Nippy Stimi Hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

c.wulli

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My brother bought himself a hatchling stimsons pythons about 2 months ago! He is now just over 4 months old!

The problem is he can not hold him! We've tried everything that everyone suggests on every thread, we left him alone for the first 2 weeks after the move, we've made sure to feed him in a different place to his usual home, his temps are at 32 degrees with a temp gradient, he has a snug hide and we make sure every time my brother goes to hold everything is calm and quiet!

Even though we've tried all the usual things that people suggest this snake is still very aggressive! Like, just putting your hand at ground level outside the plastic container will cause a strike (he hits the plastic off course)! No one can go close to him or his cage without him getting super aggressive, I have never seen this snake in a non striking position!

does anyone have any tips or know what could be causing him to be this aggressive and defensive?

thansk heaps guys :lol:

Providing he is being fed enough it just means you have to handle him. A 4 month old stimmy will do well to break the skin with a bite lol. Just handle the snake and get it used to human interaction.

He is on 2 pinky mice per feed, feeding every 6 days

Hi Mate,
I had a similar problem with my Childrini when I got him/her.
It strike at the glass and be super defensive whenever someone walked past its cage and I was pretty much handling it every day or ever second day hoping it will mellow down and always get bit (and this thing was biting everywhere: hands, arms, nose :p).
This went on for about 9 months if not more until one day it just stopped biting and hasn’t bitten me once since. Except that one time I forgot to wash my hands after handling some mice (rookie mistake…did deserve it)
Just be patience with it mate and it should mellow down. It’s a kid after all
Cheers,
Kris

Cheers Kris, we'll keep at it with handling him and hope he mellows down soon :D

Just pick it up and gently handle it for a couple minutes a day. It isn't a 5m scrubby, a 4 month old stimi bite feels like someone throwing toothpicks at you.

We have a little stimmy here as well who likes to get his cranky on. Haha... He is settling over time, hopefully yours will too. (Haha, throwing toothpicks at you! Love that)

Patience, mine was the same then all of a sudden became a pussy cat. It is just seeing you as a predator and is scared. Be confident and the snake will pick up on this and will calm eventually.

my yellow childreni was the same mate. She was an absolute nutter but now that she is getting larger she has settled.. perhaps she feels less of a prey item now that she is bigger. I would leave her be for now perhaps move up a food size. Some might say to keep handling but I found that my snake is much easier to try and get used to handling now (doesnt strike anymore) that she is larger.

Try using a small hook as the first point of contact then put your hand underneath, it's not as scary as a big hand diving in.

Time is all it takes m8, i bought 2 hatchling spotties from the same clutch (born Dec 2012) it only took the male 1 month to settle down but the female is still a bit flighty and will bite if i make a sudden move but she is slowly settling down, as advised just keep on handling for 10-15 minutes a day and as bigjoe said using a hook can often make all the difference as the stimmi will more than likely feel less threatened if it is picked up on a hook and then let it go to your brother on its own terms...........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back