Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Peter Kruass (?) has been the only person in Oz to breed them, then they were confiscated off him and given to the TWP.

Thanks for confirming that Austrelaps.
Damn shame :cry: Such a beautiful animal.

It just confirms that they're extremely sensitive to stress and therefore handling should be kept to an absolute minimum.

Thanks Dicco for the translation.
I hope Territory Wildlife Park learns from this & doesn't let any more Oenpelli's suffer the same fate.
They only have a few from what I've heard.

Jason, why the hell did they take Peter's Oenpellis of him if he was having success with them? :?

:roll:
Probably the same "reason" that they took GTP's of herpers that were having good success breeding them! :evil:

Zen,- because i belive they were clasified as tanted fauna.

I assume you mean tainted fauna TrueBlue, but what could possibly be tainted about them? :?

youd have to ask the parties involed about that one.

That particular animal died from a respiratory ailment, related probably to stress of travel, too much handling, and also the fact that while it was in Sydney I'm told it was kept unheated at night in the Blue Mountains where the keeper responsible for the whole exercise (ha!) was staying. Fairly common knowledge in the Territory, someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Crikey! :shock: It's no wonder then.
The Blue Mountains gets pretty cool at night depending on what time of year & how high up the mountains it was kept.
A tropical python like an Oenpelli would surely need artificial warmth when kept in the Blue Mountains.

Thanks TrueBlue.

apparently the reason behind the animals being taken off Krauss is because the territory gov, didn't like the fact that he bred them before the parks did, but also main because he alledgely didn't have their ok to take them from the territory across to Qld. as to the animal from the expo, it stayed in the mountains but was well looked after by the keepers involved. all their husbandry needs were fully met. i suggest members be very careful about what they say about certain keepers, particularly when they don't know what they are talking about....

The TWP is very close to aquiring a breeding population of Oenpelli Python and it will not long before they will be available.

They want to establish the basis for commercial harvesting by traditional landowners.

Just to help clear a couple of things up, that particular oenpelli was not out for show and was not being handled by anyone. I just happned to be talking to Marshall Black at the time he was packing up and offered "assistance" in getting the oenpelli out of it's enclosure as long as I could get a photo, which he kindly obliged. The animal was only on me for a matter of minutes before it was put into a bag for the trip back home to TWP. That animal was also believed to be over 15yrs old and may have just died from old age.....who knows??

I did get a little excited though and give it a big hug....;-):D:lol:

Thanks guys for enlightening the story with the facts.
Sounds like it was well cared for and not handled excessively.

Travel, no matter how much care is taken, is stressful on reptiles, especially on a species as sensitive as an Oenpelli Python.

Thanks for clearing the record Hugsta, I'm sure you handled it sensitivity and I never thought for a minute that you would have been anything but gentle.
It also sounds like it was in good hands.
The thing is though, they're a hypersensitive snake.
I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back