Odds of rsp's for sale at sydney expo next year?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin what if they have a website to show there animals off as they have pride in there collection and want to share. Does this mean im doggy because i have a website.

not at all ryan.. I consider you a well known and respected keeper and breeder and would have no problems buying from you myself. your known on here and in the hobby and thats the difference between people that are known with good reputations and someone who no one really knows.

thats what I meant and hope its clearer. no offence to anyone with websites or singling anyone out. my apologies if I came across that way.

Colin what if they have a website to show there animals off as they have pride in there collection and want to share. Does this mean im doggy because i have a website.

Doggy? ;-)

The original poster was looking for a cheap rsp & how far off topic is this getting..lol quality can be cheap!

I have sold at expo's. My animals are top notch as far as I am concerned.My animals are healthy, robust and when sold are feeding like little champs. There are people you buy from at expo's and there are people at expo's that you avoid. I personally would not buy from someone who has about 5 adult lizards stuffed into a 7 litre plastic container....JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a bit lost as to how RSP prices got so low so fast, there still not all that common, I personally only know 2 RSP breeders and I see a for sale ad very rarely, 90% of people that come through my place, have never herd of them before and are completely blown away when they see mine.

I bought one last year, on special for $900 (down from $1200), only a couple of months ago, I was seeing them for $750 each on average and now I'm hearing people are selling them for $350 - $500. What's going on?

Every time this topic comes up, I'm always told the prices are so low because of supply and demand, there is apparently more people breeding them then people are buying, but how is that the case, when I only rarely see an ad for them and from all the breeders that I know personally, only 2 of them breed RSP's?

Are they so cheap because breeders are seeing someone else selling them a bit cheaper, so they now have to out do that persons price to make sure there's sell, then another breeder see's the last persons cheap price and has to out do it as well? then it's just a never ending cycle of the next person trying to out do the last person.

I've had quite a number of people come to my house, ask how much a particular reptile is, hear the price I'm selling it for, then tell me there's no way there paying that price, because they saw a guy online selling it cheaper. So now they've seen it cheaper, there not going to pay anything more then that price, and for all I know, that guy selling them cheaper, is just someone that bred them by accident and wouldn't care if he got $10 for them.

I think The price drop as well is due to them being on a Class 2 licence in NSW

If they were on the Class 1 licence in NSW there would be much more demand for them IMO.

I bought one last year, on special for $900 (down from $1200), only a couple of months ago, I was seeing them for $750 each on average and now I'm hearing people are selling them for $350 - $500. What's going on?

Every time this topic comes up, I'm always told the prices are so low because of supply and demand, there is apparently more people breeding them then people are buying, but how is that the case, when I only rarely see an ad for them and from all the breeders that I know personally, only 2 of them breed RSP's?

Are they so cheap because breeders are seeing someone else selling them a bit cheaper, so they now have to out do that persons price to make sure there's sell, then another breeder see's the last persons cheap price and has to out do it as well? then it's just a never ending cycle of the next person trying to out do the last person.

I've had quite a number of people come to my house, ask how much a particular reptile is, hear the price I'm selling it for, then tell me there's no way there paying that price, because they saw a guy online selling it cheaper. So now they've seen it cheaper, there not going to pay anything more then that price, and for all I know, that guy selling them cheaper, is just someone that bred them by accident and wouldn't care if he got $10 for them.

I think the problem,not just roughies, is that hobbyists have been conditioned to expect to see falling prices.While cheaper prices in general is a good thing it will very likely come back and bite the hobby on the bum.People want top quality great looking animals but it costs a lot of money to develop those lines.Electricity prices along with food prices have risen out of sight in the last couple of years so breeders are scaling back or getting out altogether as it soon becomes unviable due to ever increasing overheads.

Sure reptiles will still be available at cheap prices but a lot will be as they are now,the result of an ordinary pair that Joe Blogs decided just to throw together.The result being a lot of ordinary/average animals for sale.

I am even getting people asking for discounts on animals that I have up for $100 each.

Edit: I dont think it's to do with them being on class 2 as womas got dropped to class 1 not long ago yet prices still dropped.

