Offensive avatars

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
very uncalled for nelly and i take full offence to it ,, you wont be making my buddy list.,,...that should get you a warning at least ,,, flashing avatars are a health hazard and are band in most work places......why is her avatar still active and mine gets deleted ... i find the flashing spider VERY OFFENCEVE is anyone that matters listing???

very uncalled for nelly and i take full offence to it ,, you wont be making my buddy list.,,...that should get you a warning at least ,,, flashing avatars are a health hazard and are band in most work places......why is her avatar still active and mine gets deleted ... i find the flashing spider VERY OFFENCEVE is anyone that matters listing???

I think before u are accepted as a member u should at least be able to spell words like "OFFENCEVE", "LISTING" and "BAND".......:lol::rolleyes::lol:

Agreed Imbuc, very uncalled for comments that are offensive and discriminatory.........

I have a daughter that is epileptic and flashing/ strobing like that is a huge danger..... Grow up Nelly.

Last edited:
Earthling said:
Sooooo..how did you find this wonderful piece of helpfull information out Nelly? Read it in a book? Read it on the interent? Experimented with the keys on your keyboard? Which ever way you learnt that, someone did it for YOU!
Someone wrote the book, someone wrote it up on the internet or someone even made the program so you could 'find it'.
Learn to help themselves you say? Im all for people assisting others and people asking for assistance. Keeps society learning from each other...progressing. When people are condemned for asking things on this fractured piece of a communication device called the internet, the world really has gone the dick.

The point being that the forums get clogged up with nothing but uesless threads. How many times do people have to jump on here and make a post "Please help... URGENT!" because their brand new hatchling hasn't eaten in 3 days. Exercise some initiative and use the "Search" facility... and if the answer isn't explicitly related to the forum that you're currently on... Google is your friend. It's not rocket science.

Imbuc said:

I suppose I'm also off your Christmas card list? Ho-hum...

Earthling, No-one asked how to disable avatars. They asked why flashing avatars are not banned from this site.
If you're using Firefox or IE (Internet Explorer) just wait till the page loads and then press the "Escape" key (it's the one at the top left of your keyboard that says "Esc"). MAGIC!!!
Alternatively you can go to the edit options section in your profile and select disable avatars in the thread display options.

Last edited:
Geez, I thought another forum I was on was biatchy, but this one really has take over by a mile.:shock:

Perhaps its because of the immature 12yo's comments, or boys trying to be impressive.........bit sad really that people can be so offensive about something that is a serious medical condition (epilepsy). :?

if the flashing avatars are banned everywhere else, why not here? if it's an actual health hazard then why hasn't anybody fixed it yet?
as for bouncing so-and-so's, the older male members feeble hearts may have to pump an extra two times, but not a health hazard is it?

The heading of the topic that I posted under states and I quote:

"Place to ask questions, request technical support and make suggestions about our site."

I think my comments / questions fit squarely under that topic and it does not surprise me this has been posted on before because it is obviously valid and nothing has been done about it to date.

Nelly, your suggestion regarding the ESC key is a good one and ADZO yours is also useful, I was not aware of that option so thank you both.

Nelly, it was not the bit about helping ourselves that I took offense to, it was the rest of the paragraph that I note has now been deleted from your post.

The point being that the forums get clogged up with nothing but uesless threads. How many times do people have to jump on here and make a post "Please help... URGENT!" because their brand new hatchling hasn't eaten in 3 days. Exercise some initiative and use the "Search" facility... and if the answer isn't explicitly related to the forum that you're currently on... Google is your friend. It's not rocket science.
For sure...to you, they may be useless threads. To others it answers a question they have.
Searching APS and google warranted, are not used enough by many people, however, rather then think they are wasting my time and that they are lacking in initiative, I think perhaps they have done the best they know and have gone on to asking someone.
Everybody has a different skill base (including internet/computer knowledge), just because their skill base does not match yours, does not mean they are purposely going out of their way to clog up the internet.
The Internet is for all, not just for those few who put in the time to learn to use it most efficiently. People have different priorities in our lives (Thank us, thats what makes us all 'somewhat' different), some people dedicate time learning the internet/computers, some people dedicate time learning Tai-Chi...Is either individual a lessor person when they enter the others skill domain? Should either person be shown less respect?

if the flashing avatars are banned everywhere else, why not here? if it's an actual health hazard then why hasn't anybody fixed it yet?
as for bouncing so-and-so's, the older male members feeble hearts may have to pump an extra two times, but not a health hazard is it?

