Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyInBris

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone would just like to start with what a fantastic and informative site and forum you have.

Anyway I just though I should drop a line yesterday I went for a drive up the coast from Brisbane to buy a saw actually he is one of your sponsors a quick chat and a question or two and he showed me his Pythons well I think they were pythons its a small world some months ago I pointed another guy your way that wanted to get a python and you helped him out and by all reports all is going well and something I have always wanted to do.

For some years I have been into marine fish well up until the last flood that is as I lost everything approx 2k work as well as some breeders that had only just started to look promising, so we lost power and I couldn't keep the tank cool I tried everything I even place a frozen leg of lamb in a couple of bags and was putting it in the tank to drop the temp but I just couldn't control it and the last few I euthanized (not sure on the spelling of that word) and then that night power came back on, you cant win all the time we were lucky we didn't get flooded and since then I have sold my big tank and equipment.

So after the 1.5hr trip back yesterday from up the coast and a long chat to the wife she gave me the go ahead for a or some reptiles not sure what way we are going to go I say WE because I want to make this a family thing that we can all enjoy and i want my son to understand their is more to life then games etc well before he even gets to that stage.

Ok so I am crapping on a bit will try and shut that down lol before I bore you all to death.

Snakes Lizards Geckos sorry if I offend by using those names I get a little :evil: when people would call my fish tropical lol

I think one of the main things for me to think about is cleaning and what to expect I really would like a python the wife is not so sure not against it but will give it a try and I would like to eventually get my litte boy a gecko but then a lizard maybe better as he probably would like to touch it a bit.

I have done lots of reading been though the newbie thread plenty of good info and I need to find some books. from what I understand if you have a juvenile python you need to keep them in a smaller enclosure as they grow then you can go larger I do like big like wall unit big.

I will probably build the enclosures if time persists as some of these cabinets are not above my level of skill at all and I have the required tooling just need to find or make some designs, I like things to be on display not stuck in a corner, wait for some wacky designs in the future :D for you all to comment on will it work or am just being crazy is what I will need to be told.

I guess that's enough of my waffle if you made it this far thankyou!

Oh and sorry about spelling and grammar not exactly my strong suite.

Willy

Welcome.

It's great to have you here and it's cool that you can join for Free, Willy.

YES !

Free Willy not the first time i have heard that lol thanks guys.

hehhe trust me mate I held back on you...

sounds like you've got it all figured out...

I would recommend a beardie for your son as a first pet- lizards a ala blue tongues are pretty messy and boring- whereas a beardie requires no more work and has LOADS of personality and loves human interraction/being handled.

Thanks for that HP so a frilly for him time to do some more reading tonight on them, I guess like snakes they can have different temperaments etc

Well last night I got the wife to look at one of the breeders sites (stupid me) just to see what available and get her involved what do you think she bloody picked out first? so yep a GTP I said honey those come with racing stripes she laughed and said they would look real good on display I then tried to explain that they are apparently not really for newbie's and she said when has that ever (insert dirty word) stopped you.

Next on the list was i think the Albino Darwin following that the BHP she is a funny lady I have, didn't seem real excited but now is calling the shots even tried to give me an idea on a cabinet.

So what's people thoughts I guess the thing is you get a python your kind of stuck with them due to life expectancy so I guess I also don't really want to get something that I am not going to enjoy looking at.

If this should be moved to another part of the forum please tell me or the mods can move it if need be.

Willy

Last edited:
Nice edit excuse ;)

Mate, a beardie is a bearded dragon ! Not a Frilled Neck

As far as a GTP as a first snake I would have to err on the side of NO.

even if you research, have all the right gear and are a great keeper; the reality is this:

- Your wife is now in the action. Which is great; happens to most of us because snakes are so amazing. But as first timers, even as a cluey pair that you sound as though you are- you are going to want to handle it, minimise the elements that can dissuade you from getting into it further- and a GTP is a finnicky animal- they spend ALL their time coiled on a branch in that familiar GTP pose looking pretty, but for the most part (yes I know there are exceptions before all you GTP owners come raining thunder)-

,....FOR THE MOST PART they aren't great handlers, don't like being bothered, and are a fairly boring animal lacking real python character- and character you will come to find beats looking pretty any day of the week; Just like humans.

You want something along the lines of a carpet python that handles well so you get the BEST experience out of your first animal.

So; the deal is- you want looks but you want a noob-friendly python that won't grow too big as a first and doesnt mind cuddles right ?

So- the carpet family is your stomping ground here.

In order below is a list of what I think are the most beautiful carpets- all of these guys would make great first pets; check these guys out for looks if that is your first preference:

-Diamond Python
-Albino Darwin (as you already have)
-Port Macquarie (basically a region-specific diamond python)
-Bredli (best temperaments in carpets I think- they were our first snakes)

Also- Jan/Feb?march is hatching season for most carpets- so if you hold off until Post-Xmas kicks in you will find a HUGE selection available and those Albino Darwins you like the look of should be going for around $500 this season (I paid $3K each a few years ago for a pair)...so they are the best value carpet next to Diamonds in my opinion- there are some AMAZING Diamonds around though- PM me your email and Ill send you some pics...

.... of course being a great handler/cruisy animal isn't a given unless you buy an animal that comes recommended as such from a reputable member/breeder. I'm sure many of us here could help you out with that when you're ready to go just PM someone you like the look of on here.

Last edited:
Nice edit excuse ;)

Mate, a beardie is a bearded dragon ! Not a Frilled Neck

See you learn something everyday dont you :).

