OPMV (Paramyxoviral demyelinating encephalitis.)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Jason stated, the person in this case was/is a reputable breeder.

It comes back to that you just simply don't know, you could buy from the best and still have this problem. The person in question I doubt very much knew had this in his collection and probably had no signs of the disease in their collection as yet. Hopefully after they are informed of this, they are able to contact the people they sold reptiles to recently.

I feel the same way as you do Ad, between this and increasing hybridising, we are unsure about buying captive reptiles again.

The scary thing is, think of the number of people that have lost pythons to RI lately or pythons that have just died without any symptoms. Most people don't get an autopsy done due to the large cost...it's a real worry alright.

O.P.M.V Virus

Description

Causes epidemics of fatal respiratory tract disease in snakes. Most commonly seen in vipers, rattlessnakes but also seen in elapids, colubrids and boids. Was first diagnosed as a viral disease in 1976 and has been identified as the cause of numerous epidemics in snake collections in Europe and the USA since then. And time of these otes it had not been seen in Australia, but we all know it since has.

Clinical Signs

There are at least three presentations of the disease.

(1) Acute - minimal or no premonitory signs before death. Anorexia, regurgitation, respiratory compromise and neurological signs may be seen

(2) Chronic "poor doers" - anorexia, regurigitation, weight loss, lethargy for many months before more specific respiratory signs (stridor and dyspnoea) develop. Secondary bacterial pneumonia and protozoal enteritis usually occur. Animals eventually die, but they are active shedders, posing a threat to collections.

(3) Healthy carriers _ asymptomatic virus shedders for up to 10 months; most eventually become chronic "poor doers" and die. Some cases are reported to have spontaneously recovered.

Diagnosis

Pre- mortem diagnosis is presumptive only as there are no diagnostic tests available. Virus isolation attempts have been unsuccessful and postive serology (HI available in US) suggests recent exposure but does not give conclusive evidence of infection. Diagnosis is at autopsy. The main finding is a necrotising pneumonia. Tissues should be collected for histopath, EM and viral isolation.

Prevention

Ideally serology during quarantine of new arrivals to a collection. Attempts are being made to produce a vaccine.

This is some of Dr Helen McCrackens research notes. Some is a little outdated but should hopefully help answer some questions to ppl who do not understand o.p.m.v or viral infections.

i ain't typing out the rest otherwise i will be here all day lol :)

I just want to know exactly what HEAD LULLING is?

It sounds to me like the snake hangs its head.. but lots of snakes do that while they are in their branches.. is there a difference we should be aware of?

Deb64 said:
I just want to know exactly what HEAD LULLING is?

It sounds to me like the snake hangs its head.. but lots of snakes do that while they are in their branches.. is there a difference we should be aware of?

That should be LOLLING.
Think extreme cerebal palsey but in another it was similar to tetinus where the movements are robotic and limited and another was so weak it didnt even hold its head up.

I have tried to contact the breeder today & left my number but havent herd back yet!!!!!!!!
I will name him in a instant if he wont claim responcibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I will now try his email.
I do think every one should start Quarantining ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We should also have a testing avalible by blood as thats what they do in USA.
I do think this is a much bigger problem then we realise.
Sorry to scare but you all should be!
Jason

Hi All
Just an update, this prick that sold the Womas is not takeing responcibility!!!!!
Since he sells GTPs I rekond he will be hurting a lot when his name is SH_T !!
It looks like this will be going to court for full cost of the womas,Vet bills, loss of wages + court fees & the lot!
I have proof that he has it in his collection recently & lied numerusly in emails.
I think he may also have others make claims when they have there reptiles die from OPMV & with his history will have no grounds to stand on!!!
Is slander when you cant prove what your saying?
Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm very sorry to hear that this person isn't taking responsibility...I'm very surprised actually.

Please keep us posted on how things go, from what you have said, this sounds like a very unfair case.

It's scary to think how many others could be affected, especially with high end snakes.

It looks like this will be going to court for full cost of the womas,Vet bills, loss of wages + court fees & the lot!

Unless you can prove he knew he had it when he sold you the snakes, then its not worth it.

Is slander when you cant prove what your saying?

No, its when you say something about someone which is not true and slanders there name. Like Pete dresses up in womens underwear. hehe. No, its only proved when the claim made is not proven to be true and the person whom the claim is made against suffers a provable loss because of it in simple terms..

Hi Nome
You would think that he would pay up & quarantine for 12 months & get on with his investment with out making to much waves?
But looks like its going to be a hard road for him?

Lifes full of hurdles! Its how you jump them that matters!

Did you watch the Australian tarantulas documentry the other day of animal planet?
It was tops!!

All the best,
Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back