Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
riding a horse is far more dangerous than the possibility of a snake bite ^_^ If he falls... he could break his neck... and they wouldnt be able to move him... they would need to wait ages for flying ambulance.

it isnt risk factor to them, it was just easy, so they did it.

But that aside... the real guilty party here is channel ten... so please if you have taken the time to write here... take the time to complain to channel ten as well :)

riding a horse is far more dangerous than the possibility of a snake bite ^_^ If he falls... he could break his neck... and they wouldnt be able to move him... they would need to wait ages for flying ambulance.

it isnt risk factor to them, it was just easy, so they did it.

But that aside... the real guilty party here is channel ten... so please if you have taken the time to write here... take the time to complain to channel ten as well :)

Yes but apart from not riding the horse they cant remove that risk. Killing the snake does remove the risk. I accept that MOST of the time it isn't the most appropriate action but people need to realise that on rare occasions it is the most effective method of diffusing the situation. Can we agree on this?

Riding a horse is a necessity for them though... setting foot outside the house at all is a huge risk - what if you break your ankle on someone's boot on the front step? Having a shower - you could slip and crack your head!! Oh my God we'd better all sit inside in bubble wrap and never bathe.

The fact is that yes, their life includes risk that are not really avoidable - driving cars, riding horses, flying choppers. But when a snake is in the yard it is very easy to reduce that risk, so they do.

I don't understand some say it is a time issue some say it is a safety issue but i totally disagree this is an ignorance issue, by 1 the woman who killed the snake and 2 by the tv station that aired it this bieng channel 10. Fine they might kill 100s of snakes a year all around the country but i (we who hate it) don't get to see it and that is exactly the way i would like it i am working very hard to take the only good snake is a dead snake opinion out of my misses and my son and the people who know that i keep snakes so to see this on tv is just wrong..... WRONG I TELL YOU!!!!

I don't understand some say it is a time issue some say it is a safety issue but i totally disagree this is an ignorance issue, by 1 the woman who killed the snake and 2 by the tv station that aired it this bieng channel 10. Fine they might kill 100s of snakes a year all around the country but i (we who hate it) don't get to see it and that is exactly the way i would like it i am working very hard to take the only good snake is a dead snake opinion out of my misses and my son and the people who know that i keep snakes so to see this on tv is just wrong..... WRONG I TELL YOU!!!!
WITH YOU ON THAT ONE ........I just took a look at the episode on the website ...the killing part was done cruelly that snake is in agony and she severs it a few times,pushing the shovel down on it and trying to cut through its tiny body, no instant death here... so even if you say its ok to kill ,surely you can understand and agree that killing the way she did was barbaric and ever so cruel ...

Also I am not so sure on that being an actual brown snake the belly was plain not a speck in sight and the Pseudonaja textilis inframacula which doesnt present with specks on the belly isnt found there...someone that is more on the know about browns in that region could help out ...take a squiz at the video footage on the website and see if you can ID ...

I think that it is totally the wrong message to be sending out to the general population to kill a snake because it "might" be a danger to a child. As for the argument of killing snakes in the home paddock, I wonder how many snakes there are in that home paddock that are well concealed in shed's, roof's etc and not slithering across open grass where the one was that was killed. Obviously little Milton did the right thing in staying away and alerting his parents, education is the key here. What about the croc pen they have on the property, little Milton "might" climb the fence and go into the croc pen, but he would have been warned of the dangers there. Senseless killing IMO

...I wonder how many snakes there are in that home paddock that are well concealed in shed's, roof's etc and not slithering across open grass where the one was that was killed.
Arrgghh exactly!! That's the whole point. They kill the ones they can SEE so they DON'T go hide in the shed, roof etc. They obviously aren't going to tear apart their buildings looking for a snake but if they SEE one then they kill it so it doesn't hide somewhere where it might bite someone!

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, and I wouldn't do it, and I don't think they should have aired it but come on people see both sides of the coin!

great thread.
Some good opinions and points from all views
Back to what PhilK said.
Anyone actually do anything?

Arrgghh exactly!! That's the whole point. They kill the ones they can SEE so they DON'T go hide in the shed, roof etc. They obviously aren't going to tear apart their buildings looking for a snake but if they SEE one then they kill it so it doesn't hide somewhere where it might bite someone!

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, and I wouldn't do it, and I don't think they should have aired it but come on people see both sides of the coin!

Well said Phil :rolleyes::lol:

After reading the whole thread it still eludes me to think how the 'back yard' conservationists are the total opposite to these ppl but still single minded.

They live on 1.3 million acres - it is not like in the event of a snake bite that they can drive to the hospital. I too in those circumstances, would probably do the same thing. (They went shopping to buy the young rookie some clothes to their nearest centre - 200klm away)

Of all the members of this forum from suburbia - how many of you have actually spent time in the bush, on a remote station or outside of 200km radius of a hospital??? (And I don't mean taking your city slicker 4wd on the dirt either for a weekend).

Yes it probably shouldn't have been broad casted on tv the way it did - but at the end of the day - it is a reality tv show about life on a remote cattle station in the top end. So YES! they do do things a little differently.

Send Channel 10 and email and they "might" but a blurb up at the end of the show stating that it is not best practice the "KILL" animals - but relocate where possible.

Thats my 2 cents worth - flame away :evil:

yer i seen keeping up with the joneses its a good show but i was angry they did that my mum was watching it to and she said they have to do that and i was like no they dont

yer i seen keeping up with the joneses its a good show but i was angry they did that my mum was watching it to and she said they have to do that and i was like no they dont

'an she was lke yer... 'n I was like nahhh... lol

I actually like the show... will take the wife beating rumour with a grain of salt, I dont agree with the snake killing but am realistic enough to know that it happens, although I do not condone it.

all the people saying that they should be fined and stuff ( i agree do not get me wrong) need to remember it is illigal to brek a law unless humman life is endangrd...you can speed if your mate cut his leg off so some thing. i do agree she could of just left it or relocate it to a better place, the other thing to remember is that they are a while away from medical help so if bitten by a snake they have a long way to medical supplys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back