Odd Scales On A Bluey

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggster

Reaction score
IMG_6867.JPG
Got home from the show today to find my Bluey with some odd scales on his head.
Clearly painful to touch. Had lots of moist substrate (Kritter Krumble) on the area. Brush it off to find these scales- looks like the normal scales are peeling off (not shedding).
He's got a smaller patch of these just between his eyes.
Was fine yesterday. Still eating well.

Only real difference is that he hasn't had his light for the last week. Baby blue tongues light blew out, and baby is much more delicate that this big girl, so I decided to give baby the light (heat + uva +uvb).
Room temp is about 25, drops to 22ish at night, so not dreadfully cold + older lizard is going to be cooled/brumated this year.

Any ideas?
Ill probably wash it out then put some antibiotic on top of it.

Looks almost like a burn, is there any way she could've come into contact with the light or heat source?

Looks almost like a burn, is there any way she could've come into contact with the light or heat source?

Not unless she can fly!
And as ive mentioned, the heat source has been taken away for almost a week.
And even when it was in there, it's a good 2 foot above her head, on the other side of the mesh lid

I thought she might have scratched herself somewhere, but there isn't really anything in there that would scratch just the top of the head like that

Not unless she can fly!
And as ive mentioned, the heat source has been taken away for almost a week.
And even when it was in there, it's a good 2 foot above her head, on the other side of the mesh lid

I thought she might have scratched herself somewhere, but there isn't really anything in there that would scratch just the top of the head like that

What a sight that would be lol
I honestly have no clue then, maybe a picture of the enclosure would help us out, because im pretty stumped.

What a sight that would be lol
I honestly have no clue then, maybe a picture of the enclosure would help us out, because im pretty stumped.

Just had a closer look to see if I could puzzle it out.
I think I've caught our suspect- the edge under the hide is very rough and sharp in some areas, and since this big old girl loves burying herself under her substrate and hide, I think she might have scraped her head on the rough edge. Would explain the jagged appearance of the wound.
I've put a bit of tape on the edge of the bottom of the hide so it's not so sharp/rough.

Lizard has been cleaned up and had some antibiotic on the wound. Very huffy, but otherwise seems fine!

I agree with Stompsy. Tape could very easily come away and stick to the bluey. Can you file the sharp the edge(s) down to smooth it off?

I agree with Stompsy. Tape could very easily come away and stick to the bluey. Can you file the sharp the edge(s) down to smooth it off?

It's not normal sticky tape. Strong stuff that has a fabric based outside. Sticks extremely well to plastics/wood/fibreglass but not at all sticky on human/reptile skin.

I will be keeping a close eye on it of course.

I'm not sure if filing will do any good, and it is a very permanent fix- don't want to mess it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back