New Zealand Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
With all the talk on illegal exotics coming into the country and attempts at illegally exporting our natives it's had me pondering the thought; What about New Zealand?

Can you keep a pet snake in New Zealand? The following couple of articles make for some interesting reading!

September 17, 2004. Snake Smugglers Target Snake-Free Zone.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/7242_1010949,001800080002.htm

and who said NZ never had snakes? Looks like a species simular to our Chondro used to exist there :roll:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/08/0809_020808_wirnzsnake.html

Re: RE: New Zealand Snakes

ether said:
Can you keep a pet snake in New Zealand?

None actually live there!

Really :shock: You're joking? :shock: What about the Irish Python, surely one of those lives there? :roll: :lol:

Hence the question! Can you bring them in and keep them?! What are their laws on reptile keeping? Does it limit them to lizards only?

RE: Re: RE: New Zealand Snakes

No you cant

RE: Re: RE: New Zealand Snakes

They prefer sheep.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Zealand Snakes

ether said:

That we be like us keeping boas or something.
But they aren't us, it's New Zealand! Did you know that they are an entirely different country to us Ether :lol: (thats to get you back for thinking I didn't know NZ was snake-free :wink: ) They probably have different regulations -thats what Im getting at! Even though I'm guessing they don't! Do you know Ether or are you just hypothesing? If we have keepers of exotics here under legal restricted licences whats to stop an original influx of these animals reaching NZ by collectors? Not that I really give a bunch of bananas anyway, I was hoping someone might have a bit more insight!

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Zealand Snakes

Settle down... 8) :)

Did you know that they are an entirely different country to us Ether

Are you sure about that lol :) :eek:

(Notice the smiles)

Thank god some answers! Thanks Hix & Fuscy I can rely on you! It's all I ask lol I just thought I'd raise an interesting topic for discussion. I looked & looked today for any information on reptile groups in NZ and they seem just about non-existant! Surely places like Ireland and the like, snake-free zones, can get snakes for collectors on demand? If the Americans can get everything from Bengal Tigers to just about every single species of our snakes, I thought what are the guidelines for places that have none (eg. New Zealand) Got it yet Ether, jesus!:):):) lots of smiles cos it's all cool! :wink:

Is that kiwi girl wearing some kind of space suit to avoid being bitten? :lol:

"The Eastern Brown snake is a killer. If it naturalised in New Zealand no child would be safe playing in bush down the back of the garden," she said.

...and here's the proof! :wink: This one had been spotted hunting a number of kids in the local area only recently! Oh, Spare me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back