Non food response constricting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltnclark

Reaction score
Today was a super hot day here in Canberra and my 2 y.o male diamond python did get a little hot for a couple of hours. Enclosure got to 34 degrees. I came home from work early to cool the team, and got the diamond out to check on him and offer him a swim in the bath tub. He didn't seem stressed at all and was actually quite relaxed.

After 15 mins, he started to constrict on my arm and hand. He had a very good grip and was burying his head into his grip as well (hard to explain). He didn't look aggressive nor had he even looked like biting. Once I untwisted him from my arm, he happily went back into his enclosure. I haven't seen this behaviour before and was wondering had anybody else seen it? He is usually very tolerant of me and very inquisitive. He feeds well and sheds well and is in very good health.

Is this normal behaviour? Is it a stressed response to something? I understand that all animals are different etc etc but I wanted to check that I haven't caused it somehow through heat stress or something?????

Any thoughts appreciated.

I know that when some carpet and Anteresia pythons over heat they will 'bury' their heads under their coils...

I know my jungle likes to make my hand turn purple when she's wrapped around my wrist. She squeezes so tight she can't move!

I know that when some carpet and Anteresia pythons over heat they will 'bury' their heads under their coils...

I know my jungle likes to make my hand turn purple when she's wrapped around my wrist. She squeezes so tight she can't move!

Yer this was hard to explain. He was kind of flattening his entire neck and head into the grip.

This is what I am talking about though. fingers were going blue

Yeah my jungle does the same thing! She flattens herself and you can feel each individual muscle moving. They are just playing 'let me see how long it takes before your hand falls off!' :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back