Not really APS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Perhaps this should not be posted here but I am clutching at straws again thanks to this box of electronic bits and pieces!!!
If I am on dial up it cuts me off after a short while and I have to reconnect, if I am on adsl it just slows right down then fails to connect to anything page wise and I have to reboot the poota!! Anyone have any ideas before I throw the thing out the window???

get a different isp. and check them all out before choosing.
some cut off after 5 hours, some slow down, some charge extra for downloads....
i'm lucky, small town, local isp is very generous...i can stay connected for days!

Does it cut off if your idle for a while? check dialup properties dialog box for something like "disconnect if idle for x mins" or similar then uncheck box. call your isp ! check your phone connection, it IS melbourne! :p sounds like phone problem to me tho, do you have "{call waiting"? this sometimes interupts dialup. best to call your internety service provider and speak with a teck, so many things it could be mate, sorry. ....................did you spill red wine? :p

Judging from your full mailbox when I send you emails, you have lots of problems, me old mate!

If you are still having problems in January, I can call in and have a look for ya if interested and if still not fixed by then! :wink:

Unfortunately I was just gullable enough to look for it on my keyboard :( :lol:

LOL guys and thanks :) Might just take you up on that Lusty, even if it is fixed by then, always a bottle of red and a barbie for you here mate :)

It's not phone problems, it's not only dial up, it's only on the one computer and it's not bl**dy fair, boo hoo :)

Thanks again guys :)

just get really sh#ty and run defragment and then have a tantrum when that dont help.(thats what I do) Have you tryed slapping it?That makes me feel good for a bit.

parko, you may have somethingthere. A pc collects an enormous amount of junk files, which after a while can cause malfunctions. I suggest a good cl;eanout to start. I have a great cleanup program thats automatic and wont interfere with anything you've installed. you'll be surprised how much space it reclaims. perhaps performance will be etter after. i'll send you via pm Africa. just install and click on it, thats it. After that a defragment is a very good idea, it should be done once a week imo. Is your pc slow to react or open programs africa? Your hard disc stores parts of programs in various places, not together. when you run a program, even internet explorer for example, your hard disc's arm must go back n forth across the disc surface looking for parts of that program. Each time you install or delete something, gaps are created, thus the disc info becomes "fragmented.your pc must then search ever more places to retreive parts of programs you want to run, thus slowing performance. defragment will "sort it out" putting bits and peices together and free space at the end, hence less searching for program components and faster performance. If your disc is severly fragmented, it may "time out" while searching for components of your internet connection program thus cutting you off.
Anyway, try the cleanup program, them defragment the hard discv and see how you go eh? ~cheers :wink:

I find that when I use dial up (home comp) For the first few times I try to open up APS, my whole screen freezes and I have to do
ctrl + alt + delete
But if I open something else up first (ie hotmail) then type in the APS web address it dont freeze.

I thought computers were meant to make life easier?!

Phil

if you haven't tried it see if you can try an alternate modem. I used to get heaps of problems with an Acer modem but had no problems with two thers I had available - The problem one was only a year older that the XIRCOM and younger than the Acer laptop with an internal modem. beep beep beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back