Of idiots and marvels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Had a run in over last few days with a woman screaming about animal exploitation every time she saw us

Finally got her to shut up for a moment and stay with me for the day
Took to the rehab/holding/rescue place and we took 5 snakes out to jungle for release
Did 2 relocates of pythons and she loved every minute of it and changed her views a bit I think
Then got phone call about a snake at the beach
Seems some kids caught a 3 metre retic about a week ago
Kept it in a bag inside an esky at the beach in Seminyak
No water and possibly overheated often

Now I cannot buy snakes from locals or else my phone will never stop ringing
So when they ask for money I refuse and start walking away
She demands that I buy it
I tell her that saving that one by buying it for release may mean I cant save another 25 because each snake costs us $2 to relocate and they wanted $50 for it
She demands I haggle over price so eventually I get them down to $15
She demands I buy it so I say ok give me the money
Great animal lover that she is she says 'Im not paying $15 to save a bloody snake"

I left her there to walk home

Please god save me from any more idiots

I walked 100 metres and brought 4 tourists back to see the snake
They all dipped in and bought it
It looks dehydrated and has lost a lot of scales put should be ok
Hasnt budged from our bath for 18 hours but looking better and pretty fiesty

Marvels are a lovely honeymoon couple we took for a walk last night
Wasnt the best night as for some reason the snakes didnt want to play much
Only saw about 8 but saw lots of other things and she got the chance to hold a nice red tailed racer
When we dropped them off she handed me some money and I left
This morning put money away and found there was far too much there
They leave today back to Melbourne so frantic dash to find them
She says "I bet my husband you would try to find us, it was a tip for a great night"

there are some good people in this world... tho they are rare and getting hard to find. Hope the Reticulated gets better soon

Shinta wont go near that bathroom now because it has a go every time she opens the door yet its pretty calm with me
My only worry about it is the number of loose scales its dropping
But even thats probably stress related so may not even try to feed it
Just make sure its ok and let it go somewhere safe

knowing bali like i do i totally agree with your view on not paying for snakes before you know it they'll be catching them when they don't need to and trying to sell them to you

Shinta wont go near that bathroom now because it has a go every time she opens the door yet its pretty calm with me
My only worry about it is the number of loose scales its dropping
But even thats probably stress related so may not even try to feed it
Just make sure its ok and let it go somewhere safe

Hi Longqi when the scales come off...like I know there is skin underneath....but is it white ? can you see where the scales were...and how do the scales grow back ? Have you got any pics of this....I do hope it isnt something I ever see in real life....as it sounds really awful

Hi Longqi when the scales come off...like I know there is skin underneath....but is it white ? can you see where the scales were...and how do the scales grow back ? Have you got any pics of this....I do hope it isnt something I ever see in real life....as it sounds really awful

Its actually quite strange and not that awful to see
It looks like a thin veneer/layer has dropped off and the skin of the snake does not appear to be damaged
Retic is still in the bathroom but out of the water now
maybe 200 scale flakes were in the bath
I have seen really sick/malnourished snakes lose scales but this one is in pretty good condition and muscle tone is fine
Possibly they could be from its last shed??

As it is active and co-ordinated I will probably release it next tour night

There is a little retic called Fragrant Flower in a village in Central Java

About half a 10 litre bucket for her

Great story and fingers crossed for a happy ending. I would love to come and spend time there as money better spent than sight seeing, maybe you should start a volunteering position there for people to come over :)

Longqi If hunny and I ever come to Bali we are definitely going to come and visit you...and promise we will be marvels !!!

Hooray for honeymoon couple!

Tell peeps like the woman for animals to join peta and take their clothes off.
Glad you left her there.

Great story and fingers crossed for a happy ending. I would love to come and spend time there as money better spent than sight seeing, maybe you should start a volunteering position there for people to come over :)

We are the only free overseas wildlife volunteer group that I know of
Costs nothing to stay here and help out as needed
Can be a great way to see the real Indonesia
Even doing a trip to Papua for a reptile survey and to set up some things in villages there in September/October
You only have to pay your flights minimal accommodation and food

Have a google
Worth a quick look

Darlyn
Shes a cow but been in Bali a long time
Told me she would cause problems and knows the local paper well
First thing when I got home I rang them and did an interview about it with a couple of witnesses
2 hours later she contacted them with a complete fabrication but they rang me and said they will do a support story on us instead
WIN WIN WIN

Will definately contact your for my next trip as sounds and looks great, thanks :)

We are the only free overseas wildlife volunteer group that I know of
Costs nothing to stay here and help out as needed
Can be a great way to see the real Indonesia
Even doing a trip to Papua for a reptile survey and to set up some things in villages there in September/October
You only have to pay your flights minimal accommodation and food

One day, Longqi. One day.

Hali Hail the idiots are back in town

I have been called to one impressive villa 5 times now
Owned by a very rich woman who is way past her use by date but pretends otherwise
Villa is 1 1/2 hour bike ride away

She has lost 2 dogs and 1 cat to Cobras
Also paid about $800 vet bill
Front yard is manicured perfection with zero places for snakes
That back area is about 1/2 acre
Absolute paradise for spitters and virtually impossible to safely remove vens from
It is a nightmare of piles of palm fronds timber and masonry rubbish that she calls art
12 different types of bamboo etc etc all badly overgrown
Loads of water features too so plenty of frogs

She knows our snake removal is free and has never offered even 1 cent to pay for fuel
So far 17 snakes of various types including 4 spitters and 1 king plus 5 vipers

Told her no more visits unless she cleans the back yard up as its simply too bloody dangerous in there
Her gardener had 2 dry bites so he is running scared and I dont blame him

I offered to bring out 2 other guys with me to supervise the clearing and remove the snakes if she made a donation of $100 to Bali reptile rescue
Flatly refused

She hired 2 new gardeners and one got hit 2 days ago
Still in Intensive care but Shinta visited him today and hes doing ok
Her hospital bill is over $3000 so far and no mention of the intensive care ambulance fee yet

Wants me back and offered $50
So I simply said
"Get a bloody bulldozer first"

You're not a Budhist by any chance are you longqi? Most others would be beating some sense into these twits by now. Your patience is to be admired.

Goodonya Longqi. We'll be back over later in the year and will sign up for what's going. You are a seriously good bloke mate. Big respect to you!

I really did want to beat some sense into her
But hopefully she will come to her senses when she gets the hospital bill
Her yard would have be the nastiest snake trap Ive ever walked into
She is still adamant they come from the grass next door
But bamboo is by far their preferred home and I even showed her old eggs from last year
Most of the other snakes are ptyas mucosus or rat snakes with a few sunbeam snakes
King cobras love them and the back slopes down beautifully as an open invitation for a big female king to nest there next wet season
Not often I back out of a chance to play with slitherers
But this joint is straight out nasty with far too much cover to risk any other volunteers
and far to dangerous to attempt alone because cobras at ground level and vipers just above you is a bit tricky at times
A few APS members have met Rohman
Hes our best cobra handler by far and even he doesnt want a bar of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back