Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a little beardie handed into me that was very sick. I had a visit from Parks and wildlife the first thing I showed them was the little beardie that I didn't have on the books. They asked me was it wild caught or captive bred - I told them I didn't know. I had a bit of an argument with the lady that brought it in about the condition of the beardie and she stormed out - never to be seen again. The guy from parks and wildlife said it would have to be released, I said it would never survive. It had relied on me for heat and food for about a mth and it was the middle of winter. His reply was yes it probably will die, 95% of them do - the birds get them. I was mortified! I finally won over, saying to him that he had no proof that it was wild caught, therefore he couldn't release it. He eventually said that if I hadn't heard from the lady in a week he would sign it over to me.
I know this is a totally different situation but I couldn't believe how hardened he was.

I don't believe NPWS would do that. They may have told you that, but how could they kill a native animal that they have protected. More likely they would end up at wildlife parks in in Fauna Care to be released. Believe it or not Mystery animals can learn to adapt in the wild. You don't know if it was wild caught so how can you say it couldn't survive if released. Sure if its sick, it needs rehabiliation first, but once it passes a clean bill of health it would be then be prepared for taking care of itself and released into the wild in its locality amongst others of its species.

I had a little pink-tongued skink come into me last week - an unlicensed pet no longer wanted. I am also a registered Foster Carer for reptile wildlife so due to the fact that it is not on license I have no choice but to placed the little lizard on my Fauna records. He will stay in my care until the weather warms up more and then I'll let him go somewhere where there are other pink tongues about.

I know in Qld they have killed ppl's pet roos before, real scum whoever decides these things.
These animals come to notice because the clowns that have raised them have them sexually imprinted and they turn violent, won't let them out the door or kick the crap out of anything that comes near the house. So they then ring NP or a wildlife group and ask them to handle it.
There's nothing that can undo this, so don't blame the person pulling the trigger.

Sounds like a typical response from a typical narrow minded beaurocrat who dosent have a clue and dosent give a ******* either! Thats public service for you, nothing new there.
Ballot or something would be the way to go, since they wont be released to the wild, but often the law gets in the way of common sense.
Talk to somebody higher up.

I don't believe NPWS would do that. They may have told you that, but how could they kill a native animal that they have protected.

Why would they tell me that if they had no intentions of doing it? I asked them if it could go to a wildlife park and he said no - they already have enough of them.

Why would they tell me that if they had no intentions of doing it? I asked them if it could go to a wildlife park and he said no - they already have enough of them.
Maybe you should try again, and speak to someone else. That person just doesn't sound right, telling you they are gonig to kill protected native fauna. Even the RSPCA doesn't do that.

Maybe you should try again, and speak to someone else. That person just doesn't sound right, telling you they are gonig to kill protected native fauna. Even the RSPCA doesn't do that.[/QUOTE

I agree with you totally - that is why it flawed me. Unfortunately the little guy died anyway.
He is the head Wildlife Ranger at QPWS in Toowoomba Qld.

Oh poor thing :( That's just wrong. i know the RSPCA don't deal with wildlife but the RSPCA doesn't euthanise stray pets without trying to find owners for them first. And QPWS is suppose to be about protecting our native animals, not killing them just because they come from illegal holders. If they are going to kill them, then whats the point of the licenses other than law and money. I thought the idea of the licenses was so they could keep track and trace on captive fauna.

Still haven't heard anything today. But hopefully Mysnakesau, if what most people are saying here is true, the little diamonds won't see the needle!!

Actually, the RSPCAs reputation for euthanasia is actually very terrible. The RSPCA is one of the parties leading the fight to ban specific dog breeds which results in thousands of dogs being murdered.

I have no issues with *PWS giving the animals to licenced keepers and judging by the replies here I think they do that and the person on the phone was an idiot, I don't support releasing them though (obviously).

easy way to fix the problem, have snakes on licence in the first place. snake licences are needed for a reason. if it wasnt for the irrisposible actions of who ever bred them off licence, there wouldnt be this discusion nor would any animals be at risk of having to be euthenaised.

I agree with you totally Bundy. It's just that, now that this situation has arisen, there is a need for this discussion. I was only saying to my hubby yesterday... it puts me in a situation that I don't like being in.
If these snakes are off licence.... it have a horrible decision to make. I want to do the right thing and put this guy in to NPWS. I don't know him.. so there is no "loyalty" issue or anything like that. But if I do... are they going to euthanize the animals?? And if I don't, the problem with off licence breeders still remains and only gets worse!!

These animals come to notice because the clowns that have raised them have them sexually imprinted and they turn violent, won't let them out the door or kick the crap out of anything that comes near the house. So they then ring NP or a wildlife group and ask them to handle it.
There's nothing that can undo this, so don't blame the person pulling the trigger.

Perhaps that would be true for male roos, i was under the impression female roos where a differant story, i know of one that lives near some of my relatives that was released by ignorant hippy type carers(a long way away from any other roos) and although it romes freely it is as domsticated and peaceful as any other domestic animal and will go into ppls houses if the door is left open. One story i saw on TV was a family with a peaceful well adapted doe that was take with force while all the kids where crying etc.

I wasnt blaming the person who pulls the trigger, but the person who bans the keeping of native wildlife, making this the ONLY option. Its also obviously the fault of the owner assuming they knew it was illegal(many wouldnt think that such stupid laws existed).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back