Opinions on this. I do not like it.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davobmx

Reaction score
Found this on gumtree
i hope this python has not always been kept in this setup.

Whats your Opinion. Also $2000? Is he joking.

[ NO LINKS THANKS ]

Last edited by a moderator:
I reckon that link will be gone in about..... ohhhh 5 minutes?

Yea, pretty pricey.... it is WA tho... I hear it is pretty hard to get licenced over there? I bought my 2 spotteds off a guy who came to Qld with his snakes, from WA and wasnt allowed to take his snakes back! Evidently you arent allowed to bring ANY reptiles into WA?

He is prolly justifying the high price on the fact they arent readily available? Can you get snakes easily or cheaply in WA?

Last edited:
A bit small caging there and a VERY steep price

It's steep in w.a but not outrageous.
from a pet shop you are looking at $600-$800 for a hatchie/juvie and $900-$1000 for an adult.
and breeders can be as low as $350 up to $800 for a hatchie.

And these beautiful pythons are everywhere in the pet trade as they are the only carpets we can keep .

Yeh WA defiantly sucks when it comes to reptiles. And I have noticed prices being a bit more expensive as we dont have as many breeders and such.

What I would do for a gtp *sigh*. One day..... :cry:

Cant you just go on holidays and one finds its way into the boot of your car? Or do they still have the 'gallows' in WA? Do they frisk you at the border? Internal cavity search? hehehehe

Come over to Australia Zoo and buy a whole heap of rubber snakes and put your real one in the box with them as you cross the border.... if the cops stop you, act all innocent and say "CRIKEY.... one of the buggers has come to life!!!"

That enclosure is only 2ft, not 4.5.

Even if you price it as follows its a bit rich:
$1000 for the snake
$300 enclosure,
$200 Other random crap (thermostat/ heatglobe, water bowl etc.)

That leaves $500 profit on top.

What are the poor snake comments coming from? The set up looks fine to me... Maybe just needs some more sticks for the height, but other wise I don't see anything wrong at all.

You can keep only WA endemics in WA, and you can import them from the east if you wish to pay the very high import fees imposed by DEC, but there is a total ban on importing pythons into WA, even the species listed as legal. This is said to be for disease prevention reasons, but the diseases are just as likely to be carried by elapids as well, OPMV especially, so it's stupid constraint - I believe it's to prevent the possibility of carpet forms being cross-bred with M. imbricata.

THis seller is breaking the law anyway - reptiles can only be sold by licensed dealers in WA, keepers cannot sell directly to another keeper (although that was up for review - anyone know whether that has changed recently?).

Jamie

Not the biggest of enclosures, but still bigger than most tubs commonly used these days. Price was the biggest problem.

What are the poor snake comments coming from? The set up looks fine to me... Maybe just needs some more sticks for the height, but other wise I don't see anything wrong at all.

While I understand most snakes don't require huge amounts of space, I do believe they should be given enough room to stretch out. Although it is an ideality, it would be nice if we could provide an enclosure that a snake can wholy stretch out in. I'm not silly enough to think that this is always possible, but if you can only provide a 2ft viv then maybe stick with and antaresia for the time being. For the sake of the animal.

I mean, you could survive locked in a bedroom or bathroom all of your life - but it wouldn't really be nice, would it?

You can keep only WA endemics in WA, and you can import them from the east if you wish to pay the very high import fees imposed by DEC, but there is a total ban on importing pythons into WA, even the species listed as legal. This is said to be for disease prevention reasons, but the diseases are just as likely to be carried by elapids as well, OPMV especially, so it's stupid constraint - I believe it's to prevent the possibility of carpet forms being cross-bred with M. imbricata.

THis seller is breaking the law anyway - reptiles can only be sold by licensed dealers in WA, keepers cannot sell directly to another keeper (although that was up for review - anyone know whether that has changed recently?).

Jamie

i dont think they have updated or are they likely to when it means more money for them

Jamie

Keeper to keeper trading was knocked back in the WAHS submission. DEC feels they cant keep track of things if we were to have the same rights as the native bird keepers and the rest of Australia for that matter... Also what would they do without the $1000 dealers licenses to line their pockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back