced a 'constructive' opinion in this thread they've been shot down? How's the insecurity in some of you? Do you REALLY care what I think? Surely not.....

Do you think herpers in overseas countries would buy that mag if it had only Australian herp contents? I don't thing so.

I don't care what the Americans or any other countries buy, again I reiterate, I was simply saying that I expected the magazine to be more Australian/Australasian aligned & reptile focused.

The negativity to the constructive criticism in this thread is pretty sad guys.... IMO it pretty much confirms what others have said re the 'my mate runs the mag' theme. Glad I made the right decision....

Settle down buddy. There was nothing constructive in your post, read it again.

Settle down buddy. There was nothing constructive in your post, read it again.

There's been plenty of constructive feedback from 'both sides' in this thread... was me saying that I expected more "Australian aligned material" would be beneficial (or words to that effect) not 'constructive feedback'? As I said, LOL at the insecurity....

I finally received my copy, just a few minutes ago, thanks Neil. We had a public holiday here last Friday, hence the delay. I won't rave on about the mag because sure enough someone would find a reason to question my intentions. I like it, and I hope the majority or subscribers like it too.

Jamie,

Will those of us who've subscribed in the last few days receive a copy of issue 1, or will we have to wait for the next issue?

Jamie,

Will those of us who've subscribed in the last few days receive a copy of issue 1, or will we have to wait for the next issue?

Hi Wally, if you've subscribed in the last few days, you'll get the first issue sent to you (in a plastic bag lol!).

Jamie

Thanks. A plastic bag will certainly be warranted in Melbourne at the moment!

Everywhere it seems Wally! Something not to be overlooked again! It's disappointing that purchasers had their first copies wet during delivery - even in WA, where it NEVER rains anymore lol!

I think there was another post querying the replacement of a water damaged mag and subscribing as well? Can't find it now :(

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
haha I should get mine this week and rain rain rain here in WA

Warning

This fight between 2 magazines are going to far.

Most of the posters here in this topic now are supporters of the Magazine owners, trying to damage the opposition.

Administration have enough of this and trying to remind you that our work here on APS can be used better in different fields like site improvement and development.

This is the last and final warning.

Any posts posted in any way to flame the situation, (posters who are doing this know what I mean) Will be suspended.

I like the title Reptiles Australasia. I have a book of Richard Shine's and quite regularly throughout the book he is always suggesting how a lot of our reptiles are closely related to those of Asia because of the continental shelfs colliding. He called it like opening up a corridor for animals to move to and fro between Australia and Asia, and then got separated when the shelves drifted apart again. So then their reptiles have adapted to our land, and vise versa. Love his book. I wonder if that is how the GTPs and even the eclectus parrots have ended up in New Guinea. Are they our animals in their land? I've also read somewhere too, that our White-lipped python was once regarded Australian native even though we have none here. They ended up in Asian areas. I need to read up on that one again. Can't quite remember all the facts there but its always interesting looking for answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back