Oh the stress!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
he didnt get a UEI(i think thats it) because of the courses he took..... he went from doing 3U maths and computing to doing basic maths because he couldnt be bothered.....yr 11 he had his sights on going to uni at ADFA but then saw his stepbrother bludging around the house doing 12hrs a week somewhere and playing xbox the rest of the time...very frustrating......****s me off no end

he didnt get a UEI(i think thats it) because of the courses he took..... he went from doing 3U maths and computing to doing basic maths because he couldnt be bothered.....yr 11 he had his sights on going to uni at ADFA but then saw his stepbrother bludging around the house doing 12hrs a week somewhere and playing xbox the rest of the time...very frustrating......****s me off no end

Kick em out :p
When I was growing up the rules were work, uni or out the door. I did an apprenitceship when I left school after year 11. I was mad becaues I had to pay board while my sisters and brother at uni did not. I also had to buy my own car when they got given their first cars... In hind sight I realise my parents were teaching me the value of money and hard work. That things in life are not free. Bought my first house at 24 as well as many overseas trips to the USA and europe. These days I make well above average wage doing electrical design for a mining company.... There are heaps of career paths available to young people today.. I'm still not as financially successful as my younger brother who bought a $1.8m house at the age of 30... But we cant all average HD on a commerce/engineering double degree :) Some people just have the smarts to excel financially in this game we call life :p

My first house. Sold it 2 years later and made $150k and moved to perth where houses were more than twice as much, which sucked. But moral of my story is I'm grateful for my parents tough love approach and not letting me play games on the couch all day.
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just also add for the young people.

You can do what you love for work. Or do what you love for free.

If you love animals you can work at a zoo, but perhaps not make much money.
You could make a lot of money as a process engineer, and keep animals for free as a hobby.

For me I have a lot of interests. IE reptiles, birds, photography, computers, windsurfing, travel etc. So it made sense for me to chase the dollar and pay for the things I love or do them for free, rather than being paid to do the things I love. If I opened up a windsurfing school I probably wouldnt be able to afford new $2000 camera lens's or new enclosures etc. Some people get the best of both worlds which is great! But that wasnt going to work for me sadly.

Just advice I was given at school that has stuck with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I left school when I was 15, got a trade qualification, went back to school when I was 18(family friend was the principle) and did year 11 and 12.
Got a high enough ENTER(Vic's HSC) score to get into the best course in the state for what I wanted to study.
HATED! Uni and dropped out after the first semester, and started working in bars.

That was 12 years ago and now I've been running venues for over 7 years, and earn way more than if I had have stuck to my studies and landed an upper role in the field I was studying in.
Planning to own and run my own venue within the next 5 years.

When you're young it never hurts to have a good education behind you, but remember things change through time and what you love now you might not in a few years. As you age you'll find your career path and hopefully be happy with what you do.

I've already completed my first university degree and I am seriously considering going back and studying zoology next year with the intention of working in a reptile based environment. I am aware there is absolutely no money in it and I will be competing with just about every 'fresh out of the HSC' students for the top grade... It all comes down to passion and what you really want to do. But honestly, do what you love, I regret not heading down the zoology course immediately out of school like I had wanted too but my parents convinced me because you literally work for a bowl of rice. I'm just grateful I'll have substitute highschool teaching to fall back on if I need some extra money to pay the bills. Perhaps if you're considering zoology, think about a fall back too... You have to work volunteer in zoos for years before getting a 30k a year paycheck.

its not the end of the world,but if you don't get it right,it very well could be

yeh, no pressure or anything.. :?

don't stress, dude. the educational system in this country is top notch. if you screw up now, you can fix it later.

The best advice I've ever received was attempt to be the best at everything you do. Study the best you can, work the best you can, play the best you can and you'll be set. It's always worked for me, even if I don't achieve what I set out to, I have no regrets over the effort I put in. Best of luck and I hope you get to achieve everything you set out to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back