OK, it's time to ask.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
As I appear to be monitor bound I would like to ask for husbandry reccommendations for Varanus Storri, and, is it pronounced storey or store-eye? Thanks in advance :)

omg a serious post, well done mate :)

as far as pronouncing species names, ive always thought the ones ending in 'i' were all pronounced "eye". so as not to distort the name.

correct me if im wrong... *looks around for hix*

The suffix 'i' is correctly pronounced 'ee' in Latin. The first part is named after a person, so it is pronounced the way they say their name; in this case it would be Storr (as in store), so you get 'store-ee' as the correct way to say it.

However, most people will pronounce it 'store-eye'. This includes professional zoologists and taxonomists.

And in situations where you have a 'ii' suffix (as in kingii, boydii, stephensii etc) it is pronounced king-ee-ee, boyd-ee-ee, stephens-ee-ee. Although most people (me included) probably say king-ee-eye etc.

The suffix 'i' is Latin and means 'pertaining too'. I'm not sure why some have two i's (except in obvious cases where the first part ends in an i, like decressii).

:p

Hix

Harold Ehman's book gives the pronunciations and has it as Storr-ee. Like Hix said.

It's probably easier just to refer to them as Storr's.

:p

Hix

Varanus Storri, Total Length 400mm. Robust, with this thick spiny round tail. Two sub species described, storri and ocreatus.

Terrestrial and rock inhabiting favouring low weathered outcrops which may support large communities.

-- paraphrased from Wilson and Swan.

It sounds like this will be a fun enclosure to build.

They like to kill each other too. Have a look in the reptiles magazine from america. They had a big article on them. I know its american but info is hard to come by these days. After all they like keeping these guys indoors. And that is what we do in melbourne you know. I might even be able to post you the info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back