orange medic concern

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PilbaraPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Has any used on their reptiles orange medic plus which contains tea tree oil in it. We normally use the standard stuff but it seems that they no longer make it. I am a little cautious and must admit I am not sure how safe the tea tree oil is when used on pythons. Has anyone had any problems when using it or know any thing in regards to potential toxicity of tea tree oil to reptiles.

Have heard from 2 reliable sources that say don't use it. Tea tree oil is not good for snakes. Our chemists overhere appear to only to stock the plus brand also, so that may be the end of this as a mite treatment.

Ive been told by snake freinds that natural aloe vera gel can be used effectivly and safely to kill mites on snakes and lizards, avoiding heat pits and ears. you basically rub a good coat all over and it smothers them. Then wipe off after an hour or two, befor returning to the pre-treated cage. TOD is best for cages.

Frontline spray can be used safely on snakes and their enclosures, just wipe over the snake after having sprayed some onto a cloth, then spray enclosure, remembering to remove the water bowl. The only downside is that it is expensive, on a plus side you can treat your cats and dogs to!
Just a word of caution though, don't use on or around lizards, particularly thin skinned animals like Gecko's, they don't get on with it.

Top of decent is also great to, again remember to remove the water bowl.

Neil

Permoxin is good for getting rid of mites.Its a permethrin based insecticide used for flea and tick control on dogs and horses .This product was recomended to me by reputable herp vet Clayton Knights .It is mixed with water in a spray bottle at 10ml per 400ml of water,it will kill mites and ticks on contact when applied,Clayton recomends that you rinse it off after treatment .I have used this product for some time now and have found it to be safe and effective.

Dont use it Pilbara,
I used the new stuff last year and nearly lost two Snakes, they had a bad toxic reaction. Luckily i got them too Dr Brendan Carmel and he saved them with atropine and fluid injections.
He then put me onto fidos flea rinse concentrate and avisafe

I am with Swampie on this. I have been using Permoxin (available from vet clinics over the counter) with large success and it is heaps cheaper as the mix ratio is better. Doesn't stink either. $10 for a 250ml bottle that makes 10 litres.

Mix it up, dunk the snake in, then dunk the snake in a bucket of fresh water, then back into the permoxin sprayed and rinsed cage.

The mix is stable, so can be kept premixed in a bottle for spot cage sprays if needed.

Can you really use frontline? the smell of that alone is enough to make me sick, wouldnt it stuff with the snakes sense of smell? Does TOD smell? and can i use frontline in the enclosure as well as on the snake? and do you have dilute the frontline before you use it? and should you use something like TOD in a preventitive manor, as iv never seen a mite, but i dont want to either.... ? and can you use TOD directly on the snake, as ive been told yes, but it was from someone who like to hear himself speak..... (noone you guys know)

Angel

I used to use TOD. I only stopped because it was so expensive with a big collection. Yes, you can spray it in the enclosure while the snake is in there.

Take out the water bowls, give the bowls a soak in water (fully submerged) and while they are soaking, fog the cage (complete with snake in it) with a couple of seconds of TOD spray. the air in the cage will go white and foggy. Make sure you get all corners and edges.

Leave it to settle (I like to give a few hours) then put the freshly cleaned water bowls back in. It's that easy. I thoroughly recommend it for smaller collections or one or two snakes. :D

..and no, I wouldn't use it unless you have to.

Very occassionally, if I have a rehab in that looks a little 'sus'', I may give it a spray in a pillowcase before housing it, but I try not to, as I would prefer to use as little chemical as possible, on or around the snakes.

No, the eyecaps protect those.
Although, when badly infested you will see swollen 'tissue' around the eye that has no protection, possibly it may sting there, I really don't know. I have used it on rehabs that were that bad, without visible signs of irritation.
The trick is to spot an infestation before the swelling tissue becomes evident and the infestation becomes that bad.

Re: RE: orange medic concern

Top Of Descent - spray. (TOD) Once you have tried it you will wonder why you ever bothered with Orange Medic.

The Herp Shop has it for $16.50 a can but it is fairly widely available from a number of places.

dobermanmick said:
What else can we use ?

RE: Re: RE: orange medic concern

I assume top of descent kills ticks ? We don't have a problem with mites, only ticks in large numbers.

RE: Re: RE: orange medic concern

TOD is mediocre at best. If the tick is loose TOD will get it, but it hasn't worked well for me on ticks already in place. It's 50 / 50 on ticks IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back