Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am positive that this information is incorrect - NPWS have a ballot to re-home animals in these circumstances...

It is the same as unreleasable rescues being handed in to the local Herp club...

Are any of you interested in the marine fish trade for aquariums?

People originally thought "What's a few fish", "What's a few coral", "Won't cause any damage".

Bangaii Cardinal Fish sought after ONLY for the marine aquarium trade were just added to the list of endangered fish, or threatened fish.

NEVER underestimate the consequences of allowing wild collection. There is NO need for wild collection and I hope it is never allowable nationally.

Charlie, fair enough, I plan to work for QPWS so found your comments interesting (Studying parks and wildlife management, wildlife bio and tropical forest management right now).

But that's why it is so sad. What if these diamonds aren't from wild caught stock. What if someone somewhere along the line gave some babies to someone off licence.... there's just no way of knowing.
NPWS should just adopt them out or something like that.

Grumpy:

What you've been told is crap (unless there is more to the story than we've been told).

PM me the details of who you spoke to and I'll see if I can get this sorted with NPWS Head Office today.

:p

Hix

surely if the NPWS confiscated the babies and then distributed them to licenced people then it would not encourage people to take wild snakes and breed them because the person who took the wild parents would get no profit and so they would be more likely to get a licence so they can actually make some money.

this is assuming the parents were not wild caught and are simply captive bred that are off licence

I've been involved with NPWS wild caught raids before, the animals will be handed over to a wildlife group to be held for any pending court action. After the dust settles then the wildlife group and local herp society approve a ballot to distribute the animals amongst licenced keepers. The only reason they will be destroyed is if they are kept along with exotics.

I've been involved with NPWS wild caught raids before, the animals will be handed over to a wildlife group to be held for any pending court action. After the dust settles then the wildlife group and local herp society approve a ballot to distribute the animals amongst licenced keepers. The only reason they will be destroyed is if they are kept along with exotics.

is that incase of like disease and/or parasite transfer ?

seems a shame, but i guess its the right thing to do to stop nasties getting into licenced collections....

He might of been from NPWS...just to see if you would take the bait ...so to speak.....lol

Grumpy:

What you've been told is crap (unless there is more to the story than we've been told).

PM me the details of who you spoke to and I'll see if I can get this sorted with NPWS Head Office today.

:p

Hix

Hix... there is no more to the story.. I just phoned NPWS - 02) 95856406 and spoke to a very nice lady. Everything I have said here.. is what I told her... and it is all the truth. A fellow that knows I have snakes, told me that a "mate" of his has some diamond babies that need a home. He said he would get back to me, but I haven't seen him this week. That is the God's honest truth. If I knew more I would tell you. I don't even know the guys name that came into work and told me!!

Tatelina - I actually said that to the lady, and she said that they would do the same thing.

Garthnfay - if you saw this guy... ummmm.. nope, he's definately not NPWS. I see him quite regularly around town.. he's a local. I just don't know him, he's been in a couple of times, but I'm not in the habbit of befriending every client.

I'll keep you all updated as this progresses

Grumpy - Noone is doubting your conversation with your customer - what we are telling you is the information that NPWS are giving you is utter rubbish...that is not how the system works...

...as many people have already told you - native species that are seized, and have not been found kept with exotic species are NOT euthanised - they are redistributed through NPWS ballots or through Herpetelogical Societies...

Ring five different people in ANY Government Department and you will get five different answers lol

Ring five different people in ANY Government Department and you will get five different answers lol

HAHAHAHA - that's exactly right - search for threads re: NPWS and you will also find that you can ring five different people in NPWS and get twelve different answers! :D

Yeah, I know that Aslan, Hix was making sure that there wasn't anything I left out... and I was just reiterating what happened. Believe me... I would like nothing more than, for this woman to be wrong.

It just knocked me back a step when I was trying to do the right thing, and got told that.. The first thing I did was come to a place where I knew people would understand, try to help, debate, and let me vent. I know this is an open forum where anyone can drop in and say anything... but I feel secure here.. like being amongst old friends. And as I thought.. after talking to everyone here.. I feel better about the whole situation.

So.. on that note..a big THANKYOU to everyone.

I'd be asking if this policy applies to all illegally kept native animals

I mean if i had a pet wombat or sugar glider( on my wish list:)) and NPWS caught me surely they would'nt put it down would they? Why should a snake be any different??

I'd be asking if this policy applies to all illegally kept native animals

I mean if i had a pet wombat or sugar glider( on my wish list:)) and NPWS caught me surely they would'nt put it down would they? Why should a snake be any different??

I know in Qld they have killed ppl's pet roos before, real scum whoever decides these things.

pfffft this is nothing at least your local wildlife agency ising CALM........ i dont have to comment on some of theyre past actions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back