Opinions on raising Lace monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to all those who genuinely helped out. This was a question just to raise a bit of discussion on the topic, not to cause pointless arguments. Thank you again to those who had some really helpful points and discussions.
I have a lot of experience in different varieties of snake and lizard, including adult Laceys. This is my first juvenile, and I did hours upon hours of research before the purchase and saw (& heard) a lot of conflicting methods of what's best - mostly in terms of how to bond with your animal.
This post was an attempt to just get a wider, refreshed opinion from those in the know - I have already gained a lot of brilliant advice & know-how from crocdoc as he is the breeder (with the great reputation) I bought mine from.
I really just wanted a bit of discussion, so thanks for that those who helped - much appreciated :)

If you follow crocdoc's advice, then you can't go wrong. You'll have a very hard time finding someone with more knowledge on lacies then him.

If he hasn't already given you one, get him to email you the lacie care sheet he wrote, everything you need to know to keep your monitor happy is on that.

Good luck.

To be honest, if you follow crocdoc's advice then you don't need any other opinions.

agree with previous posts, get a care sheet of crocdoc and you can't go wrong. also feed your lace monitor whole food e.g mice, rats, chickens, quails, rabbits ect they need to eat the internal organs to get alot of the vitamins they need to have a healthy diet and live a good long life. basking spot of 50-55c is recomended plus make sure it has a cool end in the enclosure. you will need a large enclosure as they grow to 1.5m to 2m.

but i am sure you know all this already. good luck

Whole foods, appropriate temperatures and minimal handling are more or less the basics of all reptile keeping

One trick I found with most reptiles especially bigger lizards is simple

Drop a piece of your used hot sweaty clothing in with them
I find they more quickly associate that scent with no danger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back