New Mite Buster??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROWNS

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I often ask different chemists if they stock the good old orange medic without the tea tree oil ,which when available and you got mites in your collection was a much cheaper way to get rid of the dirty things when compared to TOD especially if you have a few animals but haven't found any still stocking the old stuff just orange medic plus which is no go..I did however spot this product called"PYRIFOAM LICE BREAKER " which has the same ingredient as good old orange medic which is 1%w/w PERMETHRIN with a conditioner type base that i'm guessing would be harmless and much like using dish liquid to soak mite affected animals in.

Have i stumbled across something new and cheaper than TOD or has this been around for ages?Itcomes in 150 ml bottle which if it did do the same job as orange medic would be much cheaper than TOD,sorry i forgot the price but nothing like the price of a carton of TOD which wouldn't take long to go through with a fair number of animals in anyones collections.

All opinions welcomed please?

Clayton Knight put me onto Permoxin. ( 40g/L Permethrin )

Permoxin is a flea and tick rinse for animals and you use the same dose for snakes that is used on dogs. It comes in a 250ml bottle with a handy measuring chamber and you use 10 mls of Permoxin to 400 mls of water.

It is a contact killer, so doesn't have to stay on the animal or hang around in the cage to work. Make up a spray bottle or bucket of Permoxin and water, as per instructions, then spray or dunk the snake in the bucket, wipe it over the head, then rinse the snake off with fresh water and tub or bag the snake while you treat the cage. (I prefer the bucket method as I don't like the fine mist being sprayed around my snakes head.)

You can use the mix from the bucket to spray the cage out (spray into all nooks and crannies), then wipe it out, rinse with fresh water and pop the snake back in.

Repeat the treatment as required to break the mite lifecycle.

The solution, when mixed, is stable, so what's left in the bucket can be popped into a spray bottle for the follow up retreats or on the spot applications as needed. (For example, a quick spray over the floor or carpet of your herp room or of anything new coming into your collection, critters, logs, rocks, substrate, whatever.)

I have been using Permoxin for 2 years now with no ill effects. I even used it on a maternally incubating maccie. (Didn't put it on the eggs though.) It is also good as a tick rinse on wild critters. And there is no stinky smell when you use it !!

Available from the vet at a cost of about $14 for a 250ml bottle, it lasts for ages. I have used my one bottle for 18 months, on and off, have given some away to various people in need and I still have half a bottle left.

:D

i first used permoxin on my snakes the first time they got mites .$16 and a ratio 10:400 later........
all hatchies dead .
dont use the stuff on hatchlings...
i only use it to hit the cages.

WOW, that's scary. :( I have had no problems at all and it came recommended to me by Clayton Knight of Deception Bay Vet Clinic, as he uses it on his own snakes.

You rinsed instantly afterwards ?

Thanks for the heads up. As I said, I have had no problems, but I will be a little less blase now.

the vet from sinnamon park put me on it...he got his advice from the same place
yes i rinsed the snakes afterwards ....
i called the epa concerning this ,and they said they have had numerous
complaints and advised to stay clear of the stuff.

I've been using permoxin for years and never had a problem , it's top stuff , as for using it on hatchies i would'nt use anything on hatchies they are to small and i would imagine just about any chemical would knock them over, IMO hatchies should'nt have mites anyway thats just bad husbandry .
I was also recomended this product by Clayton Knight who IMO is an exellent herp vet and i'm sure many people who have dealt with him would agree.

I also have to say that we changed to using permoxin as well. It has worked well in killing the ticks but as yet we have never had mites to try it on. I need mites! I need mites!

i dont practice bad husbandry

Sorry chameleon I just couldn't resist :wink:
Swampy if you've got mites in your collection already its actually very easy for them to travel to other cages (hatchies)

this happened about 2 years ago...
never had mites before so i went to sinnamon park vet clinic .
the bottle of permoxin that i have in my hand states that i had
seen dr scott snellgrove..
he got his advice, told me it was top stuff and showed me how to
use it....
they died, thats what happened.
2 months ago i got my second scare....
used TOD....,,
no problems.
but in saying one who gets mites once or twice practices bad husbandry
is bollocks.
swampy claims he has been using permoxin for years...
then that says to me he has had years of mite troubles!
bad husbandry you say swampy?

Wow, this thread deteriorated.

I don't think I have problems with husbandry, yet I have had mites in my collection a couple of times. Hate them with a passion.

PilbaraPythons, next time, I will package them up and send them over to you. ;)

Oh come on, do we need to turn every thread into a slap fest?
I've had mites a few times as well, most keepers have (except pilbara). Its almost inevitable to have a few mite problems and it definately not because of bad husbandry, and mites don't make you a bad keeper.

I DONT have mites in my collection i only use the above mentioned product when i recieve a new addition that is how i can claim to have been using it for years . I did'nt say that anyone in particular was practising bad husbandry so take it anyway you like . Maybe somebody has a guilty concience ?

OY! WILL SOMEBODY CLEAN UP THIS MESS?
SWAMPIE JUST DID A POO IN HIS PANTS AND NOW
HE HAS TRAMPLED IT THROUGHOUT THIS WHOLE THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back