Noob with questions- damaged scales and grumpy baby.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doratheexplorer

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm a noob to the herp-world and the forums. I have a 4yr old Woma and a grumpy little 18m old Bredli who wants me dead. I have a question about both of them. Dora, my Woma- who I love to death- I got her about 2 weeks ago and I immediately noticed that she had some damaged scales. I have no idea what caused it, but I hoped that it might disappear with her next shed. She shed last night and the 'damaged' area is now more prominent. I have attached a picture of it in the hopes that someone will say- "Oh that! That's completely normal- don't worry, she's gorgeous and will be fine."
Dora damaged scales.jpg

The other question have is about old grumpy-pants, Henry. He's my Bredli who has the most beautiful colouring but he wants me dead. He flips out if he gets picked up, he bites and thrashes his head from side to side and he makes it perfectly clear that he is not mine to hold, he is his own being and belongs to no one. I know there's a chance that he will never grow out of it, but I've had suggestions from "leave him alone for a week" to "keep handling him, he will get used to it." Any opinions that are additional to those two would be helpful.

Thanks all!

p.s. LOVE all the advice I find on here. It's SUPER helpful! :)

Can't help with the Woma but do know a little about cranky Bredli's.
My 4 yr old female was a maneater but not any more.
What you do with yours depends on how long you've had him. If he's new leave him for a bit, even cover his enclosure to make him feel more secure.
If you have had him a while then be super persistant like i have been but i had a secret weapon. WELDING GLOVES.
They work a treat as they build your confidence because the fear of being bitten is so diminished & because you are more confident he may well settle down. It won't happen straight away, it takes time as i learned but is well worth it if it works like it did for me.

Also wouldn't hurt to feed him up a bit. That may well also help to settle him.

Thanks for that. I only got him early in the new year and he was my first. I have noticed that he's very uncomfortable whenever anyone's near his viv so perhaps giving him some privacy is a good idea. How long do you think he needs to be kept in solitary confinement for?

I've been feeding him very well since I got him. The breeder I bought him from admitted to not having fed him well so I've been making up for it with double helpings. He's growing really fast.

I have soft leather gloves AND a layer of soft cotton gloves to protect my hands from his wrath, but he still shakes his head violently from one side to another like a petulant child. It'd be funny if I wasn't so concerned that he's never going to grow out of it.

Thanks for your advice. I shall definitely try giving him some peace and quiet for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back