As far as a GTP as a first snake I would have to err on the side of NO.

even if you research, have all the right gear and are a great keeper; the reality is this:

- Your wife is now in the action. Which is great; happens to most of us because snakes are so amazing. But as first timers, even as a cluey pair that you sound as though you are- you are going to want to handle it, minimise the elements that can dissuade you from getting into it further- and a GTP is a finnicky animal- they spend ALL their time coiled on a branch in that familiar GTP pose looking pretty, but for the most part (yes I know there are exceptions before all you GTP owners come raining thunder)-

,....FOR THE MOST PART they aren't great handlers, don't like being bothered, and are a fairly boring animal lacking real python character- and character you will come to find beats looking pretty any day of the week; Just like humans.

You want something along the lines of a carpet python that handles well so you get the BEST experience out of your first animal.

Fantastic just what I wanted to hear I also dont think we are ready for one but do I want one well maybe one day in the future but I agree with what your saying and a fair amount of tit bits here and there I am reading say exactly that.
So; the deal is- you want looks but you want a noob-friendly python that won't grow too big as a first and doesnt mind cuddles right ?

Somewhat correct size doesn't really matter to me I am not a small guy myself :D

So- the carpet family is your stomping ground here.

In order below is a list of what I think are the most beautiful carpets- all of these guys would make great first pets; check these guys out for looks if that is your first preference:

-Diamond Python
-Albino Darwin (as you already have)
-Port Macquarie (basically a region-specific diamond python)
-Bredli (best temperaments in carpets I think- they were our first snakes)

Port Macquarie lived in that place for two years we called it port pensioner and met a few snakes that way they just had two legs most of them, thanks for the list it will really help.

Also- Jan/Feb?march is hatching season for most carpets- so if you hold off until Post-Xmas kicks in you will find a HUGE selection available and those Albino Darwins you like the look of should be going for around $500 this season (I paid $3K each a few years ago for a pair)...so they are the best value carpet next to Diamonds in my opinion- there are some AMAZING Diamonds around though- PM me your email and Ill send you some pics...

.... of course being a great handler/cruisy animal isn't a given unless you buy an animal that comes recommended as such from a reputable member/breeder. I'm sure many of us here could help you out with that when you're ready to go just PM someone you like the look of on here.

Sounds good do people have meetings or days when people get together etc in Brisbane.

I have said I have lots to learn I dont take decisions lightly on animals of any type it took two years for us to decided on a certain breed of dog that would suite our lifestyle and our surroundings we will do the same with the pythons take out time and make the best possible decision for us and the python.

I would like to thank you for your honesty and will shoot you a pm with my email address.

Much appreciated.

Willy

Last edited:
No worries Willy Ive emailed you some pics mate. I am in Brissie too so you're welcome to come round and check out our smallish collection and have an up close look. We always purchase pets/cars/toys the same way- only after LOTS of research and debating. It's the only way to make the best choice.

There are a couple of local herp groups that meet up monthly etc.. pretty sure there are details somewhere on this site- I don't go to them personally; too many freaks ;) but that said in purchasing reptiles over the years I have met some amazing people who have become friends or who I have come to rely on for pro advice- you can't go past scleropages, blackdog, or gillsy for advice minus the pretentious holier than thou know-it-all attitude you get from some members. (Hi Gordo:evil:)

And if you need anything else mate; my name, number and contacts are on the sig of the email I sent you. Feel free to get in touch- I am not a pro by any means but I know a little bit and if I can;t answer a query for you then I'llbe able to put you in touch with the RIGHT person who does. I'm in Paddo in Brissie so no doubt it's not too far from you hey.

Talk soon. Enjoy the snake pron I sent ya man.

Tone

they're ALL cuddly.

I need more coffee- I had to read that twice to confirm it didn't say womans !

Hey newbie I think you need to get a animal that you an ur wife are going to be happy with so u don't get bored off it.
Everybody told me not to get a green tree python there are hard to look after u don't like to be handled but that's the ownally python that I have loved an wanted for years. I read the first complete chondro an the second an was a first timer have never owned any other snake I now have four the first was a four month old an did handled it but now I get it out an it doesn't mind being handled like the other ones. I havent have any problems with any of them the vet said they are beautiful heathly snakes if u need any help with one if u choose one I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that will give u info I did not find it hard at all just alot of negativity towards being a first time. Ps by the way with the tropical fish u can get filter that cool ur water use to have them before my greens the green are alot less work

Hey newbie I think you need to get a animal that you an ur wife are going to be happy with so u don't get bored off it.
Everybody told me not to get a green tree python there are hard to look after u don't like to be handled but that's the ownally python that I have loved an wanted for years. I read the first complete chondro an the second an was a first timer have never owned any other snake I now have four the first was a four month old an did handled it but now I get it out an it doesn't mind being handled like the other ones. I havent have any problems with any of them the vet said they are beautiful heathly snakes if u need any help with one if u choose one I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that will give u info I did not find it hard at all just alot of negativity towards being a first time. Ps by the way with the tropical fish u can get filter that cool ur water use to have them before my greens the green are alot less work

Thanks for that exciting things ahead that's for sure HonestPirate has been a fantastic help so far and answered many questions that I have had.

I had aquarium chillier it cost about 1k for my big tank the problem was no power couldn't use the chiller with no power and well I didn't have a bloody geny I do now but I am so over fish now I loved nothing better when the family went away lying down in the quite of the night and watching them at their best for hours on end.

But the cost is just so high and its not an easy thing to do keep PH not having a clean water supply (ocean near by for water changes) people to take care of nit whilst away something always goes wrong when your away etc etc etc so it time to move on or should I say up the evolutionary tree.

I have the room and the money to do what I like within reason as long as they wife does some more OT lol but this isn't going to cost anywhere near what the tanks were that's for sure well it probably could and well I guess when you look at some of the beautiful specimens around you cant deny that this will be wonderful for our family to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back