newbie vegetarian

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but i used to work in an abattoir and its far from cruel! The animals are humanly killed, they dont feel a thing! Trust me, if i thought it was cruel there is no way i would be able to work there! They are also extremely Clean, as i was a cleaner there b4 i started work on the kill floor, and you can not miss a single drop of blood, they have ohs workers come in and inspect your area and if you missed anything you have to go over it again! But thats just my opinion!!

ah, sorry my mum loves me cooking because she doesn't have to do it
thats me i let my 11 yr old cook and my 8 yr old help me makes my life easy and they are learning something as for being a veg my dad was for years so i had to be when around him i eat meat now but not much and as for killing animals some ppl have to kill the ones they call pests. i used to go shooting on weekends were a guy let us shot anything from rabbits to wild goats, roos never had dogs do it.look at what happens to the chooks were you are getting your eggs from what about fish you eating that??? google vegitarian recipes and see were that takes you. good luck with it

Jess, that may be true but in general I don't think killing animals is humane at all. But that's just my opinion! :p

fritzi, PhilK was referring to how many teenage girls turn vegetarian because of something they've seen on tv or the internet (eg. factory farming videos), but have not researched proper vegetarian diets or been to see their doctor. Because of this, they often lack vital vitamins and minerals, and sometimes because deficient in certain things, such as iron. This can lead to all sorts of problems (including lack of energy, illness, etc)

At least you're starting to go about it the right way.

Thank you for clearing that up. I have been researching vegetarian diets all day.

Jessica85, not all abattoirs are ethical or hygenic. And indeed, I can find no evidence that factory farming is a humane practice at all (which what, I suppose, the issue is here).

Ok, in saying that are you also going to put ur snakes on a veg diet? :lol:

Jessica95 said:
Ok, in saying that are you also going to put ur snakes on a veg diet? :lol:

What on earth does that have to do with vegetarian diets for people? Please stick to the topic at hand.

I understand that not all are clean but most are! In saying that neither is anywhere else that produce food for consumption! Have you seen the conditions that hens live in that produce eggs for our consumption? I think that is far worse than a sheep getting a quick electric shock to the back of the neck or a cow getting a quick bolt on the head??

I only eat free range eggs in the first place. Anyway I don't see how ANY of this is ANYONE else's problem but my own so maybe all BACK OFF and the people with positive & helpful suggestions about ways to stay healthy etc, are more than welcome to post. Otherwise I would appreciate it if you didn't waste any of your superior time on my obviously unimportant and ridiculous threads ;) Thanks.

We visit farms, dairies, piggerie, abattoirs, beef farms etc etc all the time in the course of our uni degree... I was pleasantly suprised by each abattoir I have been to. I have found them to be excellent and much more humane than I envisioned.. Not for the squeamish, I'll admit, but no animal suffering there.

The same goes for piggeries and dairies - they are strictly regulated and while from the outside people think they are cruel (usually people with NO idea by the way) they adhere to strict guidelines and are regulated very severely, especially these days. Keep in mind, too, that what is "cruel" in a human's eye doesn't often reflect the same with animals. Just because you wouldn't like to live the way they do, it doesn't mean they're unhappy. Scientific studies are done all the time on farming and you will be suprised at the results of how animals "feel" about many of the situations PETA etc think are crimes against nature.

Furthermore, not all meat you're not eating is raised in a "cruel" way.. much of Australian beef (and essentially ALL sheep) are raised on large extensive properties. The animals live free except for twice a year when people see them for shipping/management reasons... That is far from a cruel life. Remember that just because you love animals doesn't mean you can't eat them. I wouldn't be studying vet if I wasn't mad keen about animals, but I'd eat any animal there is (circumstances permitting).

I understand I cannot sway you back to the meat eating way of life, and I don't mind (more meat for me!) but it is important to know you cannot believe everything you see or read - especially 99% of the pro-vegetarian stuff on the internet. Do your own decision making!

Good luck anyway!

EDIT: free range chooks typically have WAY more health issues than caged chooks do, just for your information ;)

I understand completely what you are trying to say but I would personally feel better, spiritually, as a person if I was to stop eating most o my meat intake. I also have no grudges against people that do eat met. It is a personal choice everyone makes in their life. Thanks.

Sorry about my spelling I just wrote a one thousand word biology report and my fingers cant take much more :)

I do agree with you, PhilK, I was just wondering if you knew how much of the meat we eat is imported from overseas?

fritzi2009 said:
Sorry about my spelling I just wrote a one thousand word biology report and my fingers cant take much more :)

One thousand words is nothing :D

I do agree with you, PhilK, I was just wondering if you knew how much of the meat we eat is imported from overseas?
Not off the top of my head mate, but I could look up my meat science notes and see if they cover it there for you.. Just buy Australian beef and you'll be right, it's the best there is anyway!

I can't find anything on how much beef is imported here, sorry. Not even on Google - it mustn't be much haha. It is interesting though that Australia is the 9th biggest beef growing country in the world, but the second biggest beef exporting country, after Brazil, but I think we may have overtaken them now. 65% of Aussie beef is exported

Last edited:
I will have to totally agree with you on that Philk, most ppl don't have the slightest clue on what actually goes on in those industries, all they do is believe what they see, hear or read! So until you have been inside of these industries I really don't think you have the right to say its cruel when in actual fact you have no idea!
But anyway good luck with it all!!

Last edited:
Australia does not Import red meat we export it!! We do however import Fish...

Okay let's not start arguing about essays =.= I'm ending this thread if you guys wanna keep fighting be my guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back