Newest addition, with a cleft nose.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
This is my new baby, a hatchling green tree snake who I have named Treble.
Unfortunately she was born with a cleft in her left nostril and the breeder wanted her to go to a home where she would be well looked after even with her condition.
I have had her for just over a week and just started tentatively handling her. She didn't seem stressed by it but just working on handling her bit by bit.

She's currently feeding on small fresh guppies from the supply I have for my turtle although I am still assist feeding at this point. I am hoping she will soon learn to hunt the fish by herself and constantly have 3 baby guppies in a small bowl which I check several times a day to hopefully stimulate her to hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_6135 copy.jpg
    IMG_6135 copy.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6146.JPG
    IMG_6146.JPG
    391.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_6141.JPG
    IMG_6141.JPG
    475.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6127.jpg
    IMG_6127.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
what a lovely snakey. Well done for your hard work!!

What does the term 'cleft nose' mean?
Sorry, I've never heard of it :s

A cleft it basically a fissure or opening when bone or tissue doesn't develop properly. So with her, where the nostril is, the flesh beneath didn't develop properly and has left her with a hole running from her nostril to where her lip should be. It could be something that developed genetically, but also may have been simply that something went wrong during incubation. Either way, I won't ever breed her just in case it is genetic.

In humans having a cleft palate is fairly common and when it's on the hard palate and extends through to the front of the face it is also call it a harelip.
Myself, I was born with a cleft soft palate which was repaired, but has left me with a weak palate and no uvula.

She's very sweet! And who better to look after her! Congrats on your new baby :)
I had a dog with a cleft lip, and although initially hard work, it was worth it! Clefts are not that unusual in a wide variety of species - just in the wild they rarely make it...

i had a dog i took in at 5 days old that was born with a cleft just under her nose and was not feeding. she has a hole in the back of her mouth her top gum was deformed and her top lip was deformed. everyone thought she would die but she lived and learnt to eat on her own and as she got older it improve a bit.

good luck with your special little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back