Oh my god! Oh my god!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This female had eggs last season and unfortunately only 1 hatched hence why shes trying maternal incubation.The only thing i find with maternal Incubation is in the wild the female can find the suitable place to lay her eggs,however in a enclosure she has no-where near as much room,Anyway i hope all goes well this season Candycaine....MARK

sorry my mistake ..all the kafuffle so I thought it was her first time ...good luck anyway candycain

IMO, maternal incubation is harder to get right than artificial incubation, worth trying for sure, but I'd only attempt to once you have experience with incubation in general. What went wrong with her last clutch?

Oh My God. I'm learning so much. Very exciting times eh? Good luck with whatever it is you are doing with the remaining eggs.

This female had eggs last season and unfortunately only 1 hatched hence why shes trying maternal incubation.The only thing i find with maternal Incubation is in the wild the female can find the suitable place to lay her eggs,however in a enclosure she has no-where near as much room,Anyway i hope all goes well this season Candycaine....MARK

Bang on the money!;)

Good luck!!!

Jody,

I hope you didn't discard those eggs, as to the looks of them they are just poorly calsified eggs and not actually all slugs as you may think. Sometimes it can take a few days or occasionally even more for the bloodveins to become apparent. I am glad you seem to have sorted out a bit of your stresses, but if it's not too late, I would be sticking those possible slugs into your incubator and check them again in a few days to a weeks time.

Also as far as being unusual laying only 16 days post prelay, I had a female last season to actually lay without having a prelay shed at all! :shock: figure that one out! LOL. They all drop them when they are ready and sometimes it's early, sometimes late and sometimes, actually on time! :D

Zac.

thanx mate as soon as I read it I was scunging in the bottom of the bin lol god I feel like a tool for chucking them... anyways I re candled and amazing 5 where good eggs its amazing when stress can bugger your thoughts and actions up. so they are in the incubator i now have 5 maybe's and 3 good ones in the incubator.

the others where definate smelly and slugy eggs.

I believe you thats why I commented on that Jason ...I feel for her that she may have got rid of good eggs without knowing ...but as you lot said its hard to know ..especially it being her first ..wasnt having a go at anyone ...

yeah my second but just cause you've bred once doesn't make you a exspert your still learning. and the thing that gets me is cape york eggs are much much smaller compaired to other coastals eggs, so its easy to get the slugs mixed with the good.

LMAO, just read the whole thread Jody..what a crack up! Good luck, i'm sure it will turn out fine..:D & congrats!

thanx everyone

thing that happened last year was everything that can go wrong went wrong....sigh.

first time clutch she layed 28 and only 24 where viable mind you I put the hole lot in the incubator, didn't remove slugs, didn't seperate them they all went in. I however tried the purlite and water method with a basket over the top and eggs onto. not the smartest move I would say, they got way too much moisture the eggs on the bottom started exspanding, I had herific bad luck with bloody fruit flys and them some how getting in the incubator and the container, them laying eggs in the eggs and killing them, exsess heat, my female picked the worst day to lay them when we had a high temp of 49 outside and 47 inside the house. and after that it got worse. the eggs got mould on them and then started dieing one by one. very frustraighting, I cleaned and removed one egg at a time. about a week before hatch date we had a temp drop and a couple cooler days that hit 28 degree's outside, I managed to work out my thermometre/hydo digital device was infact wired backwards and the temp I thought was the inside was infact the outside temp ect. I had 3 eggs left and within the last week of incubation I lost 2 more.

this exsperiance almost made me give up all together on doing it again it wore me down to nothing till the lil guy in the last eggs hatched. every feeling I was having instantly left.

I want this again this feeling. thats why I breed and keep trying to get it right but at this point luck is not on my side. I always bugger everything up even if I've done mass research.

Wow, with luck like that I can see why you would want to give up and not put the female through another season like that. Chin up, things can only get better for you. You sure can learn a lot from such poor attempts/results.
How's last seasons hatchie going?

well um I wouldn't have a clue to tell you the truth. sadly it escaped from my brother. I gave it away to my brother because my hubby said no more snakes and I had promised him for years he would get one. and well his house mates kid's went into his room when he was at work and desided to play with it, braking the lid and lieing about them even being in there. its been missing for about 5 months now and oh we are both pretty annoyed about the hole thing.

I doubt maternal incubation is going to solve the problems you had last season. It might in fact create a whole new set of problems that you aren't quite ready to face. Surely it would have been easier to fix up your incubation tubs/mix and get that incubator setup correctly?

It might be best to find an experienced keeper in your local area. They could probably walk you through the whole breeding process and check every stage of your setup in under an hour.

My 22 cents (inc GST)

I doubt maternal incubation is going to solve the problems you had last season. It might in fact create a whole new set of problems that you aren't quite ready to face. Surely it would have been easier to fix up your incubation tubs/mix and get that incubator setup correctly?
It might be best to find an experienced keeper in your local area. They could probably walk you through the whole breeding process and check every stage of your setup in under an hour.
Agree, probably a good idea.

My 22 cents (inc GST)
People normally offer 2 cent of advice, your advice seems pretty vauable at 10 times the going rate, plus you add GST! LOL :lol:

I've been talking to someone since they layed I am going to start working on a fridge incubator soon I know I should start asap but you need money which I am strugling to keep funds in the bank.

I bought a microclimat 100 yesterday which is a off/on thermostat only used for heatmats I have it in the hide box but the temp is 29deg in there and 31 outside I have it all set up and temp set for 30degs so she can keep them warm with little effort but it doesn't turn on and the tempreture is staying the same. the probe is on the outside of her so the temp inside where the eggs are would be a few more degs then inside the box wouldn't it?

the 5 eggs I recovered from bin are still white and starting to get there creases out there is moisture on side of container and substrate looks good, the humidity is at 50% inside the box and temp is sitting on 30degs even though the heat is on, I talked to a pretty well known and successful breeder yesterday and they recon keep eggs at 32deg which I've been trying to, she also said that I will only need heat cords which I have and I have a big container of water in there. I've put it ontop of some heat cord to try get humidity up eggs are on top shelf as well sitting ontop of heat cord. the outside temp is at 30 -31.

any idea??? the thermostat for the incubator is a microclimat B1.

I might be getting a visito on friday or saturday from a chick on this site to help me with anython that needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back