No Poo Bredli

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

My girl is about 18 mths old. had some problems going to toilet b4 winter and thought they were cleared up. had 3 feeds since winter now and this last one she hasnt done aanything for about 3 weeks now. I have been massaging her on the lawn every few days and cant feel any build up inside her and shee doesnt look like she really needs to go. I have started to give her warm bath and massaging a little. Should i feed her again once more to see if she will go after that or just keep trying to get her to go. Her last feed wasnt quite as large as what she has been having previously.

Cheers
Chris

Dear Chris,

I have encountered this problem before. Mine however soon stopped eating. As a last resort I tried worming her with Panacur (sp??). I am sure she did not have worms but it cleared the blockage. What came out was fairly well preserved (for something that had been in her for over a year) and covered in mucus. (It was recognisable bits of partially digested rat ;-) )

Other things you may wish to try are exercise and parafin oil. I have known a few keepers who have let their serpents roam, usually in the back yard, when a poop is passed due. Parafin oil is a well known snake laxitive. It is not digested and passes through the system lubricating along the way.

regards __daavid

Thanx for the reply
How much parafin oil do you give them how often and how do you give it to them ???

thanx for any help
cheers
chris

Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

cg said:
Thanx for the reply
How much parafin oil do you give them how often and how do you give it to them ???

thanx for any help
cheers
chris

This is not something I have done personally so others with more experience please feel free to make comment.

Because parafin oil is inert and not digested as such there is unlikely to be a problem with overdosing or other issues.

Assuming your guy still wants to feed I would try a couple of CC in a food item. You could inject it into the food item or if a syringe is not handy fill one or two the those gel capsules and pop it in the mouth of the prey item.

If it is not feeding I would use a dosing syringe (the Herp Shop sells these) and gently squirt a small amount down its throat. VERY IMPORTANT - make sure you it goes down the throat and not the breathing tube. If this does not make sense get somebody who knows to show you

RE: Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

That's a long time to have a poo in your system. :shock:

RE: Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

Thanx herp trader

how much is couple of CC anyone ?????

sorry for the questions lol

So it wouldnt hurt her if i feed her again even though she hasnt been to the toilet yet. Like i said she doesnt look like she really needs to go either.

cheers Chris

Re: RE: Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

Samma3l said:
how much is couple of CC anyone ?????

a couple of cm^3/millilitres etc

I cubic centimeter is 0.001 of a litre or 10 ml. If you take a trundle down to your local chemist he or she should be able to help you with both the parafin and some gel capsules and show you how to use them. My hunch is that the safest way for you to approach this is to fill a largish gel capsule with parafin and slide it into the mouth of your dead prey item before feeding it to your snake.

How big is your snake? I am assuming that it is not a hatchling?

Re: RE: Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

Mr.K said:
for something that had been in her for over a year
WOW, geez, OMG :shock:

It was as if the partially digested prey had been preserved into a stable state. I remember being fascinated at the time. (... not to mention quite releived that I had finally worked out why she was not eating.) What came out had no obvious odour.

After that she ate regularly.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: No Poo Bredli

Looks like someone is up ****s creek :p

Hi guys

Just an update

No poo yet
Tried the parafin
Spoke to the vet and am continueing to feed as normal at the moment and see how we go as well as excercise on the lawn and warm baths. I can feel a small lump or two at the right end of the schute but nothing as yet. Keep trying at the moment.
everything else seems fine with her.

cheers
chris

FInally

Had her out on the grass yesterday and massaging a bit could definitely feel a few lumps in there and after a while out it all came. about 5 lumps of hardened stuff and then a long green mixture and also a lot of water. Big relief. I would say a bit relief for her too. Will feed her today and see how we go from now.

Cheers
Chris

I would say a bit relief for her too.
:shock: I would think so!! Congrats and good job... Let's just hope she keeps it up, and there wasn't something else involved..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back