Oddest Problem With My Blu-Ray Player...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
I don't know if it's actually the player itself or the optical cable (not HDMI) that connects it to the flat screen...

Anyway it seems to happen more with Blu-Rays than normal dvds but when I'm watching a movie, the screen keeps going black for several seconds but the audio still goes. The weirdest thing is the black-outs only happen during action scenes & never during the "duller" moments when characters are just talking to each other...
It's like watching a badly censored/edited movie.

Can anyone with expertise tell me whether it's the player or cable connection that might need changing. The player's less than a year old, a cheapie & the optical cable is over 7 yrs old.

Cheers.

Ok I'm gonna have to double check the connection... but any idea if it's the unit or the cable that might need replacing?

If you are using an RCA cable I'd expect the data transfer is too slow since the high action scenes use a huge amount of data transfer. First place to start would be upgrading to a hdmi cable.

Ok-cheers.
Seriously I thought I was going crazy...dramas & comedies no prob. The moment I watch action, all the good bits back out.

You get picture through an optical
cable?
I think that the OP is talking about the fibre optical connection and not RCA. I think that the optical connection can be used for picture or sound . I would imagine that the problem may be with the TV and not the player or connection and something similar to what Snowman is saying about not being able to keep up with the large volume of data.

Edit. Sorry Snowman you are right about the optical connection only being for sound.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 6.13.13 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 6.13.13 PM.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
optical cable is for sound. just get a hdmi cable, they're cheap.

use the hdmi from the player to the tv, and the optical from the player to your hifi receiver. it's better to separate the sound and picture so not much load on the hdmi cable.

Yeah I'll re-check the cable/s connection tonight.

A question I forgot to ask was, Why happen now & not from the very start?

Didn't realise it used to work okay. Could be the player. Cheapest option is to get a hdmi cable first though. Cheap as chips on eBay.

I get mine from a place called Jaycar over here in Brisbane. Not sure where the OP is based [MENTION=33719]Cypher69[/MENTION] or where else they have Jaycar shops.

Sorry about the confusion regarding HDMI cable...YES, the blu-ray HAS always been connected to the tv via HDMI. The optical cable was from a previous tv set-up.
So I replaced the HDMI cable with another one...
I watched Elysium on Blu-ray, same problem with screen blacking out during action sequences.
I took the blu-ray back & re-hired the same movie on dvd....no blacking out, no problem.
Looks like I'm getting myself a blu-ray player for xmas.

Nah don't have internet at home but usually Blu-rays already have updates on them that download prior to the feature.
It's a cheap blu-ray player so I think I got my money's worth & need to buy another one.

I use my ps3 as a media center. Just rip my movies to mkv, use ps3media and watch away.

I'm hoping Sony gives in to the whole DNLA thing and patches in the ability to stream music and movies to the ps4. I'd love to not have my ps3 sitting on top of the 4.

HDMI cables are super cheap. I saw them new on Amazon for $0.01. A penny lol with $2 shipping. Shouldn't be that much more for y'all.

You can grab a cheap Sony blu-ray player for like $50. Unless you want some super duper player.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I use my ps3 as a media center. Just rip my movies to mkv, use ps3media and watch away.

I'm hoping Sony gives in to the whole DNLA thing and patches in the ability to stream music and movies to the ps4. I'd love to not have my ps3 sitting on top of the 4.

From what I've read they're working on it. I use my PS3 + MyMedia to stream everything and I was surprised they don't have the ability to do that on PS4. It'll only take a software update to fix it though.

My 2 cents:

In my recent info gathering for tvs, I came across a phenominum relating to the frequency or hertz that a flat tv runs on.
Cheaper tvs have lower hertz for running and the trouble is these bluerays and some video games, need tvs that have faster processing speeds to cope with the info coming into them, and I think this "too much info" is spacing out your tv causing it to go into blackouts.
I also read this blacking out is common when busy action scenes happen both in videogames and dvds, due to the extra data needing to be processed.

the only solution may be to look at tvs with higher processing speeds......or watch dull non action crap, like princess diaries.... ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back