Thats why i joined APS to get to know the reptile community and personally get to know honest top breeders who know what there talking about and that I can personally get to know and trust and learn the right way of doing things in this hobby/field, get feed back and take all the necessary step possible, this also applies for "learn from the best and become the best at what u do"!!!!

I think the price drop may have something to do with popularity... even with Vic opening up to them the price continues to slide. Guess people are now getting over the "novelty"? They are a fantastic looking creatures but in all honesty there's not much variation in their "looks", so with this hobby heading towards a bigger, brighter, more variations mentality, roughies maybe falling on the wayside.

thanks for all the discussion guys, has been really informative. i too joined for the same reason mo-devil, and as colin said, with the spread of disease out there at the moment we really have to be careful who we buy from, and threads like this can remind of us of. as it just so happens, we still aren't able to get out class two licence for another year (doh!" as i thought it was after the one year of having class one) we had our licences about 10 years back but that doesn't count apaprently.

so when the time comes and we finally have our class 2 in our hot little hands, i will be in contact with a breeder who has been recommended by a few members on here. :)

The less you know in this hobby (or the less the hobby knows you) the better, far too much politics... especially once money gets involved.

To be 'the best' you don't need to put yourself out there, there is no way to fast track it. Just do what you're going to do ethically and stick to it.

Thats why i joined APS to get to know the reptile community and personally get to know honest top breeders who know what there talking about and that I can personally get to know and trust and learn the right way of doing things in this hobby/field, get feed back and take all the necessary step possible, this also applies for "learn from the best and become the best at what u do"!!!!

The less you know in this hobby (or the less the hobby knows you) the better, far too much politics... especially once money gets involved.

To be 'the best' you don't need to put yourself out there, there is no way to fast track it. Just do what you're going to do ethically and stick to it.

I agree, but you still need to learn from other and understand how things work and get a few tips from people who have experience in anything (i know what you mean about the politics i'v learn't that too) and you take from what you learn then you do what is ethically right, but you have to ask questions.

For your first rsp why not get one just straight from the source. snakeranch (john wegiel). Got my boy from there & happy as a pig in u know what! He's two yrs old now.

That is a fallacy. There is nothing you can't learn from a good book now.

I agree, but you still need to learn from other and understand how things work and get a few tips from people who have experience in anything (i know what you mean about the politics i'v learn't that too) and you take from what you learn then you do what is ethically right, but you have to ask questions.

Like in any market, there are top quality products, there is some thrash and there is a lot in between. The sad thing is, some people take the lowest price as a benchmark - it is not!

I'm still a bit lost as to how RSP prices got so low so fast, there still not all that common, I personally only know 2 RSP breeders and I see a for sale ad very rarely, 90% of people that come through my place, have never herd of them before and are completely blown away when they see mine.

At the end of the day they are a brown morelia, only the hardcore keepers are going to appreciate them for what they really are. Most of the newbies that have come into the hobby want the brightest python or the one that is best to cuddle up to while watching TV, hence the relative demand is reasonably low and thus the sliding price.

They may be just "brown" but so are antaresia!! and they're very popular.. RSP's are awesome pythons and I'd have one of these anyday over a lot of other choices.. Since we started with such a small number of core animals (5 maybe I think John had) I'm thinking that before long someone will through a true mutation whether an albino RSP or something else (not crosses) and the interest in these pythons will again go through the roof as it always does with something different..

I think the small initial gene pool makes mutants turning up less likely.

I with Grim I think the chances of a mutation coming out are very low, if there were any hets in the initial founding population the homozygous form would have shown itself by now. The only real chance of something poping up is a brand new mutation such as what happened with the Jags and I wouldn't like to hold my breath on that happening anytime soon. Despite that I think they are fascinating and will be adding them to the collection soon.

maybe so.. Im just looking back to when I used to breed parrots and inbreeding with a limited gene pool seemed to bring out mutations. I didnt mean there might be possible hets for whatever amongst the initial founding stock just that with the limited gene pool and inbreeding over a few generations there could be something different pop out randomly..
I can hope anyway :D a true albino RSP would look pretty hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back