Oh My God! I've got mites!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dam that really sux afric, I hope you are succesful in treating them, anyone know if mites can kill snakes??

:p I have heard of extreme cases killing herps or they had to be put down due to them,i have spoke to 2 people that have told me this one is a top aussie breeder whose opinions i respect the other was a not so good person so im still unsure.I would think that if not treated and let go it could be possible for this to happen. :p

Best of luck Afric, reminds me that I have been meaning to buy some TOD just in case...

Mites can kill snakes but it would have to be an extreme infestation.
The worst can i've seen was an adult diamond and when it was handled the mites would pop and it looked like the snake was bleeding, your hands would get covered in blood.
This was a snake taken out of the wild and left in a fish tank with not heat and it also had bad mouth rot but it was treated and made a full recoverey.

Oh my friend, I feel so sorry that this is happening to you. I am afraid that this situation will happen to me one day. I hope that all will end well. I can't give you any advice as i have never encountered this experience. Its good that other member on this site can give you some advice. All the best, from your rival Slatey

Mites will not usually kill the snake. However, a snake with a bad infestation of mites will quite probably also have protazoans, mouth rot, lung infections, bacterial infections and such like. Not because the mites cause it but because the snake will be run down and probably neglected.

The best way to diagnose mites early is to look at their eyes. The area around their spectacle gets puffy and whitish if they have mites in this area and in my experience, this is the first area mites will go for.

Damn! Mites....

:( I can't believe that my little girl has got mites! I discovered them for sure on Sunday... I have had her since May with no signs up to now, no new snakes have been introduced.... can't understand where they have come from. However this doesn't matter now, but was does is getting rid of the things!

I have read in these posts reference to a product(?) called TOD. I am in the UK and have not heard of this... what is it? Will I be able to get hold of it?

Any help gratefully received.

so ya have care of australian reptiles in captivity by john weigle that should tell u

Hi Alimor, so sorry to hear of your mite problem. TOD stands for Top Of Descent, it is an aircraft insecticide manufactured in Sydney, Australia and I am sorry I don't know if it is available in the U.K. Maybe make some enquiries in reptile circles there as it is a truly great product. Having just had mites go right through my collection I know how you feel and I wish you well in getting rid of them. Keep us all posted on how you go with it. Good Luck buddy!

i had an affected enclosure not too long ago it only got to one of my enclosures and how they got there .... who knows .... anyway once finding the little buggers i took the reptiles out of there enclosures and soaked them in orange medic and sprayed there enclosure with it also and left to dry before putting reptiles back in the enclosure , and after doing that i spray with tod once a week for the next two weeks just to make sure i got the little buggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back