Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have heard they DO occur on the NT side of the river. I was speaking to Casey Lazik who told me he found one at the Ubirr escarpment many years ago. I had a look around the area when I was there a few years later but I found nothing, but then again I have terrible luck with such things.

The habitat and escarpments extend across the river , outside arnhemland so there is no reason the should not be there.

You will have them eventually.

Nick

From what I have heard they DO occur on the NT side of the river. I was speaking to Casey Lazik who told me he found one at the Ubirr escarpment many years ago. I had a look around the area when I was there a few years later but I found nothing, but then again I have terrible luck with such things.

The habitat and escarpments extend across the river , outside arnhemland so there is no reason the should not be there.

Nick

So if Casey Lazik hs seen them they're obviously in US collections too then!

a massive one was recorded by a friend of mine i wont tell you where but it was found during a spotted quol radio tracking exercise the quoll was inside it lol.

a massive one was recorded by a friend of mine i wont tell you where but it was found during a spotted quol radio tracking exercise the quoll was inside it lol.

Damb, they should of changed their study, the information might have been well worth it ;)

There are none outside of Australia. If there were I would have heard about it. I have a lot of very good contacts and I have even asked specifically about them.

There are none now and it appears there never have been any outside Australia.

There have been rumors at times but they never checkout, There have been people who have had pics on their websites wich sparked rumors but the pics were always of the Krauss animals.

Believe me , Australian keepers will have them before the rest of the world will.

When they are being captive bred in Australia in decent numbers then perhaps some will magically appear outside the country

Nick

There are none outside of Australia. If there were I would have heard about it. I have a lot of very good contacts and I have even asked specifically about them.

There are none now and it appears there never have been any outside Australia.

There have been rumors at times but they never checkout, There have been people who have had pics on their websites wich sparked rumors but the pics were always of the Krauss animals.

Believe me , Australian keepers will have them before the rest of the world will.

When they are being captive bred in Australia in decent numbers then perhaps some will magically appear outside the country

Nick
i hate to be a sceptic but they are very easy to get hold of in the wild as they aint exactly rare or elusive so they are probably already in aus collections and in america.
if there is money to be made which there is, it has probably been done.

i hate to be a sceptic but they are very easy to get hold of in the wild as they aint exactly rare or elusive so they are probably already in aus collections and in america.
if there is money to be made which there is, it has probably been done.

and if casey lazik has been here looking for them............

Casey didnt bring any out, it was well over a decade ago and if he had we surely would have seen them before now. I believe he told me he only saw one. Having visited him and seen his collection at the time, I can definatley say there were no oenpelli pythons there.

I wish there were some here, but believe me there is not. It would be very hard to explain where they came from if and when they ever did show up.

Nick

I live in Oenpelli and have seen 1. it used to live in a blokes carport it was about 4m long but it died a year ago. I have spoken to a local ranger about getting a permit to take from the wild to breed for conservation, but he said many of people have tried but were rejected. I will try on tuesday and let you know how it goes If it works I need to build a big enclosure. I know the Indigenous owners and can get permission to have one easy as, but it's up to parks and wildlife. I was given this baby water python (my avtar) and a file snake by a traditional land owner and parks would not let me keep it. But I do have a permit to keep and care for injured reptiles so I am hoping that a Oenpelli python might come my way

Nick

What do you mean the NT side of the river?, I think you mean the Kakadu side of the East Alligator River. And just because it is called a Oenpelli python Doesn't mean it is only exclusive to Oenpelli. Ubirr is a perfect breeding place for these guy's they are a rock python.

Thats exactly what I meant. I visited the area a couple years ago, visited Ubirr and took a boat down the river for a little while. Beautiful area, of course I couldt find any snakes but I was with my wife and could not spend much time looking

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back