New snake owner - HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginner-snake

Reaction score
Heyy all,
I am looking to purchase a Stimson python in a few months, i have been researching for the past few weeks of what is needed in the tank and made lists of what i need.
Basically what i am asking is for help me set up my enclosure.
I have written down what I need as I said but im just clueless with finding things.
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me and example of a ready to go enclosure etc. list of products needed if all you have in an enclosure.
I also need some questions answered.
What is the best substrate to use
How do you make the temp hot one side and cool the other side.
What lamps/heat mats do I use and how many (UVB, Infrared, Ceramic)
and if there is any online shops that anyone can recommend
Thank you all in advance
:) :) :)

Substrate - newspaper, paperroll ,kitty litter ( i use)
u have a heat lamp on one side of the tank at just say 32 degrees the other side doesnt get heated and is about 21 defrees
1 heat lamp will do if using an enclosure and 1 heat mat will do id using a hatchiling tub to raise it until you put it in a enclosure , enclosure should be half the size of the python , online shops are ... Victorianreptiles.com.au or ebay/ google search australian reptiles supplies. Im tired hope it made sense...

- - - Updated - - -

Snakes dont need uvb, except for diamond pythons from what ive heard, i dont use uvb. Get ceramic bulbs they last longer ad heat better make sure u have cages around ur heat lights etc because snakes will wrap on them and crack it, which will burn and cut the snake

Well said iherp!!!! It sounds more confusing than it really is. Look on here for housing a juvenile
(Click clacks) or google snake enclosure setup.

As far as an online shop is concerned you can't go past Reptile Direct for an everything in 1 place online shop :) ........................Ron

Last edited:
These questions get asked so often by beginners. It would be good to have a sticky or section of the forum with information specifically for beginners which answered most basic questions and pointed new herpers in the right direction.

Awesome that was all really helpful :) thank you all heaps :D

- - - Updated - - -

is there any certain brand of kitty litter that is better to use :) thank you :)

okay you need to go onto ebay, buy a thermostat there $11 dollers cheap and ships from honk kong, Heat mat or heat cord. I suggest cords. When you have that research how to set it up. Its simple. you want the hides temp at 32-33 degrees. no higher than 34 no lower than 32. (I use this anyways). Click clack container bigger than a dinner plate for a baby hatchie available at cheap stores, coles etc. drill holes in top and sides for ventilation and one for thermostat probe at one of the sides at bottem... tissue or kitchen roll for substrate. a hide, this can be a cardboard box... water dish... can be shallow cup, saucer, etc..... hide goes on heat cord. heat takes up less than half the tank..... click clack container. get some pinky rats and fuzzy rats.... feed once weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back