Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ricko,
Personally I would keep them separate, it's easier for feeding etc, as well as familiarity, but plenty have bred by being kept together year round.
As far as the water-cross possibility goes, I wouldn't know what to do, I am not that familiar with all the state rules etc on cross breeds, but I wouldn't personally like to see any in circulation.
It's only a slim chance she has retained water python sperm anyway, but one you needed to be aware of.
Neil

sxereturn said:
Yeah I'd put them in a tub, and give them a nice CO2 sleep...

Just a note, but this is not a recommended way to euthanize reptiles. Works well for small mammals with high metabolisms, but not so well for reptiles.

i have a question for all you in australia(i am in the usa), as far as olive breeding i have herd that size is important i have a pair of 10 footers, that i recently had gottin, the guy i got them from said they wouldn't breed for a few more years but i have documented their breeding, i am wondering if it is that they breed later in the season and it takes a few years for them to adjust to the times verses other snakes that all breed around the same time?????

JC,
I presume that if you are in the USA that the Olives are CB, if so they should breed the same as any other species of python, I am not really up on Olives, but understand from others that they do have to be a fair size to breed and that age is more important than it is with other Aussie pythons.
I would have said 10ft is large enough, but what age are they? Do you suspect that they have been power fed?
Just because they are mating, doesn't mean you will get fertile egg's, they have to be cycled like most other pythons to get fertile egg's.
Neil

I was under the impression that as Olives as from up north, they breed earlier in the season than most other pythons.
A guy who gave a show and tell at our herp meeting said that they not the easiest python to breed and did not know of anyone that had successful bred Olives this year. (possibly because of the drought..I'm just quoting)

Hi Greebo,
I think that with JC's Olives it wouldn't make any difference, as they are in the Northern hemisphere(USA), the seasons are different, and what with them almost certainly being many generation cb animals, it wouldn't make any difference when it came to breeding.
As I stated earlier, you can change the season artificially if you so wanted to, but why would you want or need to really.
I have heard also they are difficult to breed, but more difficult to get the egg's to hatch, people used to incubate them to hot, which lead to deformaties etc..
Bigguy, Do you breed Olives?, maybe you could give more info.

one of my female olives is 6ft and three kilos and laid 14 good eggs last year[not planned] another of my female olives is 12ft and over 10 kilos and laid nothing[not planned]so don't beleive the size thing with olives.
slateman my olives and bhp's would be into it now if i let em,to early though.

obee

NCHERPS, my 2 are 4 year olds from vpi reptile, the barkers, they have been fed every other week, the guy i got them from said that he didn't power feed, but then again you never know what you are going to hear when you are about to give a guy $1000. lol,

JC,
If they are 4 yrears old then 10' sounds ok.
Theres no reason why they shouldn't breed.
If you need more info on them, your probably best to email the Barkers through their website, they will be able to give you more specific info on how to breed them and when(ie.In the USA).
Good luck with them, there great snakes.

$1000 for a 10' pair is pretty good specially if you can handle them quite easily.

hehe funny one. my 8ft female is about 5kg is that big enough to breed?

Ricko,
Don't forget that's a $1000 US, but with the exchange rate as it is, yes compared to Australia it's a good price.
In the US of course, there are alot more of them, so generally the price is lower, but to get animals from VPI blood at that price sounds like a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back