New Setup For Stimpsons Python, Heating Questions.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxthor

Not so new Member
Reaction score
New Setup For Stimsons Python, Heating Questions.

Hi, I am new to this board but have been browsing it for some time.

I have just recently purchased a Female Stimsons python of about 2 Yrs old. And have a Wooden Enclosure measuring 120cm Length, 37cm Hieght and 35-60cm Deep.

Im running a Old UV-A UV-B fluroecent Tube, that is probably not emmiting much UV anymore and an Exo Terra Red Glass Infrared Heat lamp, 150W..I have multiple Thermometres and timers and an On/OFF thermostat that im not currently using.

My Question with the heating is Without the thermostat my hot spot reaches around 42 Degrees C and the cool end will remain room Temp uually around 25-27. She has 2 hide spots One on the cool end and one on the hot end, inside the hot end hide spot it gets to about 27-29 Degrees C. I also have the Heat lamp running from 8am -10pm with 5 * 15 Minute Off periods to cool down. Is it ok to run it like this, as i know from reading the hot spot is meant to be aroun 36 degrees, so is 42 too hot or will the Snake just spend less time basking? I could use the thermostat but it goes on and off more that 10 times an hour and i thought it may blow the globe quickly, also it turns on at 28 and off at 40..

Sorry for the long winded question but i just wanted to explain the setup.

snake.jpg

Last edited:
if you have a thermostat use it and lose the timer, as far as temp regulation goes this is far better than a timer. set the thermostat using a thermometer in the cage- don't trust indicators on the dial on the thermostat.

aim for a basking spot of 30-33C, cool end ambient as you are doing is fine.

if you want to set up the timer for cooling over autum/winter, that's fine. for breeding animals i start at 6 hours off (night time) 1st week of april, and increase the off time 1 hour/week until i get to 12 hours on/12 hours off. after breeding season i heat 24/7. just how i do it, some offer no heat at night all year round, it just works for me. if you aren't breeding you can keep your snake on heat 24/7 and continue feeding, up to you how you do it.

also just to give you a heads up, on/off thermostats tend to blow light bulbs more often- same as your timers will be doing. to save buying heaps of bulbs invest in a quality dimming thermostat (microclimate and habistat are widely recommended). seem expensive but works out in the long run when you start replacing bulbs all the time.

and lose the uv light if you want, they don't need it at all. if you have no natural light coming into the room your snake is in it will come in handy to give it a day/night cycle.

hope that helps.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, yeah that helps heaps i guess il just run the thermostat for now then until i can buy a dimmer, So 42 is definately much too hot? would the snake get burnt from this? And yeah i have no natural light so i use the fluro for Day time. I dont think its emmiting much UV any more though i heard they stop outputting UV after 12 months.

Also for night time is a red globe ok to use or does the snake still see the light? Obviosuly i could use a Ceramic but i like the red light for viewing.

Thanks Heaps.

Just a little side note, You have a Stimson python NOT a Stimpson!
There is no "P" in the name never has been!

You can use either the red or purple heat globes or a ceramic its personal choice
just as long as you have the heat source caged so the animal cant touch it and end up burnt

150w seems to big for that size enclosure, I'm using 75w in 4'x2'x2 and the stats normally have the globes dimmed during the day to give me 32deg basking areas. If the stat happens to fail or the timer craps out the temps in that enclosure could get hot very quickly

150w seems to big for that size enclosure, I'm using 75w in 4'x2'x2 and the stats normally have the globes dimmed during the day to give me 32deg basking areas. If the stat happens to fail or the timer craps out the temps in that enclosure could get hot very quickly

We run a single 25w globe in each Antaresia enclosure, Enclosures measure
900x400x450 and they run on a dimmer thermo at 32dg

Thanks beeman, been looking at dropping to 60w in mine when these ones blow

Ok so i changed the 150 watt globe for a 75 watt, and run the thermostat (on/off) Its now heating the hot spot to 30-32 and runs 24/7 the thermo doesnt even need to turn it off as the 75 watt lamp doesnt get hotter than 32. I put some Foil around the Steel Lamp Clamp as a reflector and that gave it an extra 0.8 Degrees C. I bought A reptile one Infrared 75 watt but it hardly seem infrared and puts out a orange glow, Can the Snake see this light at night? and would it disturb its day/night cycle? I may opt for a ceramic Globe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back