Which is why the bigger browser companies (like those previously mentioned) have implemented the ability to stop animated gif's rolling over continuously. It pauses them at one frame at the instance of pressing the "Escape" key. Anybody suffering from epilepsy should be well aware of this fact if it is a serious health risk. A 100 x 100 gif is hardly enough to induce an epileptic episode... but for good measure they can still control it.

It's poor form from an accessibility stand-point to have continuously looping gif's on any website (not to mention that annoying marquee text that scrolls across the page). Users need to have full control of any animation that occurs on the client side (your browser).

I'd be all for banning animated gif's on this site... but for heaven's sake (sorry Earthling, I don't want to start another debate about higher beings) there are some serious whingers around. I'd better not make any jokes about AIDS, cancer or the Iraq war for fear of stepping on people's precious little toes.

In summation, ban animated gif's if it will make people happier, but think of those you'll be making upset and the hours of entertainment the kiddies will miss out on from watching a girl's norks bounce up and down.

I would hope you wouldnt be making jokes about Aids, or cancer. :rolleyes:

Certainly no fun watching someone you love die from lung cancer, I can tell you first hand about that.

Why must some people feed the need to make jokes about lifes miseries?

Im all for a laugh, just not at other peoples expense. :p

Which is why the bigger browser companies (like those previously mentioned) have implemented the ability to stop animated gif's rolling over continuously. It pauses them at one frame at the instance of pressing the "Escape" key. Anybody suffering from epilepsy should be well aware of this fact if it is a serious health risk. A 100 x 100 gif is hardly enough to induce an epileptic episode... but for good measure they can still control it.

It's poor form from an accessibility stand-point to have continuously looping gif's on any website (not to mention that annoying marquee text that scrolls across the page). Users need to have full control of any animation that occurs on the client side (your browser).

I'd be all for banning animated gif's on this site... but for heaven's sake (sorry Earthling, I don't want to start another debate about higher beings) there are some serious whingers around. I'd better not make any jokes about AIDS, cancer or the Iraq war for fear of stepping on people's precious little toes.

In summation, ban animated gif's if it will make people happier, but think of those you'll be making upset and the hours of entertainment the kiddies will miss out on from watching a girl's norks bounce up and down.

Do a google on epilepsy Nelly.......its not a choice and not a nice thing for anyone, I only hope that you never end up with any of the above.......

I am not a fan of that particular avatar either. I generally skip over any comments made by the owner. No offense meant, cos it is an attractive avatar ,but the flashing really is hard to deal with. I throw out the challenge for the owner to come up with something else, which is just as attractive but WITHOUT the flashing.
PS Well said venus. Medical conditions are not chosen and those who suffer them should not be made fun of. That is not humour IMO.

No offense meant, cos it is an attractive avatar ,but the flashing really is hard to deal with. I throw out the challenge for the owner to come up with something else, which is just as attractive but WITHOUT the flashing.

As has been said many a time already in response to this, if you have a problem hit escape key, people shouldn't have to change their avatar because the minority don't like it. This is the internet people don't use it thinking everything going to be to your liking and if it isn't you can change it...

In the words of Slatey "if you don't like it go elsewhere":)

Ben

What an interesting thread.

I'm mean where else but APS can you learn that girls have norks?

I too hope Nelly doesn't start making jokes about Aids and Cancer. Very poor taste there Nelly.

Now ban animated gifs? How would we see such stories as the fly?

http://www.isk67.com/fly/

IsK - off to learn more about norks.

Yep, because those three things are particularily humourous.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back