nutrition value - woodies v crickets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluewater

Reaction score
hi,
im sure its been done before, but is there any difference in nurtition value between the two? wich is more beneficial for my gex?
also, is there anything else worth trying for food sources for my amyae other than dusted woodies or crix and is multi vit powder essential or will calcium suffice?
cheers

the nutrition value is similler...

if you vary between the two it is better i find..

i add meal worms(crush the heads), roaches to mines food aswell...

woodies are thought of as nutritionally better, I used to have rough nutritional values but not on me at present, crickets have a high Ca: P ratio, a google search will provide a nutritional comparison. feeding both (or more) is better than only feeding the one.

multivitamin supplement provides all the necessary vitamin and minerals not generally achieved via a captive diet. it is recommended to use both. ideally also provide as varied diet as possible along with ensuring feeder insects are in top condition by ensuring they receive their optimal nutritional requirements.

Last edited:
One advantage of crickets is that they hold calcium dustings better. Apart from that they are both mostly protein with roughage.

On the other hands roaches are easier to breed ;-)

i'd always heard roaches have a better meat to shell ratio and are great for weight gain, but that was regarding raising beardies.

ive found my amyae prefer crickets to roaches, roaches are an emergency only food when the pet shop is out of crickets....and to be honest, unless i actually hold the roach next to their faces till tehy bite it, theyre likely to just wait for crickets. half the time i get them to bite they spit it out anyway cos its the wrong flavour.

another food amyae love is superworms, i've only ever used the freshly shed ones tho so u need heaps if u want a regualr supply of nice soft ones! :p

re dusting, i only use calcium and make sure their crickets are fed healthy food an hour or 2 beofre the geckos get them.
i also get them out in the sun for an hour a week. (late afternoon sun that is,...)

i feed my geckos crickets
i feed my dragon crickets and woodies

smaller size crickets have a softer shell and more protein. Both are a great staple though mate.

Avoid meal worms for crickets and draogns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back