O.O No one told me Blueys could Climb!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the water bowl... check if it is wet underneath where the bowl was sitting. I've found that some of the cheaper ceramic bowls you see around can't even hold water. It slowly seeps through the bottom over a couple of hours. If yours is a plastic one check it for cracks and small holes.

Yep I found out the hard way in an out door pit they can and and are good climbers make a fly wire screen that pushes in tight

Could you slide the lid so the gap is at the front and not near the rock wall?? I know with a fish tank i had once you could? other than that yeah, the wooden surround with fly mesh is a great thing, very easy to make too!!!!

The water bowl a "bark" bowl wasnt water tight.. it has a small crack or something in it.

I practically ripped apart my tank :( its fixed now... rock wall is outside the enclosure, so are the plants.. so unless they can climb up glass I think its safe now:)

"Awesome, let's put lizards in pet shops and sell them to people, telling them that they have legs too weak to climb a rock wall."

PMSL... couldn't resist could ya! haha.

"Awesome, let's put lizards in pet shops and sell them to people, telling them that they have legs too weak to climb a rock wall."

PMSL... couldn't resist could ya! haha.

Well, here is yet another example of what happens when pet shops are allowed to deal with reptiles. If you want shops, expect this sort of problem, and worse.

Ive got the same problem with my male thick tail gecko he climbs everything and find him some night just hanging upside on the flyscreen cover.
I made the cover for my tank just like you make a flyscreen cover for a window and works perfectly, got all the stuff from Bunnings

Yep, blueys can climb when they are determined. They can climb vertically and even climb along branches, balancing very well. Those short, stocky legs are actually quite strong. If frequently observe my Blueys climbing branches (which are for the Dragons) that are 1 metre high.You really need to arrange the cage furniture so that everything is away from the walls. This will help make the Bluey stop thinking about climbing. When you include rock walls etc you're actually putting ideas in your Blueys head.

A thirsty Bluey can ingest quite a bit of water. I'd say half the water was drunk by the Bluey and the rest evaporated.

Thank you very much everyone :)

I ended up ripping apart my poor tank, the rock wall is outside the enclosure now. The only things inside are the 3 big droopy leaves (well off the ground). There is a repti vine that touches the wall, but less than half way up.

I think its all ok now

that is such a cute little bluey. are bluey's quick? I assume they'd eat woodies and crickets like most other lizards

Sdaji, the information problem is pretty much standard for all animals sold in petshops whetehr they're dogs and cats, fish, birds etc. SOmetimes people either really have no idea ofr they just talk ****. removing animals from petshops isnt going to solve this problem either because there are breeders out there just as dopey

They are basically pretty slow, but they seem to be able to put on short bursts of speed when they want to. My little one likes crix, but I have to slow them down a bit for him. As for woodies, I havent tried them yet :)

I think youre right about that though Soul, youre gonna get dopey info no matter who you ask. Personally I found it very frustrating that I knew much more than most pet shops when I was doing my research.

Awesome, let's put lizards in pet shops and sell them to people, telling them that they have legs too weak to climb a rock wall.

That enclosure isn't going to contain a Blue-tongued Lizard for long. You need a lid for the tank, or you need to get a new enclosure. The pet shop owner deserves... well... let's not go there.

He is a lovely little lizard, please take good care of him and don't trust the shop owner any more.
very wise words.

Yeah they definately climb, and quite well too:D

Buddah one of mine, was constantly sitting on top of the fake rock background in his enclosure. Rather than try and make it climb proof i put a stick going up to the corner and attached some shade net for a "hammock":) He now gets up there every day at some stage...
Ben

Attachments

• spiderlizard.JPG
    spiderlizard.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 35
pet shops

i'd just like to say i own a pet shop and think people put too much blame in the pet shops. i'm sure there are bad shops out there but many of us try very hard to help out customers and beleive it or not we are actually animal lovers. i don't claim to know everything and is why is use sites, and read all i can. we should all learn new things everyday, learning never ends. if i don't know something i will tell my customer i don't but will do my best to find the answer.
often it's the customers who are at fault. not so in this particular case, but i often suggest what people should and shouldn't do and you try and tell them what they done wrong to lead to a problem and they just don't want to hear it and think their way is right. and if for some reason an animals has died it was obviously in poor condition when they bought it, no one can take responsibility and see what has been done wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back